Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
08-10-2019, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glasbak Quote
And here they differ (look at the optical diagrams) : Pentax Short Telephoto Prime Lenses | The K-Mount Page
So, who to believe ?

And you are talking about the DFA100 WR, I have no experience with that lens, I did mention clearly the plastic aperture ring versions and never the WR version.

Some other hints for demanding macro photographers :
Avoid lenses with a plastic filter thread (easily damaged when attaching the lens in reverse, or attaching a ring flash)
Avoid lenses without aperture ring if you want to reverse a lens, or use it on bellows, controlling aperture becomes a nightmare.
i'm admittedly no expert, just some one who posts a lot

so I am not good at reading the optical diagrams you reference

nor your other items

may I suggest that if you want to continue this we go PM

as I am not sure we are helping the thread by doing as we are doing

Last edited by aslyfox; 08-10-2019 at 08:41 AM.
08-10-2019, 07:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
None of these earlier lenses had rounded aperture blades.
I recall reading in the past that the rounded aperture blades in the later versions caused some problems at times, but don't recall where I read that or what the problem was. That source recommended the older versions of the lens, again if I recall correctly.

If anyone can clarify this I would appreciate it Thanks.
08-10-2019, 08:24 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@Bui If you really get in to Macro, look for the DFA100/2.8 Macro WR - all metal construction, near Limited quality and they seem to be available here around $375 for unused copies. I sold mine because my copy hunted like a dog after a meal so I couldn’t use it as a regular 100mm short tele.

The F @ $200 is a good value and the same optics.

I have the FA50/2.8 Macro (sharpest Pentax lens ever @110lpmm) and the FA100/2.8 Macro. Both are beasts and have wonky manual focus grips, but awesome Macro lenses. I’ve sold most of my other macros - excepting the K50/4 and K100/4 (collection lenses) and the Vivitar 90/2.5.

Last edited by monochrome; 08-10-2019 at 09:53 AM.
08-10-2019, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

F100, FA100, DFA100, DFA100WR - Which is which? They’re all 9 elements in 8 groups.

The F and FA versions have metal internal barrels but some engineering plastic exterior components, such as the external barrels and aperture rings. The only real solution is to acquire a fine copy of a manual all metal Macro (Pentax 100, Vivtar/Tokina 90, Tamron 90, or an exotic like a Pentax A200 or Voightlander 125) and have it completely reconstructed by a competent technician.

Attached Images

Last edited by monochrome; 08-10-2019 at 08:54 AM.
08-10-2019, 08:49 AM - 3 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glasbak Quote
And here they differ (look at the optical diagrams) : Pentax Short Telephoto Prime Lenses | The K-Mount Page
So, who to believe ?

And you are talking about the DFA100 WR, I have no experience with that lens, I did mention clearly the plastic aperture ring versions and never the WR version.

Some other hints for demanding macro photographers :
Avoid lenses with a plastic filter thread (easily damaged when attaching the lens in reverse, or attaching a ring flash)
Avoid lenses without aperture ring if you want to reverse a lens, or use it on bellows, controlling aperture becomes a nightmare.
Why all this nitpicking, the OP stated he was new to macro he is not as far as I can tell a "demanding macro photographer"? Seems to me the newer smc PENTAX-D FA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR is a very good lens for what he needs. plus it can be used for a short telephoto also.
08-10-2019, 09:16 AM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Why all this nitpicking, the OP stated he was new to macro he is not as far as I can tell a "demanding macro photographer"? Seems to me the newer smc PENTAX-D FA Macro 100mm F2.8 WR is a very good lens for what he needs. plus it can be used for a short telephoto also.
it may not matter to the OP but if budget is a concern and there are acceptable cheaper options, it could help to give the information
08-10-2019, 09:50 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
it may not matter to the OP but if budget is a concern and there are acceptable cheaper options, it could help to give the information
Thanks Allen,

My point was that the OP was not into all the esoterics of macro but he possibly wanted an easy entry into this facet of photography.

08-10-2019, 10:05 AM   #23
Unregistered User

I suggest you look over the pictures posted in the following three threads, and see what kind of results come from which lenses (you can generally get what kind of lens was used by looking at the EXIF data if it's there, or click on the picture to go to whatever website the picture was originally posted on and check the data there).

