Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2019, 10:35 PM   #1

Super takumar lens with K-70 - overcoming lack of SMC

Hi, My name is Moran, My current camera is a K70 I'm using 2 new DA lenses and 3 older SMC lenses.
one lens is a Super Takumar 400 manual M 42 screw mount with adaptor this lens is not SMC what is good filter to
improve the absents of SMC.

08-03-2019, 10:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think a filter will help you get around the fact that the lens isn't multi-coated, but some post-processing to improve contrast, plus avoiding direct sunlight, should allow you to get fine results

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-03-2019, 11:41 PM   #3
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kayzjam Quote
Hi, My name is Moran, My current camera is a K70 I'm using 2 new DA lenses and 3 older SMC lenses.
one lens is a Super Takumar 400 manual M 42 screw mount with adaptor this lens is not SMC what is good filter to
improve the absents of SMC.
Use a nice long lens hood and for any situation where the sun doesn't strike the front element you will see only a minor difference to modern primes and quite likely superior results in comparison to kit zooms.
EDIT And another trick with old glass is to underexpose a little and pull it up in post processing.
08-03-2019, 11:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the lack of SMC is giving images with reduced contrast, in addition to the suggestions above you might also experiment with the K-70's Clarity setting in Camera Menu 3.

Philip

08-04-2019, 12:14 AM - 1 Like   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Good advice already given, I'll just say welcome to the forum.
08-04-2019, 04:13 AM   #6
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums. You already have the right advice. SMC is good but lack of it won't stop you taking great pics.
08-04-2019, 01:36 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

As noted in the above comments, adding additional glass surfaces (filter) will not overcome the lack of SMC coatings on the Super Takumar and Tele Takumar lenses. That being said, the coatings are still quite good and when combined with a hood to block errant light to the front element will perform quite well in regards to flare with the exception of shooting with the sun or bright lights actually within the frame. The main challenge will be finding a sufficiently deep hood, should the built-in hood on the Tele Takumar 400/5.6 be inadequate. (One can go quite deep when mounted to a crop-sensor body such as the K-70.)

Steve
08-04-2019, 10:24 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you all for great advice , and the welcome message.
Cheers moran.