Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Sears 60-300mm lens question (Pin removal?)

Hello everybody. I just found this forum, and I'm already in love.

Anyway, I have a question. I just got a few new lens from the local thrift shop, and I need to know a little info about one of them. It's a "Sears" (most likely Ricoh) 60-300mm lens (with macro) for 8 bucks (!), but it seems to have the "Ricoh-Pin" problem.

How does one go about removing the "Ricoh-Pin"? My eye glass screw driver set doesn't seem to want to unscrew the mount. Is there a special tool I need, or should I just apply more pressure? I don't want to wreck the screws, and my tiny driver seems to push itself up when I turn "lefty-loose-y"

Has anyone here ever done the procedure? Is there a good run down of how to do it? I've search these forums, and no joy.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I also got a Cimko MT 28mm 2.8f, Albinar ADG 135mm 2.8f, each for three bucks!!!! I've always wanted a wide angle lens, and it seems that everyone loves the 135. I couldn't pass it up at those prices! They also had a ton of tele-converters, but I'm not sure about them... the mounts seems strange.

10-11-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ScannerBrightly Quote
Hello everybody. I just found this forum, and I'm already in love.

How does one go about removing the "Ricoh-Pin"? My eye glass screw driver set doesn't seem to want to unscrew the mount. Is there a special tool I need, or should I just apply more pressure? I don't want to wreck the screws, and my tiny driver seems to push itself up when I turn "lefty-loose-y"

Has anyone here ever done the procedure? Is there a good run down of how to do it? I've search these forums, and no joy.

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I also got a Cimko MT 28mm 2.8f, Albinar ADG 135mm 2.8f, each for three bucks!!!! I've always wanted a wide angle lens, and it seems that everyone loves the 135. I couldn't pass it up at those prices! They also had a ton of tele-converters, but I'm not sure about them... the mounts seems strange.
Welcome to the forum!

I've done the pin removal once. Here's a link with better photos than I can provide:

theatre of noise: Ricoh Lenses On Pentax Cameras -- The Ricoh Pin Fix

The most important thing (really not that important, considering that you lens cost only $8) is to avoid stripping the screw slots. It's best to use a correctly sized precision screwdriver (Wiha makes some good ones).

Hold the lens in one hand, and push down on the end of the screwdriver to firmly seat the blades in the slots, and then turn lefty-loosy; the screw should come out.
10-12-2008, 09:06 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
sheesh! One of the screws is stripped!

I got three of the four screws out with no problem, but one of them looked a little wonky before I started. That one got stripped and won't budge. I'm not sure what to do.

I may have to get a #0 Torx head driver and see if that will grip it.

Any suggestions?
10-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Got it!!

I hammered (lightly tapped?) an eye glass screwdriver (non-Phillips, btw).

I love this lens. It's a Sears model #202 - 7368300, in case anyone cares. Wow! For being so cheap at a thrift store, it's a sharp lens with no scratches.

Thanks everyone!

10-21-2009, 09:33 AM   #5

How does this lens compare to something like the SMC-F 100-300mm on an MF camera?