Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
500s out of the woodwork

Has anyone noticed that Pentax 500mm f4 super-teles are popping up like weeds?

I wanted one last summer for bird shots but only a few surfaced, mostly the older, uncoated M42 thread mounts. Well, the birds have mostly departed my home in Maryland and I just about convinced myself to hang in with my army green Sigma 400 f5.6 with teleconverter. At an idle moment, I checked E-bray and lo!-there were FOUR of the Pentax 500s on offer...one K-mount SMC (I understand that all K-mounts are SMC), two SMC M42s and an uncoated M42 as well. No auctions, though, only "buy it now" starting over $750 US plus $80 US for shipping and handling. Even though these beasts are large and heavy, $80 seems a bit excessive.

Any idea why all of these lenses are suddenly finding their way to market?

10-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I would not be surprised if the current economic climate has caused people to start thinking about valuable, expensive, rarely-used items they own and might list on eBay.

That, and also possibly a statistically insignificant clustering -- i.e., it happens, and possibly for no reason at all.

Last edited by Quicksand; 10-10-2008 at 01:37 PM.
10-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yes maybe money issues are causing people to sell stuff, I on the other hand am after more lenses but on a budget and am hanging on a bit as I'm not too sure how secure my job is either