Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
- Notes: I'm a manual dude.

- Events: Campus events, Orientation, Formal, etc

- Bodies: K200D, Sony DSC-V1

- Lenses:
Zooms: DA16-45 / Vivitar S1 28-90 / Vivitar S1 70-210 / Tokina AT-X 50-250 (light permitting)
Primes: 16/2.8, 28/2, 50/2, 85/2, 135/2.8

- Lighting
Nikon SB-28 w/ LS cloud

- Setup:
Lots of switching around lenses to ensure a good variety of shots. I usually only carry one prime or two at the most to complement the 2 zooms...or go 2-3 primes with one zoom.

- Pros: Decent Quality, Nice reach for candids, Low Cost (Student here. =P)

- Cons: Heavy, somewhat clumbersome, slower than AF (but MF leaves less up to chance, my practice.)

- Comment: Definitely a niche setup but you sharpen up pretty quick.

10-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
- Notes: Just done first wedding tonight shot my 50th band this year.

- Events: Weddings rock concerts & large music festivals

- Bodies: Samsung GX20

- Lenses:
Zooms: Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm 3.5 (Kiron)
Primes: 35/2, 50/1.7, 135/2.8

- Lighting Metz 48 AF1

- Setup:
Swapping between zooms & nifty 50 in dimly lit clubs love the bokeh of the series 1

- Pros: Decent Quality, Good reach but now find the Series 1 to long & long for a DA* 50-135mm 2.8

- Cons: Series 1 is heavy, 17-50mm not long enough for larger arena work

- Comment: Like my set up very much just missing the 50-135mm & THAT WILL BE ME DONE
10-12-2008, 01:01 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Events: Weddings, Music, Festivals.....etc (most of this will pertain to weddings since they are much higher pressure than Music gig's).

Bodies: K20D (soon to be 2), K10D

Lenses: DA*16-50, DA*50-135, FA50, FA35

Lighting: 540 on a bracket, 2x Nikon SB28s off camera triggered with CyberSyncs

Setup:
- Ceremony - k20d with 16-50 and 540 on a stroboframe quickflip and demb pro (I only diffuse inside, I fire into the whites of their eyes if we are outside, IMHO diffusers are a waste of time and batteries when you are outside) K10d with 50-135 and wireless triggered flashes if necessary.

Reception - same basic set-up but I add a wireless trigger in parrallel to the 540 on the k20D (triggered via sync cable) that way I can trip flashes near the dance floor from either camera. I also do some natural lighting stuff with the 50 and 35. The demb pro card is a must have for on camera flash, the quality of light is awesome.

Pros: vs. other systems you can't beat the economics of in body SR. IQ from the DA*'s is fantastic (especially for the $$$). Pentax ergonomics are fantastic, which you really come to appreciate when settings need to get changed in the blink of an eye.

Cons: 540 is inconsistant in pTTL and slow on the recycle (the auxillary off camera flashes help, since more flashes means less power per individual flash is needed).

AF speed is slow in VERY low light, but certainly workable once you get used to different situations. The 2.8 lenses and USM help this some.

Comments: I Love the focal length combo of the DA*'s and never find much need to go longer than 135 or wider than 16, but I'm thinking about adding a 70-200/2.8 to the mix, Once I have the option to go to 200@2.8 I may realize what I'm missing.

Here's a shot I took for a recent thread about flash brackets, I thought I would post it since I love threads with visuals. (shown k20d with 50-135, 540 with Demb pro flip it)
10-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #19

General question to everyone:

How long can you go shooting with the K10/20D w/ flash, 50-135 and grip before it gets tiresome?

The last graduation I did, I could've went on forever shooting with it. Didn't really notice the weight. 3 or 4 hours flew by easily. I just can't say that with Canon.

Does anyone else use wireless flash? If so, what's it like? How does it operate? I'm totally in the dark. My mind is at f64. Enlighten me.

