Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2019, 07:41 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I said to myself that I won't buy 50-135 again

On sale on Adorama:

https://www.adorama.com/px50135afd.html?

Having said that I can't calm down when I see it, especially with this price for new... but... There is DFA* 85 f1.4 on horizon and I need my wallet to be ready for that.

Last edited by pepperberry farm; 07-28-2019 at 08:44 AM.
07-28-2019, 08:14 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Again? What happened to the last 50-135 you bought?

I guess the answer to your quandary is whether the 50-135 fits a need for a normal-short tele zoom, or is it just a place holder to cover 85mm until
you can get a modern, fast prime. Will an orange do if you want an apple, or do you really >need< that apple?
07-28-2019, 09:11 AM   #3
Lev
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Again? What happened to the last 50-135 you bought?

I guess the answer to your quandary is whether the 50-135 fits a need for a normal-short tele zoom, or is it just a place holder to cover 85mm until
you can get a modern, fast prime. Will an orange do if you want an apple, or do you really >need< that apple?
Long story short - really bad copy. Was having trouble returning it etc etc... But the construction itself in this beauty is bad imo. I wish they put that amazing glass in a newer body. No, I'm actually covering that 85mm. Thing is that I'm wanted this lens.
07-28-2019, 10:23 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
50~135 on sale @ 35% discount is a sign of something exciting in the wind.

07-28-2019, 05:12 PM - 1 Like   #5
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The E- condition used for under 430 is a pretty good deal since Adorama is pretty good about any problems. I love this lens.
07-29-2019, 02:40 AM - 1 Like   #6

I've been using the 50-135 in crop 1:1 mode on a k1. It's become my most used lens photographing contemporary dance because it's compact and fast auto focusing. I am lucky to have a good copy I bought used.
07-29-2019, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Long story short - really bad copy. Was having trouble returning it etc etc... But the construction itself in this beauty is bad imo. I wish they put that amazing glass in a newer body. No, I'm actually covering that 85mm. Thing is that I'm wanted this lens.
I've posted about this before, but I've had the same experience as you. First copy was horribly soft, Pentax fixed it and it was fantastic for several years until I dropped it. After a few years I got the itch again and bought another. And again - bad copy. B&H promptly exchanged it and the replacement is perfect.
Agree 100% on the construction. I've completely disassembled the one I dropped and it is astonishing how delicately they are made. Funny thing is I've never had problems with the SDM.
If I somehow accidentally crack this one open, I'll buy another. But Pentax really should do a refresh on this lens with better construction.
07-29-2019, 07:12 AM   #8
Lev
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by simple1 Quote
I've posted about this before, but I've had the same experience as you. First copy was horribly soft, Pentax fixed it and it was fantastic for several years until I dropped it. After a few years I got the itch again and bought another. And again - bad copy. B&H promptly exchanged it and the replacement is perfect.
Agree 100% on the construction. I've completely disassembled the one I dropped and it is astonishing how delicately they are made. Funny thing is I've never had problems with the SDM.
If I somehow accidentally crack this one open, I'll buy another. But Pentax really should do a refresh on this lens with better construction.
I just simple don't want to accept the fact that it may happen to anybody and no one is 100% protected. But another fact is that you not only spending just huge amount of money but you also spending lots of effort and time to test it when you are getting new copy, calibrate it for all of your gears, care.. etc...

I saw a blogpost where the russian guy also disassembled it and he says that the barrel of the 50-135 is made of plastic. Well, nothing wrong here but it is certain that metal could be better.

07-29-2019, 05:45 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I bought mine from B&H some 10 years ago, and have been fortunate. No issues. Fine IQ. I like the relatively compact and lightweight design in not changing size or moving at all when either zooming or during AF On a top-level APS-C body it beats carrying a big heavy 70-200mm on a FF body. I agree that a reissue of the optics in a better DC AF body would be a good idea.