Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2019, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #16
Banned




Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 11,324
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Look, I didn't want to create seperate thread about this but can you tell the same, my lens has very smooth focus ring, I can say smoothest than any lens I have ever touched, without any sort of backlash or gap, but sometimes I feel slight effect of ring engaging elements or quick shift mechanism, because when I go past distance indicator and going back - this effect disappears. Maybe I'm too much paranoiac but... Can't do anything to myself
Monochrome (Paul) asked me a similar question. My reply to him is below:

it took me a few tries to see what you were talking about, but yes, a very slight movement of the ring before the manual focus engages. Mine is nowhere near a quarter inch, it's more a very slight resistance, and I mean very slight, before the manual focus engages, and it's not slop, it's just a very slight resistance.
As i said, it took me several times of switching from AF back to MF to catch it. I hate to say it, but it's possible that the individual QC that we are supposed to be paying for didn't catch that in your lens.
I don't think a quarter inch of play in the focus ring is normal, or should be, anyway.Ē

I suspect that while they can get the tolerances really close, they canít do away with them altogether. Iím not sure how these things are adjusted, but it might be that the adjustment for play is incremental. My lens might be on the good side, or I might just not be able to discern such stuff (itís possible) while what you and Paul got are a bit to the bad.
Remember, Quality Control isnít about perfection, it is about acceptable deficiencies.

07-20-2019, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #17
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: St. Louis, MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 24,906
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Look, I didn't want to create seperate thread about this but can you tell the same, my lens has very smooth focus ring, I can say smoothest than any lens I have ever touched, without any sort of backlash or gap, but sometimes I feel slight effect of ring engaging elements or quick shift mechanism, because when I go past distance indicator and going back - this effect disappears. Maybe I'm too much paranoiac but... Can't do anything to myself
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Monochrome (Paul) asked me a similar question. My reply to him is below:

it took me a few tries to see what you were talking about, but yes, a very slight movement of the ring before the manual focus engages. Mine is nowhere near a quarter inch, it's more a very slight resistance, and I mean very slight, before the manual focus engages, and it's not slop, it's just a very slight resistance.
As i said, it took me several times of switching from AF back to MF to catch it. I hate to say it, but it's possible that the individual QC that we are supposed to be paying for didn't catch that in your lens.
I don't think a quarter inch of play in the focus ring is normal, or should be, anyway.”

I suspect that while they can get the tolerances really close, they can’t do away with them altogether. I’m not sure how these things are adjusted, but it might be that the adjustment for play is incremental. My lens might be on the good side, or I might just not be able to discern such stuff (it’s possible) while what you and Paul got are a bit to the bad.
Remember, Quality Control isn’t about perfection, it is about acceptable deficiencies.
Yes, my lens has a small but perceptible hitch before the QS clutch engages and when used directly in MF mode. At first I was a little annoyed and considered returning the lens but in the end I just decided to ignore it. I jog the helicoid to find final focus anyway and it has became just a quirk of my lens.It doesn’t affect anything that I can tell.

As I wrote above, I think the DFA50/1,4 is about as good as a modern AF lens gets in MF mode and I suspect I am spoiled by the tactile pleasure of using my manual Pentax lenses. I’ve grown quite sensitive to the feel of the helicoids.
07-21-2019, 12:31 AM   #18
Lev
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Tbilisi, Georgia
Posts: 420
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Monochrome (Paul) asked me a similar question. My reply to him is below:

it took me a few tries to see what you were talking about, but yes, a very slight movement of the ring before the manual focus engages. Mine is nowhere near a quarter inch, it's more a very slight resistance, and I mean very slight, before the manual focus engages, and it's not slop, it's just a very slight resistance.
As i said, it took me several times of switching from AF back to MF to catch it. I hate to say it, but it's possible that the individual QC that we are supposed to be paying for didn't catch that in your lens.
I don't think a quarter inch of play in the focus ring is normal, or should be, anyway.Ē

I suspect that while they can get the tolerances really close, they canít do away with them altogether. Iím not sure how these things are adjusted, but it might be that the adjustment for play is incremental. My lens might be on the good side, or I might just not be able to discern such stuff (itís possible) while what you and Paul got are a bit to the bad.
Remember, Quality Control isnít about perfection, it is about acceptable deficiencies.
No, quarter of inch is huge, as I said there is no gap at all, it's just sometimes, not every time, I may feel some kind of mechanism, I suspect quick shift is engaging. Very slight but noticable. You may call it resistance, I just can't describe it more clearly. The focusing experience itself in viewfinder is great, no lag or backlash. I guess it's quick shift.

---------- Post added 07-21-19 at 12:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes, my lens has a small but perceptible hitch before the QS clutch engages and when used directly in MF mode. At first I was a little annoyed and considered returning the lens but in the end I just decided to ignore it. I jog the helicoid to find final focus anyway and it has became just a quirk of my lens.It doesnít affect anything that I can tell.

As I wrote above, I think the DFA50/1,4 is about as good as a modern AF lens gets in MF mode and I suspect I am spoiled by the tactile pleasure of using my manual Pentax lenses. Iíve grown quite sensitive to the feel of the helicoids.
I'm just curiouse, anyway 99% of a time I'm using it in auto mode God damn I love this lens. Absolute gem, Ready to sell anything to get upcoming 85mm!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, feel, focus, inch, k-mount, lens, lenses, mf, mode, pentax lens, quarter, resistance, shift, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax SV - Mirror bumper/damping foam? greyred2 Pentax Film SLR Discussion 17 10-09-2018 04:55 AM
DA 50 1.8 - focus ring damping SRT201 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 02-23-2015 02:57 PM
What's the nicest thing you bought from Black Friday? LeDave General Talk 14 11-27-2012 05:09 AM
Modern Media /Modern Minds seacapt General Talk 24 09-23-2010 03:55 PM
DA* 16-50 Zoom Damping AlanR Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 03-09-2008 09:41 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:03 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top