Pentax-D FA 100mm f/2.8 WR Macro - PentaxForums.com

Show me your insects - PentaxForums.com

The Macro Flower Club - PentaxForums.com
08-10-2019, 11:48 AM   #24
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Thanks Allen,

My point was that the OP was not into all the esoterics of macro but he possibly wanted an easy entry into this facet of photography.
Good point
08-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
At the moment I’m seeing an F 100mm 2.8 on sale for under 200
I recently bought this lens, and am thrilled with it. It is my sharpest lens, sharper than my M50 f1.7, which is also a great lens. Check out this image:
IMGP5694 PFcrop - Apet-Sure's Album: Nature-K5IIs - PentaxForums.com

The image actually degraded a little during the upload process. The original on my computer is a bit sharper and more 3D. If you found a good copy of this lens, I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the IQ.

The AF does hunt a little at times on my K-5IIs, but this may be due to my technique or camera settings. In macro shooting, you'll be using manual focus a lot anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Only the FA and D FA versions have a lens hood.
The front objective lens element is recessed deep in the lens body, so a lens hood is not required.
08-10-2019, 01:09 PM   #26
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

there's also the lens that became the FA100/3.5 Macro - this is a Cosina-designed/built lens that did not last long as a Pentax-branded lens, but is entirely capable of producing macro shots that hold up well against the f2.8 lens....
08-10-2019, 05:11 PM   #27
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
With these criteria, the Tamron 90 (in its various iterations), Sigma 90 and Sigma 105 should also be in consideration. I've not owned any of these (I've got the DFA 100 WR, which is a gem), but each is highly rated and often well-priced:
Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.5 Macro 1:2 (52EP) Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database - note that this model only does 1:2 macro
Tamron SP MF 90mm F2.8 MACRO 1:1 (72B) Lens Reviews - Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database - MF lens, but that's OK for a macro
Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Macro 1:1 (# 172E / 272E ) Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Tamron SP AF 90mm F2.8 Di Macro Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database (see also this in-depth comparison with the DFA 100 WR: Tamron 90mm Macro vs Pentax 100mm WR: Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews)
Sigma 90mm F2.8 Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX and EX DG Macros Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
08-10-2019, 06:03 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

I have four macros that are near enough to those in Des' list and all are really good macros that test my capabilities rather than the qualities of the lenses. All are very sharp and easy to handle:
Tamron's original 90mm f2.5 that I was given in about 1982. It's manual focus and 1:2 magnification with 49mm thread
Tamron 90mm (52BB), an update of the above with a bigger front at 55mm and came with a Tamron matched extension tube
Sigma 50mm f2.8 EX Macro, autofocus, the limiter stops it hunting in normal use. Very short working distance for macro work. Also a 55mm thread.
Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX DG, autofocus, also with a limiter and the 105mm makes a very useful normal tele. Its a bit fiddly to work between MF and AF. 58mm thread and quite heavy as are all Sigma EX DG lenses.

Any of these cheap in the market would be a good start into macro. I think I get best images from the Sigma 100mm, but the Tamron 52BB is the easiest to use.

I do not do very much real macro work so any of these is great, and I actually prefer manual focus to get sharp closeups so the old Tamrons are fine.

Another really cheap and easy option to get into macro is the PKA mount macro-teleconverter type that turns a normal 50 mm lens into a 100mm macro. I have one that is fun to use, branded KAX . It has multi-element internal optics and gives much better results than the cheap closeup filters, mainly better edges. 2x Macro Focusing Teleconverter: Vivitar, KAX, Telemore...et al Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
08-10-2019, 08:59 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I have a D FA100 F 2.8 WR that I've had for about 8 months and I use quite a bit with my K1. I use it as a portrait lens, also a many purpose general lens. I've been quite pleased with it.

I also have a FA 50 F 2.8 Macro and a 50 M 50 Macro F 4. I like the two 50's. Had the 50 F 4 for many years now...still works very well, manual focusing of course.

I generally use the 100 macro due to it's greater focal length, mostly I think. Easier to get close to subjects such as bees and so forth.
08-11-2019, 07:27 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
At the moment I’m seeing an F 100mm 2.8 on sale for under 200, which is much cheaper than a new DFA, so I’m targeting it. .
If it's in good shape, this sounds like a decent deal. I'd just go with this. Use it for 5 or 6 months and you'll have a better idea if any of the other options would suit you better. If so, sell it and move on.

Unless you have some specific requirements you know about in advance (ie. you need an aperture ring, or weather sealing or ???) I find it hard to imagine how someone new to macro wouldn't be well served by any of the 100mm Pentax 1:1 macro options (or the Tamron/Sigma options).