Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2019, 11:05 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My new old M lens

First of all, just abnormally big thanks to Eric (simple1) for this beautiful lens he sent me as a gift!

Pentax M 50mm f1.7

Eric, thank you so much.

First thing I immediately noticed is that how much smoother the focus ring feels compared to any other modern lenses I have. It is just pleasure to rotate, just to do it without even taking pictures, it is that pleasing. More than that, you feel more resistance in hand when you rotate it faster. It is so good you'll want to do manual focus all time.

The aperture ring is somehow stiff, but I think it's better to be stiff than accidentally change it in the field.

I don't know about other series yet, but the build quality of this lens is just fantastic.

I'll take some good pictures soon, like it deserves

by the way, can you guys tell me your thoughts about focusing experiences with other M lenses or A whatever...

Last edited by Lev; 08-07-2019 at 11:40 AM.
08-07-2019, 11:21 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
which lens?
08-07-2019, 11:37 AM - 1 Like   #3
Lev
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
which lens?
ogh sorry forgot to mention
Pentax M 50mm f1.7
08-07-2019, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I’ve The A-50/1.7 and it’s gorgeous. Really good fun and takes some gorgeous pictures. Properly sharp from about /3.5. Looking forward to the pictures you produce with it!

08-07-2019, 12:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a big fan of this lens. I'm old enough that auto-focus still seems like a luxury. Nothing was auto when I took up serious photography; not focus, not exposure. So this lens has no limitations in my opinion, and the IQ is wonderful. As far as thoughts about focusing - with the aperture wide open and focusing at its minimum distance, the DOF will be quite narrow. I've found that as I lean over a flower or a bug for a close shot, my body sways back and forth just enough to shift the focus point. Either stop the lens down for greater DOF, or use a tripod or at least a monopod. You can also try the 'catch-in-focus' technique. If your camera has enough megapixels, you can back away from the subject which will give you better DOF. Check out this DOF calculator:
A Flexible Depth of Field Calculator
08-07-2019, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Congrats! I have both the A and M versions of the 50/1.7. Both are very nice indeed. I find the A version focuses a bit more smoothly, but I enjoy the tactile feel and build quality of the M better (LBA warning ahead!) If you enjoy your M50, you will also enjoy the K55 (either f/1.8 or f/2) or one of the Takumar 55's - they have even better build quality and smoother focus, IMO. Have fun!
08-07-2019, 12:56 PM   #7
Lev
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I'm a big fan of this lens. I'm old enough that auto-focus still seems like a luxury. Nothing was auto when I took up serious photography; not focus, not exposure. So this lens has no limitations in my opinion, and the IQ is wonderful. As far as thoughts about focusing - with the aperture wide open and focusing at its minimum distance, the DOF will be quite narrow. I've found that as I lean over a flower or a bug for a close shot, my body sways back and forth just enough to shift the focus point. Either stop the lens down for greater DOF, or use a tripod or at least a monopod. You can also try the 'catch-in-focus' technique. If your camera has enough megapixels, you can back away from the subject which will give you better DOF. Check out this DOF calculator:
A Flexible Depth of Field Calculator
It's funny you have mentioned about the body swaying, I'm focusing that way with my DFA 100mm almost every time even at f4 or even f5, not saying f2.8 which is so narrow that I'm missing perfect focus even with a tripod. Just a tiny vibration and the focus is out. Thanks for the link by the way, I found that sometimes even at f11 the dof calculator is helpful.

---------- Post added 08-07-19 at 01:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Congrats! I have both the A and M versions of the 50/1.7. Both are very nice indeed. I find the A version focuses a bit more smoothly, but I enjoy the tactile feel and build quality of the M better (LBA warning ahead!) If you enjoy your M50, you will also enjoy the K55 (either f/1.8 or f/2) or one of the Takumar 55's - they have even better build quality and smoother focus, IMO. Have fun!
Hey thanks! I'll take a look carefully.
08-07-2019, 01:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

The M50 f1.7 is probably my all time favorite lens. Wide open, the narrow DoF can be a challenge, especially in a DSLR.
If you like how it feels, you can also try a Super Takumar 55 f1.8 on an SV or H3... Pure joy!

Thanks,

08-09-2019, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
First of all, just abnormally big thanks to Eric (simple1) for this beautiful lens he sent me as a gift!

Pentax M 50mm f1.7

Eric, thank you so much.

First thing I immediately noticed is that how much smoother the focus ring feels compared to any other modern lenses I have. It is just pleasure to rotate, just to do it without even taking pictures, it is that pleasing. More than that, you feel more resistance in hand when you rotate it faster. It is so good you'll want to do manual focus all time.

The aperture ring is somehow stiff, but I think it's better to be stiff than accidentally change it in the field.

I don't know about other series yet, but the build quality of this lens is just fantastic.

I'll take some good pictures soon, like it deserves

by the way, can you guys tell me your thoughts about focusing experiences with other M lenses or A whatever...
Glad you like the lens!
M, K, and Tak are all nice. As ismaelg said you should try a Tak next.
For focusing I tend to use live view with magnification on a still object. If it needs to happen faster I'l just rely on focus confirmation, not as exact so I usually stop down a bit more.
08-09-2019, 10:13 AM   #10
Lev
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by simple1 Quote
Glad you like the lens!
M, K, and Tak are all nice. As ismaelg said you should try a Tak next.
For focusing I tend to use live view with magnification on a still object. If it needs to happen faster I'l just rely on focus confirmation, not as exact so I usually stop down a bit more.
Yep, great we have this confirmation beep and indication, really helps. But even without that, it is just joy play with.