Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2008, 11:54 PM   #1

attack of the fungus!!!! help please. FYI 6 pics

i need some help identifying what some "stuff" is that i can see on the elements of one of my lenses. there's things that i've never seen before personally, but somewhat remind me of pictures of fungus-ified lenses i've seen on this forum. so, i'm a little worried harmless bubbles, coating separation, abusive cleaning marks, fungus... ?

this lens is a recent purchase, so i would greatly appreciate anyone's opinion about what the following pictures are showing - i think there's multiple things going on.

would you keep it or complain? what do you think the "stuff" is? how (much) would it affect image quality? keep in mind also that this was not at all a "flea market bargain"

i tried my best to capture what i can see with my eye, but it was difficult to get the light/reflections just right to reveal them through the camera. (btw, these shots were all taken with a "MINOLTA MD MACRO ROKKOR-X 100mm 1:4" lens with minolta 1:1 converter stopped down to f/8 and f/11, mounted on my k10d via a diy adapter made from a k-body cap and minolta mf-maxxum adapter that i canibalized - i've been meaning to write it up...).

please do look at all the pictures, since there seems to be different "stuff" going on in each of them. AND THANK YOU

Pictures of Front element(s):

Pictures of rear element(s):

10-11-2008, 12:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've encountered the same tiny bubbles with several old Vivitar lenses that I got in a liquidation lot. Don't know if it is element separation or some of the elements might be made of plastic that might have deteriorated over time. Shots lack contrast from my experience. Also I had fogged lens elements in my case.

Those spider web lines in your pictures look very much like fungus attack on the elements. Basically you just got yourself a less than perfect lens. No guarantee that the fungus can be cleaned up without some residual blemish on the elements. You can't do anything with the tiny bubbles and I've spoken to several experienced lens repair persons on this.
10-11-2008, 02:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

The last image is definately fungus and it WILL spread. Absolutely and without reservations I would return the lenses.

Try looking at the lense from the other side, you'll probably get better idea of what's inside.
10-11-2008, 08:24 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by architorture Quote
keep in mind also that this was not at all a "flea market bargain"
Well, here is an Ebay Mint lens - Super Tak 35/2.0. Wasn't a "flea market bargain" either. Seller was most cooperative. Ended up sending to Eric H. who disassembled cleaned, lubed and reassembled. I have had it in the window giving it the Pepsodent (you'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent) treatment for 3 weeks. Even Eric couldn't figure out what the stuff was on the elements, but he got it off.
Don't know if he works on Vivitar, but you could ask. He is really reasonable. My deal was my seller paid Eric's charges.

Last edited by wlank; 05-17-2009 at 08:27 AM.