Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2019, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds as though you've dispassionately evaluated your own shooting habits, which is better than all the advice from the rest of us who make recommendations based our own shooting preferences. But you'll still wish you had something you left behind - and with such a small kit, you'll probably use everything you bring.

08-08-2019, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Thanks for all your excellent comments. And yes, I will definitely watch out about trying to get the perfect selfie— I have heard about people in Yosemite falling to their death this year doing just that.

So I went back to pictures I took from my 2018 and 2017 trips to Acadia National Park in Maine and Olympic National Park in Washington State, to get a sense of what lenses I most often used. I’m now thinking I might not need the 55-300mm zoom, assuming I take my 18-135, because I agree with @DeadJohn - in my circumstances in traveling with a 8 and 5 year old, I don’t have time to change lenses all that often in the field — so it’s more likely I will pick a lens for a particular day and leave the others back at the hotel or in the car. I did use my DA 70mm a fair amount while in Acadia and got some awesome candid shots of my kids scrambling around on big rocks and on the beach. I also used my DA 15mm in Olympic a lot, though my 18-135 was the true workhorse of that amazing trip. I actually took my DA 10-17 and Sigma 10-20mm to Acadia and used both, though I seem to recall that the DA 10-17 shots were more contrasty and of course had the punchier Pentax colors. Plus DA 10-17 is a lot lighter and smaller. I also took my DA 55-300 PLM to Acadia but ended up using it just for a few shots. I guess I’m not really a wildlife shooter, or the 135mm end of the 18-135 is good enough. I think I’ll leave the 55-300 at home in the interest of keeping my camera bag as light and small as possible.

So... I’ll probably pack the DA 10-17 fisheye for wide angle and creative shots (though I might swap it for the Sigma 10-20 at the last minute when I’m packing). Then I will also take the 18-135 for use as my primary walk around, and finally, my favorite lens DA 70 for a fast telephoto prime that will give me the sharpest pictures. That’s a pretty nice group of 3 lenses given my particular circumstances, shooting preferences, and where I’m headed.

I love this forum! Thanks for the great advice.
This is none of the 3 stooges combination ha ha.

Enjoy your trip, take loads of pics of your kids (even if they hate us the most for torturing them to stand here, stand there, look here there...), to me these are priceless, nature can wait!!
08-08-2019, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by suraswami Quote
This is none of the 3 stooges combination ha ha.
Hah! I went with none of the above! Reminds me of a funny line from the classic movie Airplane!

Leslie Nielsen: "What did the pilot eat for dinner tonight?"
Stewardess: "There was a choice- steak or fish."
Nielsen: "Ah yes, I remember, I had the lasagna."
08-08-2019, 03:49 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

don't forget to put the camera down once in a while and just enjoy the experience

08-08-2019, 04:53 PM - 2 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm late to the party, but I can't imagine going to Yosemite without the DA10-17 and 55-300.
The middle range could equally be taken by the DA20-40 or DA18-135. You can't lose either way.

But like a few others, I would not limit myself to just three lenses. The DA15 is so small it's a free kick, as is your beloved DA70
08-08-2019, 07:24 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
don't forget to put the camera down once in a while and just enjoy the experience
This,
And taking photos of the kids, You may only make this trip once with this version and this time of life of your family, it's important to be there for them, and to record it,
You won't regret missing another photo of Half Dome as much as not having photos of your family later.

Looking back at my shots of Mt. St. Helens from just a week ago now, The shots with my family in them mean more to me than the landscapes.

Enjoy your time there, Yosemite is a special place, get out of the valley if you can, it's got all the highlights, but the rest of the park is wonderful too, and nowhere near as crowded. Hiking just a few minutes out on some of the valley trails weeds out a lot of the folks too. I used to go in the early spring, late fall and winter to avoid the crowds when I lived in CA, but it was nearly 30-years ago I was last there, have fun.
08-08-2019, 07:32 PM - 1 Like   #37

One reminder about the DA 10-17... you do get some purple fringing with it. It shows up a lot when you are shooting tree branches in front of a sunny sky. I don’t have the 15 or 10-20 mm for comparison.

The key is to have at least one ultra wide angle lens... you will use it!

08-08-2019, 07:33 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-Three Quote
This,
And taking photos of the kids, You may only make this trip once with this version and this time of life of your family, it's important to be there for them, and to record it,
You won't regret missing another photo of Half Dome as much as not having photos of your family later.

Looking back at my shots of Mt. St. Helens from just a week ago now, The shots with my family in them mean more to me than the landscapes.

Enjoy your time there, Yosemite is a special place, get out of the valley if you can, it's got all the highlights, but the rest of the park is wonderful too, and nowhere near as crowded. Hiking just a few minutes out on some of the valley trails weeds out a lot of the folks too. I used to go in the early spring, late fall and winter to avoid the crowds when I lived in CA, but it was nearly 30-years ago I was last there, have fun.
Thank you and @aslyfox very much, for this important reminder. I certainly agree with you. Especially as my wife is not a photographer and is not thrilled when I take too many photos on vacation. So I need to keep things in perspective!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
But like a few others, I would not limit myself to just three lenses. The DA15 is so small it's a free kick, as is your beloved DA70
Oh man, now you've done it. OK, let me see what kind of space I have in my bag. I might just be able to sneak in the DA 15 and DA 70, along with the zooms!

---------- Post added 08-08-19 at 10:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MaineNative Quote
The key is to have at least one ultra wide angle lens... you will use it!
thanks, will do. those are some big trees out there!
08-08-2019, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #39
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good'ay

MMM
You had only a mix of 5 zooms so they all go..
plus DA 15 and DA 70 ltds

Not very helpfull aye

Dave
08-09-2019, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #40
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Oh man, now you've done it. OK, let me see what kind of space I have in my bag. I might just be able to sneak in the DA 15 and DA 70, along with the zooms! . . .
buy a multi pocketed travel vest

Your latest acquisition - PentaxForums.com

you will be surprised what you can hide in it
08-09-2019, 12:25 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The DA 55-300 is definitely coming with me. My wife just told me that after King’s Canyon/Sequoia, we’re taking a 2-night trip to Monterey for the aquarium and to go on a whale-watching boat trip. She organizes these vacations and just tells me when and where to show up!
08-09-2019, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #42
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . She organizes these vacations and just tells me when and where to show up!
nice work if you can get it
08-09-2019, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #43

When I went to the Monterey aquarium a few years ago, I got some great shots of the jelly fish tanks.
08-09-2019, 09:36 PM - 1 Like   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MaineNative Quote
My vote is the 18-135, 10-17 and the 55-300. I have all three lenses and they are fairly compact. This is the combo I normally take on travel with my K-5. The 55-300 would pretty much be just for wildlife.

The 10-17 is “fishy” at 10 mm, but it makes some neat shots due to the wide view. Just pay attention to what you want to keep straight and put it in the middle of the lens.
This is my vote! It was my travel combo (until I replaced the 18-135 with the 16-85.)
08-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok i have decided - 4 lenses total.

DA 10-17mm fisheye
DA 15mm limited
DA 18-135mm WR
HD DA 55-300mm PLM WR

Can’t wait to leave on vacation!