Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ert Quote
Btw, I'm using Photoshop CS3 - my father add it and always worked with it.

Here's my first "good" picture
Well, it certainly is good. Kudos.

I'm sure your dad is happy wherever he is that you took up photography. Keep shooting.

10-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Great pic

QuoteOriginally posted by ert Quote
Btw, I'm using Photoshop CS3 - my father add it and always worked with it.

Here's my first "good" picture
A very well composed first posted pic, well done and the IQ is fine. The people who say the 18-55mm is a good lens are right IMO I think its a great lens and have no problem leaving it on my camera. Photography is something to grow into if you are just starting that lens will serve you well and believe it or not buying a more expensive lens may not produce better results that you could see. As you grow into photography your eyes get better and better at detecting differences between lens, sharpness, color, contrast and so on. You could sell your other lens and get a Tamron 70-300mm or Pentax 50-200mm or other telephoto, thats usaly the first thing a dSLR owner wants and would go well with the 18-55mm. You also have a great PP package in CS3. Your father left you some good stuff. I lost my father about 10 years ago; I was 31. The hardest part now is I miss him sometimes and cant turn back time or call him and talk to him. Now I look in the mirror and see my dad and wonder where has the time gone? And one day I will be where he is. OK I will stop reflecting. Have fun with your new hobby.
10-12-2008, 10:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Haha thats a hilarious pic. What a candid moment! Can I get a print?

ert, I too would like to extend my condolences. My dad also shot with Pentax and when I discovered what a difference it was vs. Canon, I switched in a heartbeat.

I think the dilemma is more the focal length. Its what has afforded lenses like the Sigma DC17-70 a growing fan base.

Lenses like the DA18-55 and by extension to some degree, the DA16-45, ain't well rounded enough when it comes to certain photographic applications like weddings/event photography. Sure they got lots of wide but when it comes down to nailing candids from farther distances, you are out of luck unless you switch lenses which can prove somewhat disastrous.

With a lens like 28-70, you lose the wide angle but you gain more working tele. So depending on your style photography,..say if you like portraits/candids, the extra tele will benefit you alot.
10-13-2008, 09:53 AM   #19
ert

Original Poster
Yes FotoPete you can surely have a print. Just leave or send me by pm your email address.

Regards, and thaks again.

10-13-2008, 12:29 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Lenses like the DA18-55 and by extension to some degree, the DA16-45, ain't well rounded enough when it comes to certain photographic applications like weddings/event photography. Sure they got lots of wide but when it comes down to nailing candids from farther distances, you are out of luck unless you switch lenses which can prove somewhat disastrous.

With a lens like 28-70, you lose the wide angle but you gain more working tele.
On the other hand, you can emulate the effect of 70mm on the 18-55 by cropping in PP; obviously no amount will allow the 28-70 to emulate the 18-55.

I used to think of this as "cheating", and with my DS, the resolution was such that I never felt comfortable with the results even when I got over my reluctance. With my K200D (same resolution as OP's K10D), I'm much happier cropping when I feel like it.

But that said, a 28-70 that was a constant f/2.8 would be enough of an improvement to make me consider that.