Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2019, 06:00 PM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Working From Home
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 26,258
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
HD DA 20-40 would have my vote. The KP is nearly tailor-made for that lens.
^^ This. Add 55-300 PLM in a small Carry bag. What more do you need?

08-29-2019, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
mhsp1948's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 346
Original Poster
Ok, I have done extensive shooting now with the 31mm, 20-40mm and the 18-135mm (which gave me operating trouble and washed out photos on two occasions) and none of these three really rang my bell or let me feel satisfied with a walk around so I put my Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Lens on my KP and I could not be happier. This is the one that will sit on the KP for the most part and especially when I travel while carrying along my 200mm prime for telephoto work. Can carry all easily and no trouble traveling.
08-29-2019, 10:20 PM   #48
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,366
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
HD DA 20-40 would have my vote. The KP is nearly tailor-made for that lens.
I Second the Motion ! 20-40 all the way.
08-30-2019, 04:28 AM   #49
Pentaxian
Jonathan Mac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 7,216
QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp1948 Quote
Ok, I have done extensive shooting now with the 31mm, 20-40mm and the 18-135mm (which gave me operating trouble and washed out photos on two occasions) and none of these three really rang my bell or let me feel satisfied with a walk around so I put my Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM Lens on my KP and I could not be happier. This is the one that will sit on the KP for the most part and especially when I travel while carrying along my 200mm prime for telephoto work. Can carry all easily and no trouble traveling.
Another fine choice though bigger and heavier than any of the other options, but fast and with a good range and excellent IQ.

08-30-2019, 09:19 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
mhsp1948's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 346
Original Poster
Thanks Jonathan, it was a lot of work to finally settle on one main lens for the KP and a telephoto lens.
08-30-2019, 10:51 AM   #51
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 2,994
I have the DA 18-135mm DC WR (for years with no problems), the DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 DC WR LTD and the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC and I like them all a lot. The LTD mainly when needing compact size with fine IQ and WR, the 18-135mm when needing maximum-flexibility zoom range with compactness for such range and very good IQ with WR, and the fast Sigma lens when needing its aperture speed, very sharp ultimate IQ with its virtually absent field curvature, yet not too bad in size and weight. Works great in tandem with my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 WR lens.

I just bought a Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC lens due to a spectacular deal from B&H. It arrived day before yesterday. I took some shots yesterday at a waterfront location with ships, a large bridge, people, etc. and WOW this is one awesome lens! I have had the excellent Pentax DA 12-24mm f/4 for years, but this Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 lens is fantastic!

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-30-2019 at 11:02 AM.
08-30-2019, 10:22 PM - 4 Likes   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
mhsp1948's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 346
Original Poster
Here are some photos I took tonight with my Pentax KP and the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 at the Bay St. Louis, Mississippi Harbor and the Long Beach Mississippi, Harbor.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
09-01-2019, 02:28 PM   #53
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 2,994
Those shots turned out beautifully- great results! Some are obviously benefitting from this lens's low linear distortion, and absence of field curvature.

However, for nighttime still scene shots like these, using long exposure times and a tripod and mid apertures at most of these focal lengths, I believe the DA 18-135mm could have come reasonably close. Where this sigma lens especially shines for me is in low light situations where I will need adequate shutter speeds via near or fully wide open aperture for handheld shots, and possibly with movement by subjects. Also for indoor action events without flash. All-in-all this is one fine lens, versatile for handling many situations.

09-01-2019, 03:19 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
mhsp1948's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 346
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Those shots turned out beautifully- great results! Some are obviously benefitting from this lens's low linear distortion, and absence of field curvature.

However, for nighttime still scene shots like these, using long exposure times and a tripod and mid apertures at most of these focal lengths, I believe the DA 18-135mm could have come reasonably close. Where this sigma lens especially shines for me is in low light situations where I will need adequate shutter speeds via near or fully wide open aperture for handheld shots, and possibly with movement by subjects. Also for indoor action events without flash. All-in-all this is one fine lens, versatile for handling many situations.

I agree mikesbike, thanks for the comments.
09-06-2019, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
mhsp1948's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 346
Original Poster
Walked out in my yard just before the light got to low and this is hand held with my Pentax KP and the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
09-08-2019, 01:46 PM   #56
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 2,994
Great shot! I forgot to mention its exceptional close-focusing capability to go with all its other attributes. A great lens, and a great combo with the KP!
09-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #57
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Des's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sth Gippsland Victoria Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,952
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
HD DA 20-40 would have my vote. The KP is nearly tailor-made for that lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
This. Add 55-300 PLM in a small Carry bag. What more do you need?
These and a DA 15 Ltd. Then you have a compact, light-weight, travel-the-world kit. (Maybe throw in a DA 70 Ltd for low light and portraits.)

KP + DA 15 Ltd





Last edited by Des; 09-09-2019 at 01:31 PM.
09-09-2019, 08:50 AM - 2 Likes   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
mhsp1948's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 346
Original Poster
Well as many lenses as I have tried I just decided to bite the bullet and get a lens that can trump all of the ones I have tried when it comes to IQ.
So, today I bought the Pentax HD PENTAX-DA* 11-18mm F2.8ED DC AW Lens. Should be in sometime this week and I will post photos once it comes in.
09-10-2019, 03:11 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
mhsp1948's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Mississippi
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 346
Original Poster
If this 11-18mm 2.8 meets my expectations and I fully expect it will surpass my expectations, I will use three lenses with my KP when I travel in my camera bag. The Pentax 11-18mm 2.8, the Sigma 18-50mm 2.8, and the Pentax 200mm 2.8
09-10-2019, 03:52 PM   #60
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Des's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sth Gippsland Victoria Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,952
QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp1948 Quote
I will use three lenses with my KP when I travel in my camera bag. The Pentax 11-18mm 2.8, the Sigma 18-50mm 2.8, and the Pentax 200mm 2.8
My first thought about this was the weight (704g + 565g + 825g = 2.094kg). But it's still signficantly less than an equivalent FF lens kit: DFA 15-30 (1040g), Sigma 24-70 f2.8 (790g), Pentax DA*300 f4 (1070g) = 2.9kg. Not to mention the difference in weight between a KP and K-1ii.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
200mm, 31mm, bullet, da*, f/2.8, f1.8, hd, iq, k-mount, kp, lens, lenses, pentax, pentax lens, pentax-da, post, sdm, sigma, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KP vs K-70 - to KP or not to KP, that is the question OldChE Pentax DSLR Discussion 28 11-02-2019 05:29 AM
KP bug or KP Broken, Av Mode and Red Blinky Warning Text in LV BruceBanner Pentax KP 26 06-25-2019 05:06 PM
KP Overheating? To KP or not... MrStupid Pentax KP 28 07-12-2018 09:50 PM
First Three Days with Kay Pi (KP) - KP vs. K-1 - infos and settings acoufap Pentax KP 10 05-27-2018 09:09 PM
K-3II or KP which one???? Gold Coast Pentax DSLR Discussion 53 02-01-2018 04:14 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:23 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top