Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2019, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Lens Parts?

I was in the middle of shooting an event last night when after changing to my Pentax HD FA 24-70mm 2.8 lens I noticed that it was not auto-focusing. When I looked at the back of the lens I found that one of the power contacts for the SDM had bent over backwards, and when I bent it back in place it snapped off. Oy... I called Precision today to inquire about the cost of repairing it and they told me it would be a minimum of $345! These contacts are on a plastic piece just held in by two screws, and the piece is easy to remove and replace. They won't sell me the part and told me to contact Pentax. Pentax then informed me that they won't sell the parts to customers. This is totally frustrating. Any ideas on where I could buy these? By the way, these contacts are very fragile.

08-06-2019, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This question (or similar) gets asked occasionally and so far as I know the answer has always been: neither Pentax or Precision will sell parts to a consumer.

Your choices are to send it to Precision for repair, attempt to find parts from a donor lens, or find a local repair shop that is permitted to buy parts from Pentax.
08-06-2019, 01:25 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

You might contact the US Camera Web site regarding the part. It appears to be a common weak point. As for the quote from Precision, that is probably their default rate for that lens. The actual charge may be greater or less.

Pentax Lenses Archives - USCameraUSCamera

EDIT: Found the part! It is out of stock, but is probably still worth contacting US Camera

US Camera | Pentax 48120-0M291 Power Contact

Steve

(...no relation to US Camera or Precision...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-06-2019 at 01:37 PM.
08-06-2019, 01:41 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Wow, that is great Steve! Thanks much!

08-06-2019, 02:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steve, do you know if this company is selling new parts from Pentax or just reclaimed ones? Regardless, its a source for a lot of stuff that I was unaware of.
08-06-2019, 03:07 PM - 1 Like   #6

USCamera sells new parts. I asked them for a quote on some parts and they apologized for the delay because Pentax (Ricoh) hadn't responded in a timely manner.
08-06-2019, 03:39 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Steve, do you know if this company is selling new parts from Pentax or just reclaimed ones? Regardless, its a source for a lot of stuff that I was unaware of.
My understanding is that unless listed as used, parts are new and genuine.

Steve
08-07-2019, 07:42 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Moved to Pentax SLR Lens Discussion forum