10-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #20
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marcus, You might want to read this thread on flash triggers. It should answer most questions.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/31950-fot-those...-triggers.html
10-12-2008, 05:04 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Marcus, Peter has pointed you to a good thread with information on wireless flash. you can also check out Strobist take a look at lighting 101, lot's of great info to help get the flash off the camera.

I agree with you that K20D/GRIP/FLASH is quite managable in terms of weight, perhaps a little considered "pro" of the pentax system. I typically shoot 8-10 hours with the set-up I have shown in the picture above (and another similar rig slung over my shoulder) without much of a problem. However I am a "formidible" guy and I don't notice things being heavy as soon as some people do.
10-12-2008, 08:21 PM   #22
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Big Ben. I had a look at your setup and wondered why you would not just screw the cable directly into the side of the flash? Don't you find the hot shoe adds a bit of wobble to the setup? Also I can see some strain on the 5p cable (at the camera end) as you have it wrapped around the flash handle. I broke one this summer doing that (I use an old Hot Shoe grip to get the flash off camera) If you have a close look at the tip of a 5p you will see that what holds the screw knob from slipping off is a little flare at the end of the plastic tip of the cable. If that little flare gets too much stress it can sheer off and the cable is useless. In my case it happened in the iddle of a wedding rendering the cable to the garbage. Hence my stress on having a backup for everything (I have 4 of these cables). Don't put too much pressure on the cable ends.
10-13-2008, 06:47 AM   #23

^ Thanks for the thread.

I already have the V2s Cactus triggers and they work fine for Pentax. On Canon, at least the 430EX, it's a little more complicated.

I don't mind using the Cactus triggers for off camera. But P-TTL or Auto is lost with them. I would think that wireless flash on the K10D would be easier. That's why I use the 5FP cord because I can still retain all the functions (P-TTL, AUTO, and MANUAL) on the 540. That's good for me because for quick portraits, etc, I just put the 540 in a umbrella bracket with a bounce umbrella or the Photek Softliter, keep the sensor toward the subject, turn the head backwards, maybe add 1/3, just fire and it's spot on. No need to meter. Just hit it and split. Good for most cases. When I have time or things get tricky, I'll bust out the meter. It's just that busting out the meter just slows down the flow if you're moving from location to location for formals. The downtime for setting up can be tedious. And I really DON'T like turning the knob on the 540 on Manual. The thing is... I was thinking about getting another 5FP cord and piggybacking it to the other one so I can have 18 feet of cord (2x9ft) but if I can do wireless P-TTL or AUTO, it should take care of that by itself, no? And does wireless P-TTL use the camera's flash sensor or the strobe's?

bigben, I am definitely NOT a formidable guy. 5'9" 128. Flyweight But I really don't even notice the weight of the K10D. But I've never shot for 8-10 hours though.

10-13-2008, 06:54 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Big Ben. I had a look at your setup and wondered why you would not just screw the cable directly into the side of the flash? Don't you find the hot shoe adds a bit of wobble to the setup? Also I can see some strain on the 5p cable (at the camera end) as you have it wrapped around the flash handle. I broke one this summer doing that (I use an old Hot Shoe grip to get the flash off camera) If you have a close look at the tip of a 5p you will see that what holds the screw knob from slipping off is a little flare at the end of the plastic tip of the cable. If that little flare gets too much stress it can sheer off and the cable is useless. In my case it happened in the iddle of a wedding rendering the cable to the garbage. Hence my stress on having a backup for everything (I have 4 of these cables). Don't put too much pressure on the cable ends.

Peter, I always thought the 5p cable seemed pretty solid, so I'm suprised to hear you've had one fail. I appreciate the heads up though, and I'll reconsider the placement of the of the cable, keep the stress on the ends to a minimum.

As far as not putting the cable directly into the 540....When I took this shot I still had a 360fgz and would often swap it out for the 540 on the bracket depending on what my shooting needs were, and the 360 doesn't have a 5p port, so I used the hot shoe adapter. It was quite solid and I never had a problem with wobble, but since I got rid of the 360, I do actually plug directly into the 540.