Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2008, 05:38 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K mount Pentax and sigma don't work on my K200D

Hi, I looked around on the net and in the forum for a reason, why my lenses don't want to work with my K200D. But I haven't found one.

I just bought 2 lenses,

Asahi Optical Co., Pentax K Mount, f2.8/28mm Wide Angle lens

and

SIGMA ZOOM, 1:3.5 -4.5, f = 28 - 70MM

They both fit on the camera. Before turning on the camera, I turn the dial to M, turn off the stabilization, and auto focus. I changed the metering to center.
But then when I turn on the camera, it doesn't turn on, all it does is, on the upper screen, an F--- blinks and the no. of photos, that I can take for the card. That's it.

Please help!

Attached Images

10-10-2008, 05:43 AM   #2

If they have apparature ring then try different settings with this. Or enable apparature ring usage on the body. Atleast k10D have this option - not shure about the k200D.
10-10-2008, 05:47 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Well my old k100D had no issue with old lenses.
Sounds like a setting. Check custom menu for the aperture ring settings.

Note that F-- is shown when you cant set the f from the camera (only the ring).
10-10-2008, 06:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Look in the manual on how to enable the apperture ring. Don't know how that is done on the K200D. Used that same 28mm lens yesterday. It is a bit low contrast, but gives very nice colors.

10-10-2008, 06:57 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's in the Custom settings menu. Enable "Allow Aperture ring"
10-10-2008, 08:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

best pentax post of all time
K100D (Super) Pictorial guide to using manual lenses [imgs]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
10-10-2008, 11:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

As others have said, you need to to set the option in the menu to enable use of the aperture ring (and you can leave it set permanently - no reason to switch that option back and forth). And the "pictorial guide" post referenced above explains in gory detail how to do the metering - use M mode, hit Green button to get camera to set appropriate shutter speed, or optical (not digital - you may need to change a menu setting there too) DOF preview to display the meter while you view the scene.

I just wanted to add - no need to turn off SR just because you're using a manual lens! One of the great things about Pentax SR is that it works even with old lenses like the ones you just bought! Leave SR on, and when you turn the camera on after mounting the lens, it will ask you to select the focal length. I'd recommend setting it 28 and leaving it there if these are your only two manual lenses. Ideally, you'd change the focal length setting every time you turned the zoom ring, but that's impractical. Leaving it set at the lowest focal length produces better results than setting it too high.

Also, no need to change to center-weighted metering. The camera does that automatically when you mount a manual lens, and automatically switches back to multi-segment when you put on a modern lens. Although I find it more effective to leave the camera in center-weighted mode all the time. Makes the metering much more consistent from lens to lens, rather than having it work one way with auto lenses and differently with manual ones.

10-10-2008, 09:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

why did u disable shake reduction?
10-24-2008, 02:41 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I got it working..