Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2019, 06:30 AM   #46
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
I'd just like to chime in to say please exercise caution when using methanol. It's exceptionally nasty stuff with widely-reported toxic effects even at relatively low concentrations in humans.

Good advice with regards to items that have worked for you.

To the OP: as you want something immediate to try, you should try the IPA:water mixture, without wanting to repeat myself (and others).
I have 99,9% IPA. Some of you guys telling me not to dillute it. Can you tell why? If nothing wrong will happen making a mixture, I'd better try 50/50 or even 70/30 concentration with clear water...

08-13-2019, 06:42 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
I have 99,9% IPA. Some of you guys telling me not to dillute it. Can you tell why? If nothing wrong will happen making a mixture, I'd better try 50/50 or even 70/30 concentration with clear water...
99.9% should be fine. However you're only relying on that as the solvent to remove smudges from the surface. Water is also a very powerful/useful solvent so the two combined covers a larger spectrum of things that can be removed. You have the added bonus of reducing the evaporation rate by adding water (so it doesn't dry too quickly) by adding water, too.

There is absolutely nothing wrong that can happen with making a mixture, as long as you're away from any flames (as isopropyl alcohol is flammable as should be stated on the bottle)! 50:50 is fine, 70:30 with more isopropyl is fine. Both have worked on various occasions with various lenses from various decades for me, without any ill-effect.
08-13-2019, 08:15 AM   #48
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Eclipse is simply methanol, the same ingredient as found in yellow Heet (gas-line antifreeze) but comes in an easy to use dispenser.
Note that methanol will dissolve or soften many types of plastic and may not be suitable for use around plastic parts or non-glass optics. As noted above, it is also toxic.

Steve
08-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #49
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Note that methanol will dissolve or soften many types of plastic and may not be suitable for use around plastic parts or non-glass optics. As noted above, it is also toxic.

Steve
I almost sure that it will mark plastics and other non-glass materials around glass if not use carefully, I'm more worried of coatings...

08-13-2019, 08:46 AM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

FWIW, the Zeiss product is appx 5% isopropyl, 95% water.
Not the Zeiss cleaning fluid that I recently purchased. Based on the rate of evaporation and the amount of non-volatile liquid remaining after a few minutes of just sitting there, I estimate about 70% alcohol with an odor similar to but not fully the same as isopropanol alone. Comments from Zeiss on the similar B&H product indicates water + ethanol.

There may be variation between the fluid used with the Zeiss wipes and that in the spray bottle and possibly between N. American distribution and European. Packaging for my bottles is similar to the 2oz bottles sold by B&H. Both mine and those are made in China.

amazon.com: Zeiss Lens Care Pack - 2 - 8 Ounce Bottles of Lens Cleaner, 2 Microfiber Cleaning Cloths: Health & Personal Care?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Note that the MSDS that come up on Google search (e.g. "Ultra Clarity Lens Cleaner") do not appear to be for the product I purchased or that being sold by B&H...wrong color. Note also that MSDS are not required to list all ingredients, only those that are deemed hazardous. The links for MSDS I found at Zeiss did not work.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-13-2019 at 08:55 AM.
08-13-2019, 08:52 AM - 2 Likes   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought some products this morning including ROR, Zeiss Lens Cleaner fluid and a cloth and some lens tissues... but I'm worried to leave the lens in this condition for a long time because these products will arrive in a week or so.
@lev Take a breath. Relax. Leaving smudges on your lens for a week is not at all likely to harm your lens in any way. They’re not acid (are they?). A couple drops of ROR or Zeiss fluid - or even Windex - on a corner of couple sheets of wadded up lens tissue will completely clean the smudges. If they’re bad enough maybe do it twice. It is difficult to harm a lens if you blow / brush off the dust particles first, use simple solutions and fresh, soft tissue.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-13-2019 at 09:43 AM.
08-13-2019, 09:09 AM   #52
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The links for MSDS I found at Zeiss did not work.
Found one that did on this page: Details ? ZEISS Lens cleaning solution for glasses

That indicates a more exotic mix for at least one of their lens cleaning products...
Water
Butyl diglycol
Methylchloroisothiazolinone
Methylisothiazolinone

Steve

08-13-2019, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

Steve
True. If you're getting it on anything other than the glass lens, you're using far too much. Also, don't drink it.

Sort of related. Backpackers prefer methanol (yellow Heet) in their alcohol stoves because it burns so cleanly, cleaner than Iso.
08-13-2019, 09:56 AM   #54
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
True. If you're getting it on anything other than the glass lens, you're using far too much. Also, don't drink it.

Sort of related. Backpackers prefer methanol (yellow Heet) in their alcohol stoves because it burns so cleanly, cleaner than Iso.
I've heard people have died drinking IPA. It has such a terrible smell how they even thought to swallow this thing...
08-13-2019, 10:00 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've heard people have died drinking IPA. It has such a terrible smell how they even thought to swallow this thing...
Addiction is a terrible thing.
08-13-2019, 10:01 AM   #56
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
@lev Take a breath. Relax. Leaving smudges on your lens for a week is not at all likely to harm your lens in any way. They’re not acid (are they?). A couple drops of ROR or Zeiss fluid - or even Windex - on a corner of couple sheets of wadded up lens tissue will completely clean the smudges. If they’re bad enough maybe do it twice. It is difficult to harm a lens if you blow / brush off the dust particles first, use simple solutions and fresh, soft tissue.
thanks buddy... maybe I'll wait if not go super crazy
08-13-2019, 10:42 AM   #57
Pentaxian

Ethanol is taking over methanol for backpacking/hiking purposes these days. Nearly as clean and far fewer toxicity issues. Plus, some militaries have/are looking to adopt ethanol based fuels to replace hexamine.
08-13-2019, 11:48 AM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
Ethanol is taking over methanol for backpacking/hiking purposes these days. Nearly as clean and far fewer toxicity issues. Plus, some militaries have/are looking to adopt ethanol based fuels to replace hexamine.
Ethanol is nothing new. All backpackers I know use methanol for alcohol stoves. It's cheap and easy to get as Heet. Ethanol is expensive and only used as a last resort by me and folks I know. Do you like using ethanol? I get a headache when it burns. It's not so bad to drink though.
08-13-2019, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

Ethanol is nothing new. All backpackers I know use methanol for alcohol stoves. It's cheap and easy to get as Heet. Ethanol is expensive and only used as a last resort by me and folks I know. Do you like using ethanol? I get a headache when it burns. It's not so bad to drink though.
I’ll pm you a response in a bit.
01-02-2020, 03:06 PM   #60
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
guys, happy new year!!

I've decided to not wait until 2021 and started to work with my lens. So I made a choice between some cleaning solutions and picked up a Zeiss lens cleaning wipes.

First I started with the front element. Results are just great, cleaned it perfectly and put a nice UV protector on it.

Now my headache - The rear element. I made a huge step and forgot about a tiny microscopic scratch I was talking about and started to wash out smudges.

Now, thing is, unlike the front element, the rear one leaves an alcohol residue from Zeiss wipe. Fingerprint is gone but now I'm facing another question, leave it as it is or try to remove it somehow? I removed some part with a cotton swab moistured with Zeiss fluid but I don't want to mess with entire surface.

Any ideas?