Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2019, 02:24 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

15mm on K-1 for interiors or ...?

I've a 15mm Irix and the Pentax 24-70 mm. I've started to get some work shooting interiors/real estate. Key FL for interiors often range from about 15mm to 28mm. The barrel distortion of the Irix is less than the Pentax 15-30 at 15mm and so with little correction and cropping the Irix images, I'm starting to find I can effectively fill the gap I have in my FL range with the Irix - switching, when needed, to the 24-70 on a second body for the longer shots.

Cropping a wide angle shot in post also means I have some wiggle room for cropping out things in post I've missed when they sneak into the frame.

I've been using multiple, bracketed photos, blended and dodged/burned in PS as my preferred method of 'lighting' the shots. I do have flash options if required, though I'm finding getting even flash lighting, even with multiple flashes, and much bouncing, less easy than blending.

I do like using the Irix as it's small and I fear the 15-30's size might be awkward to use especially in small rooms (how I wish there was a f4 version of the 15-30). I need the images for web mostly and maybe the occasional 10 x 8 " print.

At 15mm and at f5.6 and above everything is in focus in room shots. I appreciate there may be a little perspective differences in taking a shoot at 15mm and cropping to emulate a slightly longer FL, but in reality I can't see in making any difference. Or might it ... ?

And so to my question: can anyone see any pitfalls in this approach of using the relatively small Irix and cropping to effectively give me a few more mm, thus filling in the missing FLs ? Or is the pricey, long, heavy, and possibly awkward 15-30 going to give me a better performance in the missing focal lengths and maybe improve my speed/workflow ? Any interiors shooters out there ?

Thanks ...

07-31-2019, 02:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My DFA15-30 shows considerably less barrel distortion at 24mm than my DFA24-70. Just one more thing to consider.
07-31-2019, 03:02 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
My DFA15-30 shows considerably less barrel distortion at 24mm than my DFA24-70. Just one more thing to consider.
Sandy, do you not use "lens corrections" ?

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 07-31-2019 at 06:09 PM.
07-31-2019, 03:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're happy with the image quality of cropped 15mm shots, there's no reason not to use that process. The only drawback might be slight distortion but the Irix is pretty rectilinear and may not show any more distortion than a prime of higher FL. The K-1 gives you a lot more leeway since it's a full-frame image with 36Mp so cropping is quite practical, still maintaining a good pixel-count. If the lens is sharp (as most Irix lenses are), a shot for web-use should work well using cropping and the single Irix 15mm (a la a compact super wide "zoom")

The same technique is used by a good number of cell-phone cameras and is marketed as a zoom when it's really an "electronic zoom", but as long as the photos are not going to be enlarged much (which most cell-phone shots aren't - they're just traded on cell-phone size screens), it works great. Just be cautious and do a test if you anticipate blowing up any photos taken this way to hang on the wall.

Last edited by Bob 256; 07-31-2019 at 04:03 PM.
07-31-2019, 04:10 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a love / hate relationship with the DFA 15-30. It's heavy and awkward. And it produces exceptional images.

Everyone has their own needs but personally if I was shooting interior real estate on a regular basis the 15-30 would be glued to my K-1.
07-31-2019, 05:34 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I never do. Let me see the whole frame, and I'll decide what to do with it in pp. There I can apply distortion correction if I like, but rarely do. A bit of distortion in UWA does not offend me unless I'm looking for rectilinear rendering of architecture for example.
07-31-2019, 06:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Never by default. Like Paul, I apply them occasionally in post processing.

07-31-2019, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The gap between 15 and 24 is pretty big. If you have a scene that absolutely requires a 23.9 mm field of view, you'll be forced to use the 15 and crop at 63% which gives you about 14 MPix of image left from the 36 Mpix you started with. If that's good enough, then you are fine.

If that's too much cropping for your taste, you might look at getting a prime that splits the difference. The math says you need a 19mm lens to minimize the worst-case cropping over the range of 15 to 24. Perhaps a 20 mm prime might fill the gap.
07-31-2019, 09:01 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How wide you wish to go rather depends on the space and on the effect you’re trying to achieve for the client.

This is a house I renovated and sold last year. Although the real estate agent engaged a professional (she had a Canon, of course), I shot this interior on my K-1 with the FA20/2.8. I obviously could have got wider with the Irix 15, but to my eye it would have exaggerated the size of the space (around 6m x 4m, IIRC), but maybe it could have drawn more attention, if it had been used to advertise the house.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
07-31-2019, 09:04 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sounds like you have a technique that is working for you, don't fix it if it's not broken The 15-30 is a beast, and like jatrax, I too have a love hate relationship with it. I'd debated getting the Irix but ultimately decided on 15-30 when the price dropped last fall.

Post some photos. Would love to see the results you are getting.
08-01-2019, 12:29 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Many thanks for replying. I'll continue with the using the 15mm for now as there doesn't appear to be any particular gotchas from what's been said.

I have a shoot today and another next Tuesday to confirm my approach or maybe after these I'll decide to engage with The Beast ...
08-01-2019, 12:50 AM   #12

If you are doing interiors a lot you are probably going to see some advantages from having the zoom, being able to shoot at 18-22mm, 26-30mm etc and not needing to change lenses... if this is regular paid gig then it could be worth the money.

I use mine for architecture and design shoots. Having a zoom is nice to be able to play around a bit more. Weight is not really an issue on a job, though if you're using it for landscapes etc then I could see the problem.
08-01-2019, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

I shoot real estate every day and I use the K-1 with the DF-A 15-30 and it is a great combination. I thought about the Irix 15mm for the size and weight and also because it’s a prime lens all good features to be sure, but in the end I went with the 15-30.

The 15-30 weigh more and is bigger than the Irix but I have not had any problems carrying the 15-30 around any house. All in all, I am very happy with my choice of the 15-30.

Also as Dericali said I do use the zoom a lot depending on the shot I am trying to get.

Below are a few photos taken the other day.

All photos taken with a K-1 and 15-30
08-01-2019, 12:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aacjr Quote
I shoot real estate every day and I use the K-1 with the DF-A 15-30 and it is a great combination. I thought about the Irix 15mm for the size and weight and also because it’s a prime lens all good features to be sure, but in the end I went with the 15-30.

The 15-30 weigh more and is bigger than the Irix but I have not had any problems carrying the 15-30 around any house. All in all, I am very happy with my choice of the 15-30.

Also as Dericali said I do use the zoom a lot depending on the shot I am trying to get.

Below are a few photos taken the other day.

All photos taken with a K-1 and 15-30
They're very nice shoots, aacjr - fresh, clean and well composed. Interestingly they are all (except detail shot) taken at 15mm.
08-01-2019, 09:05 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
They're very nice shoots, aacjr - fresh, clean and well composed. Interestingly they are all (except detail shot) taken at 15mm.
You are absolutely correct. When I’m shooting a house without furniture I like to shoot at the wide end to show how much space the house has. When there is furniture I will shoot wide to show the space and I will also zoom in to show the individual rooms. I will very rarely zoom into 30mm except to high light certain areas. I usually will stay between 15-24mm I think that is the sweet spot for me.

Here are a few examples.