Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2019, 02:58 AM   #1
Pentaxian

How would you price these?

Right, as listed in the Acquisitions thread, I've stumbled across something of a haul and have the view to sell on some of the items received. However, I don't have a clue where to start with some of them as prices on 'popular auction sites' vary depending on the position of the moon and stars (or so it seems).
I'm sure the resident experts here could help, which would be much appreciated! I'm based in the UK and would be happy to know approximate values without postage, wherever possible! As below;
  • Sigma 100-300mm DL f/4.5-6.7 (some dust inside this, haven't checked IQ)
  • DA-50/1.8
  • 50-200mm ED WR
  • Kenko MC7 2x teleconverter
  • Sigma 28-300mm 'hyperzoom' f/3.5-6.3 DL
  • Pentax FA 100-300 f/4.7-5.8
  • (and not strictly a lens but) Pentax K-50 (which would come with strap, charger, white bag, battery, SD card...)

Above is a picture of the items in question (with the exception of the K-70 and Topmax bag).

An idea of a bundle cost would also be appreciated!

Moderators, please let me know if this isn't allowed. All, to clarify, this is not a sales thread but preemptive.

Last edited by Benz3ne; 08-07-2019 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Photo and additional detail.
08-07-2019, 03:29 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

You could go to eBay and do a simple sold items search for each piece. Add the top five numbers together and divide by 5 to get the average sales price on each. Or simply ask what you believe to be a fair price.
08-07-2019, 03:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
You could go to eBay and do a simple sold items search for each piece. Add the top five numbers together and divide by 5 to get the average sales price on each. Or simply ask what you believe to be a fair price.
Sold search! You're onto something there - I was going off current 'auctions', silly me!
These absolutely wouldn't command the earth. The bundle was a great price so, really, I could keep the lot and it still be a bargain, but it's more than I (or rather, my better half) would like occupying our computer desk!

Thanks for this, much appreciated.

K-50 = ~£170 (though all I've seen have more actuations)
50/1.8 = ~£55
50-200WR = ~£50
Pentax FA 100-300 = <£30
Sigma 100-300 DL = ~£20
Sigma 28-300 DL = <£40
Kenko Mc7 2x = Varies a lot, between £35-80 so I'll assume lower end, ~£40

I'd make the total value to be approximately £405 from the above prices, but bundled would probably look to sell for around £300 posted.

Do these figures sound fair?

Last edited by Benz3ne; 08-07-2019 at 03:50 AM.
08-07-2019, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

As you say, prices do seem to vary considerably! One definite, if your Kenko teleconverter is the one with all seven electrical contacts, the autofocus coupling and the power contacts, the "Pz-AF", it's quite rare and desirable and worth considerably more than the £5-10 or so the no-contact or 6-contact versions usually seem to change hands for ... mine works very well with an f/4 or wider lens attached!

Last edited by kypfer; 08-07-2019 at 03:47 AM. Reason: afterthought
08-07-2019, 03:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
As you say, prices do seem to vary considerably! One definite, if your Kenko teleconverter is the one with all seven electrical contacts, the autofocus coupling and the power contacts, the "Pz-AF", it's quite rare and desirable and worth considerably more than the £5-10 or so the no-contact or 6-contact versions usually seem to change hands for ... mine works very well with an f/4 or wider lens attached!
It is indeed the Pz-AF - I believe it has 7 contacts but will double-check later on today!
08-07-2019, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Although there are UK members on this site, are you aware there is a UK Pentax enthusiasts site? You'll probably get good if not better suggestions on UK prices there.
08-07-2019, 05:54 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
one thought

for camera and lenses go to the " reviews " section and check out prices paid by others by looking at the User Reviews

SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

08-07-2019, 05:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Although there are UK members on this site, are you aware there is a UK Pentax enthusiasts site? You'll probably get good if not better suggestions on UK prices there.
I was absolutely unaware of this. Thanks for the pointer, John!

