Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2019, 07:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Old lenses are calling...

Well, can't say I'm new to Pentax, can't say I have spent my life with it either, but enough to make some conclusions that I have made right choice. But, despite the fact that I'm very pleased using my current lenses, I feel somehow uncomfortable and unpentaxian because I didn't used any of the legendary old lenses I've heard of so many times.

Before I'll find budget to get them, I'de like to try some cheaper ones. Now, when I live at the place where you can't just simply try Pentax lenses before you buy it, I absolutly depend on reviews and people using them. Anyway, I think it is priceless when someone shares experiences and opinions regarding their gear.

I read a lot about M, A, F lenses and got an idea what they are but not sure what to get first. Or leave it for future and fight for FAs?

Considering that I find myself enjoy shooting more primes, what would be your suggestion?

07-07-2019, 07:11 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Well, can't say I'm new to Pentax, can't say I have spent my life with it either, but enough to make some conclusions that I have made right choice. But, despite the fact that I'm very pleased using my current lenses, I feel somehow uncomfortable and unpentaxian because I didn't used any of the legendary old lenses I've heard of so many times.

Before I'll find budget to get them, I'de like to try some cheaper ones. Now, when I live at the place where you can't just simply try Pentax lenses before you buy it, I absolutly depend on reviews and people using them. Anyway, I think it is priceless when someone shares experiences and opinions regarding their gear.

I read a lot about M, A, F lenses and got an idea what they are but not sure what to get first. Or leave it for future and fight for FAs?

Considering that I find myself enjoy shooting more primes, what would be your suggestion?
I don't have a lot of older glass, but my favourite is probably the FA 50 macro.
07-07-2019, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

As a starting point, you can't go wrong with fast 50's. They are inexpensive and awesome. Plenty to choose from. K, M, A, F, FA etc. One of my absolute favorites in the A 50/1.7. One of the most affordable lenses is the A50 f2. Dirt cheap and very good. then there are the older M42 screwmount that easily adapt to K-mount like the 55/1.8. My only word of caution is beware: this can get addictive

Thanks,
07-07-2019, 07:32 AM - 3 Likes   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a huge fan of the K lenses (24/2.8, 35/2, 35/3.5, 55/2) and the A (50/1.4, 100/4 Macro, 200/4), but also Tamron's Adaptall series - especially their 24/2.5 and 90/2.5 lenses....

07-07-2019, 07:43 AM   #5
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Hello,

As a starting point, you can't go wrong with fast 50's. They are inexpensive and awesome. Plenty to choose from. K, M, A, F, FA etc. One of my absolute favorites in the A 50/1.7. One of the most affordable lenses is the A50 f2. Dirt cheap and very good. then there are the older M42 screwmount that easily adapt to K-mount like the 55/1.8. My only word of caution is beware: this can get addictive

Thanks,
hahah. That's for sure!! but I'll try to be strong I've had an eye on A 50 1.7, looks great. Didn't want to look at M42 yet because it need an adapter.
07-07-2019, 09:01 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking into the future, In Phase II of this journey (M42 lenses), make sure you get an original Pentax M42 to K adapter. The cheap adapters are a headache and you will end up buying several to find one that works. Go for the original.

Now, on Phase III (Yes, there will be a Phase III: T-mount lenses): Generic T-mount to K adapters: Similarly, avoid some of the cheap adapters. I have modified cheap ones to make them fit but it is a hassle and could compromise the integrity of the adapter.

Thanks,
07-07-2019, 09:35 AM   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

hahah. That's for sure!! but I'll try to be strong I've had an eye on A 50 1.7, looks great. Didn't want to look at M42 yet because it need an adapter.

the M42 adapter issue is easily solved: buy a good used last-gen DSLR (or even 2 generations old, like a K-5 IIs), mount the adapter on it with the idea that it's now your M42 body and never take the adapter off....

then go lens shopping...

07-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have the Pentax-M 50/1.7 and 135/3.5. At 20€ each, they are an absolute steal! The images produced are just lovely (I particularly adore the rendition of the greens) and they are small, very well-built beauties.

I would go for the A-series if possible, but for me that would have increased the cost quite noticeably.
07-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
As a starting point, you can't go wrong with fast 50's.
If you go to the Pentax lens review page here on the forum and look at the list of the 10 Most Popular Lenses near the top of the page, you'll see that 4 of the 10 are fast 50s. They are all older lenses, and they are the most popular for a very good reason. I have the M 50mm f1.7 and love it. (It was my sharpest lens until I got my F 100mm f2.8 Macro.) This lens has had 708,051 views as of today, and 221 reviews including one from a few days ago. That reviewer gave it all 10s. If you don't mind an all-manual lens, you can have a pro quality lens at a thrift store price.
07-07-2019, 10:55 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Chek out the various Lens Clubs. for lots of examples from prospective candidate lenses.
07-07-2019, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Old lenses are calling...
Aye they do that... next thing you know you end up with a noisy harem like mine.
07-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
Chek out the various Lens Clubs. for lots of examples from prospective candidate lenses.

and the Sample Photo Archives, too

Lens Sample Photo Archive - PentaxForums.com
07-07-2019, 01:16 PM   #13
Unregistered User

The other great bargain M lens is the 135 f3.5
Compact an sharp, usually priced under $30
07-07-2019, 01:55 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Backward support of the old lenses is where Pentax shines the brightest IMO.

There are so many options for you. Even though I now have the 3 queens (well worth it on FF IMO), I still occasionally use an M42 Super Takumar 50 f1.4, just because I like the character of the bokeh.

As previously stated a fast 50 on FF is a good starting point but generally pick a focal length you like or are missing.
07-07-2019, 02:01 PM   #15
Pentaxian

My Super Program was kitted with a Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, which was my primary lens for the 12-1/2 years I used that camera, mostly loaded with Kodachrome 25. When I got my K-30, I was surprised when that lens gave me even better detail with the 16mp sensor than it did with Kodachrome.

These days, the few times I use that camera, I use it mostly with an 8-element Takumar 50mm f/1.4; I took the spring off an adapter, so the adapter is more attached to the lens than to the body - in essence it functions as a K-mount lens. I have a "Mir 1b" 37mm f/2.8 lens when I want something a tad wider, and it also gives me good detail {those old Soviet lenses are valued for their bokeh, but I hardly ever use it "wide open"}.