Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2019, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #16
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Look, I didn't want to create seperate thread about this but can you tell the same, my lens has very smooth focus ring, I can say smoothest than any lens I have ever touched, without any sort of backlash or gap, but sometimes I feel slight effect of ring engaging elements or quick shift mechanism, because when I go past distance indicator and going back - this effect disappears. Maybe I'm too much paranoiac but... Can't do anything to myself
Monochrome (Paul) asked me a similar question. My reply to him is below:

it took me a few tries to see what you were talking about, but yes, a very slight movement of the ring before the manual focus engages. Mine is nowhere near a quarter inch, it's more a very slight resistance, and I mean very slight, before the manual focus engages, and it's not slop, it's just a very slight resistance.
As i said, it took me several times of switching from AF back to MF to catch it. I hate to say it, but it's possible that the individual QC that we are supposed to be paying for didn't catch that in your lens.
I don't think a quarter inch of play in the focus ring is normal, or should be, anyway.Ē

I suspect that while they can get the tolerances really close, they canít do away with them altogether. Iím not sure how these things are adjusted, but it might be that the adjustment for play is incremental. My lens might be on the good side, or I might just not be able to discern such stuff (itís possible) while what you and Paul got are a bit to the bad.
Remember, Quality Control isnít about perfection, it is about acceptable deficiencies.

07-20-2019, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #17
Lens Hoarder
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Look, I didn't want to create seperate thread about this but can you tell the same, my lens has very smooth focus ring, I can say smoothest than any lens I have ever touched, without any sort of backlash or gap, but sometimes I feel slight effect of ring engaging elements or quick shift mechanism, because when I go past distance indicator and going back - this effect disappears. Maybe I'm too much paranoiac but... Can't do anything to myself
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote

it took me a few tries to see what you were talking about, but yes, a very slight movement of the ring before the manual focus engages. Mine is nowhere near a quarter inch, it's more a very slight resistance, and I mean very slight, before the manual focus engages, and it's not slop, it's just a very slight resistance.
As i said, it took me several times of switching from AF back to MF to catch it. I hate to say it, but it's possible that the individual QC that we are supposed to be paying for didn't catch that in your lens.
I don't think a quarter inch of play in the focus ring is normal, or should be, anyway.”

I suspect that while they can get the tolerances really close, they can’t do away with them altogether. I’m not sure how these things are adjusted, but it might be that the adjustment for play is incremental. My lens might be on the good side, or I might just not be able to discern such stuff (it’s possible) while what you and Paul got are a bit to the bad.
Remember, Quality Control isn’t about perfection, it is about acceptable deficiencies.
Yes, my lens has a small but perceptible hitch before the QS clutch engages and when used directly in MF mode. At first I was a little annoyed and considered returning the lens but in the end I just decided to ignore it. I jog the helicoid to find final focus anyway and it has became just a quirk of my lens.It doesn’t affect anything that I can tell.

As I wrote above, I think the DFA50/1,4 is about as good as a modern AF lens gets in MF mode and I suspect I am spoiled by the tactile pleasure of using my manual Pentax lenses. I’ve grown quite sensitive to the feel of the helicoids.
07-21-2019, 12:31 AM   #18
Lev
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote

I don't think a quarter inch of play in the focus ring is normal, or should be, anyway.Ē

I suspect that while they can get the tolerances really close, they canít do away with them altogether. Iím not sure how these things are adjusted, but it might be that the adjustment for play is incremental. My lens might be on the good side, or I might just not be able to discern such stuff (itís possible) while what you and Paul got are a bit to the bad.
Remember, Quality Control isnít about perfection, it is about acceptable deficiencies.
No, quarter of inch is huge, as I said there is no gap at all, it's just sometimes, not every time, I may feel some kind of mechanism, I suspect quick shift is engaging. Very slight but noticable. You may call it resistance, I just can't describe it more clearly. The focusing experience itself in viewfinder is great, no lag or backlash. I guess it's quick shift.

---------- Post added 07-21-19 at 12:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yes, my lens has a small but perceptible hitch before the QS clutch engages and when used directly in MF mode. At first I was a little annoyed and considered returning the lens but in the end I just decided to ignore it. I jog the helicoid to find final focus anyway and it has became just a quirk of my lens.It doesnít affect anything that I can tell.

As I wrote above, I think the DFA50/1,4 is about as good as a modern AF lens gets in MF mode and I suspect I am spoiled by the tactile pleasure of using my manual Pentax lenses. Iíve grown quite sensitive to the feel of the helicoids.
I'm just curiouse, anyway 99% of a time I'm using it in auto mode God damn I love this lens. Absolute gem, Ready to sell anything to get upcoming 85mm!