Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
08-07-2019, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #1

Advice on de-clicking a Takumar 35mm f2.3

Hi all. Hope I'm in the right place.

I'm a filmmaker and collect M42 mount lenses, which I adapt to EF-mount.

I'd like to de-click my Takumar 35mm 2.3, but can't find much info on this kind of lens. There are no screws to access the mount on the back. It looks like I need to rotate the rear element (using the two grooves) to access the iris section. See images.

Any advice? I'm reasonably capable, but certainly in danger of not being able to reassemble if I make a wrong move.

Many thanks
Ben

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone SE  Photo 
08-07-2019, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #2

Original Poster
Ah, I see. That kind of forum. Apologies all.
08-07-2019, 07:57 AM   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben J Quote
no, it's not that kind of forum, Ben... those two are out of line...

plenty of members here have altered their lenses...
08-07-2019, 08:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I am truly sorry about this, and I hope that this really is NOT that kind of forum. If someone owns a lens he can do whatever he wishes with it!
AFAIK these old lenses are pretty easy to declick. its just about removing the tiny sphere nested in a hole with a spring underneath that pushes it against the inner part of the apperture ring. You might want to start from the mount side of the lens.
I hope I could be of any help!

08-07-2019, 08:08 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
no, it's not that kind of forum, Ben... those two are out of line...

plenty of members here have altered their lenses...
Welcome to the forums, Ben

I've deleted the first two responses you've received. As @pepperberry farm; rightly says, that's not the kind of forums we run here. However, by way of explanation (not justification), I'd say that some folks who shoot Pentax - myself included, admittedly - cringe a little at the thought of native K-mount lenses being modified to non-original state. For what it's worth, I collect Soviet lenses in various mounts, and feel similarly queasy when people modify those... Each lens modified is one fewer that can be enjoyed as it was originally intended when some future owner acquires it.

That said - you're absolutely at liberty to do whatever you wish with equipment you own. But hopefully you'll understand why the first couple of responses to your original post were unnecessarily terse

I can't help with the de-clicking procedure for that lens, I'm afraid, but perhaps another of our members can.
08-07-2019, 08:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi @Ben J;

Welcome to Pentax Forums. I think that you'll find an abundance of information here.

Does this article help?

Pentax Auto Takumar 35mm F2.3 Loose barrel Fix - PentaxForums.com

- Craig
08-07-2019, 08:11 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No Apologies necessary. Your question is exactly what the Forum is for.

The actions by the two members were uncalled for.

I hope that over time you will see that the Forum is a great place to gather information, meet new folks with similar interest and make your photography ventures enjoyable.

Regards,

-dave

08-07-2019, 08:28 AM   #8

It is my understanding also that "de-clicking" a lens with aperture ring is to remove the "de-tent" ball bearing and spring. A procedure that is reversible by replacing the spring and ball (as long as you don't lose the parts).

With the later Takumar prime lenses you have to start from the front of the lens, removing the focusing ring and then the aperture scale barrel. I haven't found any guides for the semi-auto Takumar lenses such as the 35mm f2.3 but I would guess the procedure is similar.

Check the disassembly database for links on tearing down some of the Takumar lenses for some ideas:
Pentax Lens Disassembly Database - PentaxForums.com

Welcome to the PentaxForum. Don't let atypical behavior put you off.

Edit: looks like the post that C.A.M. linked above is exactly what you need
08-07-2019, 09:52 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’m not sure that Ben will look in again after the unfortunate ‘welcome’ that he received; hope the mods will have an appropriate word with the two folks in question. There’s no excuse for that kind of rudeness.
08-07-2019, 10:24 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'd say that some folks who shoot Pentax - myself included, admittedly - cringe a little at the thought of native K-mount lenses being modified to non-original state.
I thought that Pentax people are more into modifying lenses than anyone else :P He that never thought about leitaxing a Zeiss, let him cast the first stone
08-07-2019, 11:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have one of these lenses that doesn't see a lot of use. If declicking means that the lens will get used more, go for it! Just be sure to keep the parts to restore it back to original when the time comes.
08-07-2019, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
I thought that Pentax people are more into modifying lenses than anyone else :P He that never thought about leitaxing a Zeiss, let him cast the first stone
We probably are, just not Pentax ones😀

Having said that, modifications on rare or desirable lenses of any brand should b done with care and the through that they can be returned back to operational state. De clicking the aperture, of you keep the parts is fine, what people cringe at is hacking off the aperture lever on a 50mm F 1.2 so it clears the mirror.

But I am not sure the OP’s lens is really rare enough to worry about
08-07-2019, 02:10 PM   #13
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums, Ben. This is really a very friendly place and I am sorry (and surprised) that you got that kind of initial response. I have no experience with this lens but going by the reviews of it here (Auto Takumar 35mm F2.3 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Wide-Angle Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database) it should be an interesting choice for film. Good luck with your project.
08-07-2019, 03:37 PM - 2 Likes   #14

Original Poster
Thanks folks. Luckily, I had one more glance before fleeing.

My other M42-mount lenses are the preset variety, so already have the click-less aperture ring and require no sacrilegious butchery. The info above suggests I would need to go in from the front, which is probably too big a job for me.

Thanks for the advice.
08-07-2019, 04:45 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The info above suggests I would need to go in from the front, which is probably too big a job for me.
If I understood the disassembly guide at the link I provided, only the lower/rear barrel would need to be removed, involving a few small screws. However, I didn't read the instructions closely, so I might have missed some complexities.

In any case, best wishes for happy shooting with your M42's!

- Craig