Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-03-2019, 08:38 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
De-fungus-ing a lens

I literally just picked up an ME/ M-50mm 1.4 combo for $10, and I only picked this up because I’ve been wanting an M1.4. The problem is there’s a decent amount of fungus throughout. I’ve wanted to try de-fungus-ing for awhile, but I have no idea what I need/what to do. I do know I need (and already have) a set of Japan Industrial Standard screwdrivers, but outside of that, what chemicals and other tools do I need?

08-03-2019, 09:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

A big rubber plug to screw off the front beauty ring. I found mine at the local home improvement store.
08-03-2019, 09:13 AM   #3

Original Poster
Big rubber plug? Wachu talkin’ about, Willis?
08-03-2019, 09:39 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bikehead90 Quote
He means ....... a big rubber plug

Attached Images

08-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

49mm or so diameter. Mines solid looks more like a cork plug than a tub stopper. Grips good.

---------- Post added 08-03-19 at 11:56 AM ----------

49mm or so diameter. Mines solid looks more like a cork plug than a tub stopper. Grips good

maybe this one....https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-15-16-in-x-1-5-8-in-Black-Rubber-Stopper-808338/204273795

Carry your lens with you. Runs the sales people nuts
08-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
49mm or so diameter. Mines solid looks more like a cork plug than a tub stopper. Grips good.

---------- Post added 08-03-19 at 11:56 AM ----------

49mm or so diameter. Mines solid looks more like a cork plug than a tub stopper. Grips good

maybe this one....https://www.homedepot.com/p/1-15-16-in-x-1-5-8-in-Black-Rubber-Stopper-808338/204273795

Carry your lens with you. Runs the sales people nuts
Haha, I feel stupid. I’ve always called those stoppers, but I know exactly what they are.

I’m about to go further down the stupid-hole, but the vanity ring, is that the one that has the “SMC Pentax-M...”?

What do I do with the plug then? Suction it on, and then what?
08-03-2019, 10:41 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Haha, I feel stupid. I’ve always called those stoppers, but I know exactly what they are.

I’m about to go further down the stupid-hole, but the vanity ring, is that the one that has the “SMC Pentax-M...”?

What do I do with the plug then? Suction it on, and then what?
Rotate it to the left...

Video: The Systematic Disassembly of a Pentax 50mm F/1.4 Lens | Popular Photography

08-03-2019, 10:53 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think there is good info around on disassambly of this lens and that it's a relatively straight forward one. You may need a lens spanner, you will need small cross head screw drivers preferably JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) ones. I use a piece of appropriate dia plastic pipe with double sided sticky tape over the end for nameplate removal. Keep everything in order, note the order and orientation of lens elements (I put a number and small arrow on the side with a sharpie), don't lose or mix up tiny screws or aperture click ballbearings.
To clean off fungus I use a wee bit of meths with a tiny drop of household mould/mildew remover or similar detergent in it, and lens cleaning tissue. It's a good idea to use polythene gloves to keep grease on your fingers from creeping onto the glass. I usually use a lens pens to clean off slight smears and cleaning marks however its difficult to see such marks by holding the element to the light, they show up more when the lens is reassembled. irritating but inconsequential.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 08-03-2019 at 01:09 PM.
08-03-2019, 05:24 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
I think there is good info around on disassambly of this lens and that it's a relatively straight forward one. You may need a lens spanner, you will need small cross head screw drivers preferably JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) ones. I use a piece of appropriate dia plastic pipe with double sided sticky tape over the end for nameplate removal. Keep everything in order, note the order and orientation of lens elements (I put a number and small arrow on the side with a sharpie), don't lose or mix up tiny screws or aperture click ballbearings.
To clean off fungus I use a wee bit of meths with a tiny drop of household mould/mildew remover or similar detergent in it, and lens cleaning tissue. It's a good idea to use polythene gloves to keep grease on your fingers from creeping onto the glass. I usually use a lens pens to clean off slight smears and cleaning marks however its difficult to see such marks by holding the element to the light, they show up more when the lens is reassembled. irritating but inconsequential.
What is meths? I’ve seen people using ammonia and hydrogen peroxide, others with a solution of alcohol. Have you used either of these?
08-04-2019, 04:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I’m sure he means Methylated spirits; aka denatured alcohol.
08-04-2019, 01:47 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here, these should hopefully be of some help too:

Fungus: how to prevent growth and remove it from optical components

How to Remove Fungus from a Lens
08-26-2019, 08:14 PM   #12

Original Poster
So, I admit when I’m out of my league. I bought the 50 1.4 attached to an ME for $10 at a yard sale. I sold the ME body on eBay for $10 and paid a local camera place to de-fungus-ify it for less than buying one from eBay. However I’ll be on the lookout for some learning lenses, because I’d like to try it myself. However I’ve been wanting a 1.4 for awhile and didn’t want to screw it up. Thanks to everybody for their input, and when I find a gross lens I don’t care about I’ll put it into practice.