---------- Post added 08-07-19 at 06:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
one thought

for camera and lenses go to the " reviews " section and check out prices paid by others by looking at the User Reviews

SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Thanks for this Fox! I've had a quick gander now and I think I'm approximately right with the prices I've listed.
08-07-2019, 06:28 AM - 2 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
but bundled would probably look to sell for around £300 posted.
Bundles dont tend to sell unless you really discount them.

You wont find anyone who wants all that kit so they will have to sell on the majority of it. Apart from the TC there is not a lot there that is that exciting to make it worthwhile
08-07-2019, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Bundles dont tend to sell unless you really discount them.

You wont find anyone who wants all that kit so they will have to sell on the majority of it. Apart from the TC there is not a lot there that is that exciting to make it worthwhile
Thanks for this. Yes, absolutely agree - I was thinking (read: hoping) that there would be enough variation to make it a worthwhile bundle but, as you say, there's nothing in there that's particularly exciting. I'll perhaps look at selling the body, DA50 and 50-200WR altogether and selling other pieces separately. I think that might be the best approach, given yours and other comments.
08-07-2019, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did buy a bundle once, because it included a Pentax-A 16mm f2.8 FishEye in good nick. It also had a reasonable Pentax-A 24mm 2.8 in the bag. I sold a number of the items including the 24mm ; a bridge camera; and two Program-A's, but kept the 16mm because that was the reason I purchased the bundle. Three of the lenses in the bundle were so full of fungus and in such poor shape they went straight in the bin together with the moldy old camera bags.
08-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
I did buy a bundle once, because it included a Pentax-A 16mm f2.8 FishEye in good nick. It also had a reasonable Pentax-A 24mm 2.8 in the bag. I sold a number of the items including the 24mm ; a bridge camera; and two Program-A's, but kept the 16mm because that was the reason I purchased the bundle. Three of the lenses in the bundle were so full of fungus and in such poor shape they went straight in the bin together with the moldy old camera bags.
Unfortunately that's typically how bundles go! My take on the bundle I'm 'proposing' is that it's got a beginner-focused DSLR with accessories, a small but versatile variety of lenses and travel medium for whoever wants to take up this hobby. As such, £300 is undoubtedly a bit steep but £230-250 including Special Delivery postage might be enough to entice someone to start?
08-07-2019, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Benz3ne Quote
I don't have a clue where to start with some of them as prices on 'popular auction sites' vary depending on the position of the moon and stars (or so it seems).
The fact that the auction site prices are highly variable is a good clue that an item may be of low value or low demand or exceedingly common. That being said, the rule of thumb I might apply with listing is:
How much would I be willing to pay for the same or similar, if I were in the market?
BTW...do remember to check the K-50 for aperture control issues prior to listing.

Steve
08-07-2019, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sell items individually if you want the best price. Bundle them if you just want to get rid of them without much hassle. You have some good suggestions of looking at the ebay sold listings, the lens reviews, and also look that the Marketplace sold listings. However you sell them, describe them fully, use lots of photos, and be as honest on the condition as you can. If you aren't sure about pricing sell them on an auction site and let the market decide, you could put a higher starting price on, but most items seem to sell better when they start low. You can also set a price but be willing to take offers if your price turns out as being too high. Good luck in however you do it.
08-08-2019, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
BTW...do remember to check the K-50 for aperture control issues prior to listing.

Steve
Thanks Steve - a VERY quick test over my lunch break seems to suggest there are aperture issues with the K-50. The description didn't mention any faults whatsoever so I'll notify the seller.

Ergo, I might take Pepperberry Farm's advice on making it a fully manual M42 rig... or I'll disassemble and replace/file the solenoid. Undecided as yet.

Edit: Seller has very generously offered me a £50 refund and told me to keep/bin the camera as he's switched systems away from Pentax. Very pleased with the communications throughout with the seller in question.

Last edited by Benz3ne; 08-08-2019 at 06:42 AM.