Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
07-07-2019, 02:16 PM   #16
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I don't have a lot of older glass, but my favourite is probably the FA 50 macro.
always wanted to try 50mm macro, even though I mainly use 100mm for macro work and think that more reach would be great

---------- Post added 07-07-19 at 02:26 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I'm a huge fan of the K lenses (24/2.8, 35/2, 35/3.5, 55/2) and the A (50/1.4, 100/4 Macro, 200/4), but also Tamron's Adaptall series - especially their 24/2.5 and 90/2.5 lenses....
wow that a lot. As I know, there's a big price difference between A 50/1.4 and A 50/1.2 and little in practice, right? How do you compare K vs A in terms of image quality and character?

---------- Post added 07-07-19 at 02:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Looking into the future, In Phase II of this journey (M42 lenses), make sure you get an original Pentax M42 to K adapter. The cheap adapters are a headache and you will end up buying several to find one that works. Go for the original.

Now, on Phase III (Yes, there will be a Phase III: T-mount lenses): Generic T-mount to K adapters: Similarly, avoid some of the cheap adapters. I have modified cheap ones to make them fit but it is a hassle and could compromise the integrity of the adapter.

Thanks,
T-Mount? god... another one to learn

07-07-2019, 02:30 PM - 2 Likes   #17
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The A 50mm 1.7 and the A 28mm 2.8 are the default lenses on my K1. And that is from a personal stash of lenses that number in the hundreds. These two consistantly stand up there with more modern glass in IQ and give you the simplicity of manual functions.
As soon as you go back to these A series and earlier lenses you are confronted with manual focusing. How well you cope with MF will be the deal maker/breaker for you.
If you can cope this old glass will take you to a new level of photographic understanding
07-07-2019, 02:30 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Pentaxian

the M42 adapter issue is easily solved: buy a good used last-gen DSLR (or even 2 generations old, like a K-5 IIs), mount the adapter on it with the idea that it's now your M42 body and never take the adapter off....
then go lens shopping...

My choice of older body for permanent M42 use is my 6 mega-pixel *ist DS. My reasoning was this. If I'm going to the effort of getting "arty-crafty" with some older primes (and I've got a drawer-full) I'll probably be "filling the viewfinder" with subject matter, much as I used to try to on film, so I won't be needing the extra resolution of a "better" sensor. There is also argument that the rendition of the older CCD sensors is at least different or desirable, if not actually superior to that of the later CMOS sensors.

Just my tuppence worth ... obviously YMMV
07-07-2019, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #19
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote

wow that a lot. As I know, there's a big price difference between A 50/1.4 and A 50/1.2 and little in practice, right? How do you compare K vs A in terms of image quality and character?

there's quite a bit of practice involved, even with an f1.4 lens - I find the A lenses more forgiving as far as overexposure, etc, because the coating improved over the years.... plus the convenience of the 'A' setting on the aperture ring...

but, to be honest, the word 'character' is just us making allowances for lenses that require more work/patience to shoot with...

07-07-2019, 02:39 PM   #20
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

but, to be honest, the word 'character' is just us making allowances for lenses that require more work/patience to shoot with...
But strangely, using the manual lenses seem to make things simpler.
07-07-2019, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #21
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
But strangely, using the manual lenses seem to make things simpler.

clear your mind to focus and everything else falls away... suddenly, I'm in the moment just to shoot...
07-07-2019, 02:44 PM   #22
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I have the Pentax-M 50/1.7 and 135/3.5. At 20€ each, they are an absolute steal! The images produced are just lovely (I particularly adore the rendition of the greens) and they are small, very well-built beauties.

I would go for the A-series if possible, but for me that would have increased the cost quite noticeably.

Some folks say that M lenses are built very well. For instance Pentax A 50/1.7 is more plasticy inside and they prefer M lenses because of that... But interesting, what would they say about Pentax-A* 135mm F1.8?

07-07-2019, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #23
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Some folks say that M lenses are built very well. For instance Pentax A 50/1.7 is more plasticy inside and they prefer M lenses because of that... But interesting, what would they say about Pentax-A* 135mm F1.8?
Yes and the Takumars are engineering gems that put the M series to shame. It is about what pushes your buttons - there is nothing more beautiful than say a Sup Tak 85mm 1.8 on your FF but for function alone the A series are probably best.
07-07-2019, 02:50 PM   #24
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes and the Takumars are engineering gems that put the M series to shame. It is about what pushes your buttons - there is nothing more beautiful than say a Sup Tak 85mm 1.8 on your FF but for function alone the A series are probably best.
the helicoid action on just about any Takumar is sweeeeeet.....
07-07-2019, 02:55 PM - 2 Likes   #25
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

clear your mind to focus and everything else falls away... suddenly, I'm in the moment just to shoot...
I think that by the time you are ready to tamper with old glass you have flicked your camera over to raw and half the buttons have become obsolete.
And to get the best out of the glass you go to M mode and you discover that one exposure value will probably do you for the entire shoot.
Nowadays I glance at the conditions and guess my exposure settings and check via digital review -- good to go.
Some of the automated stuff in cameras is so overrated and gets between you and the image.
07-07-2019, 02:57 PM   #26
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I think that by the time you are ready to tamper with old glass you have flicked your camera over to raw and half the buttons have become obsolete.
And to get the best out of the glass you go to M mode and you discover that one exposure value will probably do you for the entire shoot.
Nowadays I glance at the conditions and guess my exposure settings and check via digital review -- good to go.
Some of the automated stuff in cameras is so overrated and gets between you and the image.

I sooo wish there was a way buy a camera that was stripped down to just the bits that you want/use.....

but it's taken several years and lots of shots for me to get to that place....
07-07-2019, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #27
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I sooo wish there was a way buy a camera that was stripped down to just the bits that you want/use.....

but it's taken several years and lots of shots for me to get to that place....
Sooooooo many pictures!!
07-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #28
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
there's quite a bit of practice involved, even with an f1.4 lens - I find the A lenses more forgiving as far as overexposure, etc, because the coating improved over the years.... plus the convenience of the 'A' setting on the aperture ring...

Can't disagree here but what about Helios M42? With its nice bokeh... you will never achieve that with time
07-07-2019, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #29
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even if you could just disable the jpg function buttons after setting them to your default. That blimmin custom image one that clicks in when you are upside down contortioning into a macro!. You can disable it but only in conjunction with the "OK" button and that is needed.
07-07-2019, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #30
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't disagree here but what about Helios M42? With its nice bokeh... you will never achieve that with time
partially agree - I have two Helios 44's, and both are capable of swirly bokeh - with the right composition, though....

if the shot isn't set up properly, you'll never see the swirl....