Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2019, 05:38 PM - 4 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've just recently taken my 35/2.3 apart and re-lubed the aperture clicker. You don't need to go in from the front, it's really pretty easy. In the link that c.a.m. pointed out, go to step 4. Then remove the screw shown by the green arrow in step 7, and that holds in the spring that holds the small cylindrical bearing that clicks the aperture. Remove that screw slowly so the spring doesn't go springy on you.

Reassemble without the screw, spring or cylinder, and you should be good to go. Reassemble and enjoy. Keep the parts in a tiny zip lock bag, and reassemble if needed to re-click the lens. This involves zero destruction, easy to reverse so those claiming you are doing something terrible to a rare lens can stick it in their ear. Have fun!

One more trick, before disassembling, set the aperture to f22. The mechanism that controls the aperture is easier to align at f22 than at f2.3.

If you have any questions, you can send me a private message, and that will ping my email to check, and I'm happy to help. It's really very easy work though.

Last edited by Kozlok; 08-07-2019 at 05:52 PM.
08-08-2019, 02:47 AM - 1 Like   #17

Original Poster
Wonderful, thanks Kozlok and c.a.m. - I was looking through the other post with YouTube links and missed this very helpful one. I'll give it a go and will experiment with some teflon tape for resistance.
08-08-2019, 08:03 AM   #18

Just a little tip if you are a klutz like me. Put the lens in a clear plastic bag large enough to get your hands in there and you're less likely to lose those pesky tiny parts.
08-08-2019, 11:58 AM - 3 Likes   #19

Original Poster
Purely for those searching in the future, Kozlok helped me to understand that this lens can't be de-clicked. The iris seems to rely on opposing tension from the spring and the stop mechanism, and just pulls back to f22 without the bearing in place. I assume this would be the case for all other lenses with the same mechanics.

Also, I found replacing the little spring steel part that pushes the bearing into place completely impossible. So, a resounding karmic victory for the Lens Protection League.

Thanks all the same for the encouragement!

08-08-2019, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #20
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben J Quote
Purely for those searching in the future, Kozlok helped me to understand that this lens can't be de-clicked. The iris seems to rely on opposing tension from the spring and the stop mechanism, and just pulls back to f22 without the bearing in place. I assume this would be the case for all other lenses with the same mechanics.
Interesting!

I've bought a few lenses over the years that had been de-clicked by previous owners, but these were manual aperture M42 models. In those instances, all that was necessary to restore original operation was to find one or two small-enough BBs to replace those that had been removed.

I don't know whether you've already worked with M42 mount lenses, but there's a lot of them around, including many older Pentax models, some of which are quite excellent...

Also, I found replacing the little spring steel part that pushes the bearing into place completely impossible. So, a resounding karmic victory for the Lens Protection League.
LOL Despite my preference for originality, I'm sorry you weren't able to achieve what you wanted with this particular lens. But there are plenty of others to try Good luck
08-16-2019, 06:45 PM - 1 Like   #21
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for showing us your modifications.
That's actually more what this forum is about.
Sharing experiences on all aspects of photography, not just what comes from stock standard gear,
Hope you enjoy this wealth of knowledge and experience here.
08-16-2019, 10:10 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Have you tried cocking the lens to see if it stays wide open? Kind of a shame considering mine is not what I'd consider collector quality and wouldn't have minded declicking it.