Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2008, 10:06 AM   #1

Pentax 18-55al vs pentax 28-70 al

Hi! I'm trying to follow my dad's work as he passed away recently. He always loved Pentax and I have few of them with me.

I'm starting photography with his k10d and I have two lens:

1- PENTAX 18-55AL - came with the camera and everyone tells me they're bad
2- PENTAX 28-70 AL - my father used it in his 1st.

What are the main differences between this 2 lens and which one should I use to start praticing?

Thank you very much!

10-11-2008, 10:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ert Quote
Hi! I'm trying to follow my dad's work as he passed away recently. He always loved Pentax and I have few of them with me.

What are the main differences between this 2 lens and which one should I use to start praticing?

Thank you very much!
PENTAX 18-55AL was designed for ASP-C sensor, PENTAX 28-70 AL was designed for FF film (FF sensor)

if you will sell those probably you can get ~$100 or more, add ~$150 or less you can get Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.5 here (used) that might be a better deal (but be advised that you should ask the seller
to produce the pictures where you can see that all 4 corners are equally sharp - many copies of Sigma 17-70 has some kind of decentering defect)... 17-70 will cover the range of 18-55 and 28-70 at once

PS: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/38576-sigma-17-70-a.html

Last edited by deejjjaaaa; 10-11-2008 at 10:17 AM.
10-11-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
ert

Original Poster
So I should stick to the 18-55?

I also found a TAMRON 28-200 are they good lens? Should I use them on the k10d? Thank you!
10-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

tamron isn't a bad lens, but the two lenses you have now are better. the tamron is good if you're looking for a budget superzoom.

10-11-2008, 04:57 PM   #5
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree with K100D
tamron 28-200 isn't too bad, but if DA18-55 is better, I don't know about the other lens you mention...
anyway, don't listen to people saying DA18-55 is bad. Sure it's not the best out there, but it's one of the better kit lenses out there, and for beginner it's more than adequate...
BR
10-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Who is "everyone"? My guess is they fall into two categories:

- People who don't use shoot Pentax, and assume that because the lens that came with *their* camera was bad, the Pentax lens must be just as bad. These people are simply wrong.

- People who have extremely high standards in lenses, to the point where only lenses costing the better part of $1000 are worth shooting with. And no dount these lenses 8are* better than the 18-55. But for the money, the 18-55 absolutely cannot be beat.

QuoteQuote:

What are the main differences between this 2 lens
The 18-55 has a wider wide end, and the 28-70 a long long end.

QuoteQuote:
and which one should I use to start praticing?
No question in my mind the 18-55 is the more generally useful set of focal lengths for most purposes, but it's nice to have the option of the slightly longer focal lengths too. Sooner or later, though, you'll probably want a real telephoto lens - one that goes to 200 or 300.
10-11-2008, 05:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm sorry for you recent loss and i hope you can feel closer to him by using his gear. I also got into Pentax because my father had it as well...

Regarding the lenses, these guys here know all about these things, just read a bit and get your credit cards ready!
10-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Ert - welcome to the forum - and real sorry for your loss.

As to the lenses - there's no reason to hurry up and sell one (or all for that matter). Take pictures with all of 'em - get familiar with how they work and what coverage you can expect from them.

After a while you'll find yourself "mostly" using one (of two) of them - that will give you a much better idea of what your style is and what you like to shoot. Then you can think about getting better glass. No sense spending a bunch of your hard earned $$'s until you know what you really want.

Have fun - you've got a great camera and some fairly decent lenses to start off with.

10-12-2008, 05:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Welcome to the club!

As Marc mentioned, the 18-55 is not a bad lens and it is better than the 28-70, so you should normally use the 18-55.

There is one advantage of the 28-70 over the 18-55, it is a little longer (more enlargement) and faster (collects more light when set at F4).
This means that you can create more blurry backgrounds and take images with less light, which is nice for portrait photography.

These are the main advantages of an SLR camera over a compact camera.
10-12-2008, 05:30 AM   #10
Ed in GA

Thank you very much!
First, I'm very sorry for your loss. I lost my father many years ago and life was never the same without him.

Secondly......

Since you are new to photography I'd suggest that before you make any decisions concerning lens selection that you do the following two things..

1. Go to your local book store and buy a copy of "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson. This book will answer many of the questions you have about lens focals lengths, f/stop and how to use most of the features on your camera.

2. after reading Brian's book, get out and start shooting. Unlike the old film days, you can shoot until your heart is content and waste nothing in the process.

You're also going to need some post processing software for your digital images. Since you are posting here, I'll assume that you do have a computer.

I use Photoshop elements for Post processing. There are several free, downloadable digital processing programs available. "Picasa" comes to mind.

Finally, ask all of the questions you can think of right here on this forum. There is a seach function here that you can use to find useful information, but don't be afraid to ask question.

There is a wealth of experience and knowledge amongst the membership here on this forum. Feel free to draw from us.

ciao`

Ed
10-12-2008, 06:26 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Sorry for your loss. Dad started me on Pentax back in '72. I lost him in 2002. I empathize. I still shoot the cameras he gave me.

My advice is to keep and use both those lenses. The 18-55 is not a bad lens at all. It's a good match to you K10D and frankly, I like mine very much. It is made for a digital sensor and so will not work well on a 35mm film body.

The 28-70mm I think you are talking about is the constant f/4. I feel this a very special little lens. I have taken some really nice photos with that lens on my K10D. It's outstanding really, especially from about 35mm. It also has a decent close focus ability. Since the 28-70mm is full frame you can use it on a film camera like the *ist or any number of other Pentax film and digital cameras.

I personally beleive that it is a very nice stand in for the Tamron 28-75mm. And yet is is extremely compact and very, very light. Much, MUCH more so than the Tamron, and in certain situations I go straight for that lens because of this.

Read the comments here:

Brief Comments

It seems that some people have experienced quality issues with it. Specifically, it seems like some of the lenses may separate. This seems particularly true where cold is introduced. Don't leave the lens in your car overnight in winter. Not that I would do that to any camera.

Very nice versions of this lens are only fetching a little over $100.00 or so, so I'd keep it and use it liberally. It is worth much more than that, and I think the price reflects fears of separation. But you already own it, so like I said... keep it.

Of the two lenses you have, you have a nice range. I'd use the 28-70mm as my walk around and use the 18-55mm for the lower range, for landscapes and such. Since the 28-70mm can be a little distorted at 28mm or so, the 18-55mm will cover that range well.

Either is a great walk-around lens though and you have 18-70mm effectively covered with some very decent glass. Take your time. Learn to shoot with what you have. You'll eventually come to know more about that for which you are looking. Don't be in too much of a hurry.

Kind regards,

woof!
10-12-2008, 03:01 PM   #12
ert

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your warm welcome.

My dad was a Pentax addict and always told me that Pentax cameras are not for everyone, they're "like" special.

Besides the K10d he also left a *ist but I'm starting on the K10d because I think it's less "complicated".

Regarding lenses, thank you for your answers and I starting with the 15-55AL to explore the camera and photography itself.

I'm reading Understanding Exposure revised and I'm really enjoying it! I'll see what more equipment I have for you to give me some hints.

Thank you all.
10-12-2008, 03:08 PM   #13
ert

Original Poster
Btw, I'm using Photoshop CS3 - my father add it and always worked with it.

Here's my first "good" picture
Attached Images

10-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a terrific shot, ert!. Nice work. Were you advertising supper time perhaps?
10-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #15
Ed in GA

Btw, I'm using Photoshop CS3 - my father add it and always worked with it.

Here's my first "good" picture
Looks like you're getting the hang of it quite quickly.

That's a very good photo.