Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2019, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA 55-300 is sometimes close to your budget, one recently was listed for $120 in the marketplace. The DA-L version is similar but the lack of a hood and quickshift is annoying. The F 70-210 is ok but in my copies of these two lenses it exhibits more purple fringing.

08-12-2019, 03:47 PM - 1 Like   #17
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The DA 55-300 is sometimes close to your budget, one recently was listed for $120 in the marketplace. The DA-L version is similar but the lack of a hood and quickshift is annoying.
An aftermarket hood for the DA-L costs around $2, so I wouldn't be too fussed about that. I agree that QS is certainly a feature worth paying a bit more for, if the budget will go that far. (There's also the factor that the DA-L has a plastic mount whereas the DA has a metal one, which is likely to be more durable.)

But to put that in perspective, none of the F or FA telephoto zooms and none of the third party telephoto zooms has QS. The absence of QS is one reason why the Sigma, the Tamron and the DA-L are all cheaper than the DA 55-300.

A workaround for the absence of QS is to press the lens release button and focus manually. Not ideal, but many people use this technique.

Last edited by Des; 08-12-2019 at 05:58 PM.
08-12-2019, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
An aftermarket hood for the DA-L costs around $2, so I wouldn't be too fussed about that. I agree that QS is certainly a feature worth paying a bit more for, if the budget will go that far. (There's also the factor that the DA-L has a plastic mount whereas the DA has a metal one, which is likely to be more durable.)

But to put that in perspective, none of the F or FA telephoto zooms and none of the third party telephoto zooms has QS. The absence of QS is one reason why the Sigma, the Tamron and the DA-L are all cheaper than the DA 55-300.

A workaround for the absence of QS is to press the lens release button and focus manually. Not ideal, but many people use this technique.
I actually purchased Pentax-F 35-70 and - F 70-210 for a whopping 75.00 for the pair.

I wasn't looking for anything spectacular. I just wanted something that could produce keeper images on the cheap. These lenses will be used sparingly. I rarely shoot with zoom lenses.
08-13-2019, 05:32 AM - 1 Like   #19
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
I actually purchased Pentax-F 35-70 and - F 70-210 for a whopping 75.00 for the pair.
I wasn't looking for anything spectacular. I just wanted something that could produce keeper images on the cheap. These lenses will be used sparingly. I rarely shoot with zoom lenses.
Sounds like a recipe for cheap fun. Enjoy them.

08-13-2019, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote

Sounds like you got a couple good lenses for a song. Well done.
08-13-2019, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Late to the show, but I would have suggested a generation one 17-70 Sigma for the "short end" - love mine = cheap and very sharp, if a little on the larger size.
08-17-2019, 09:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
My suggestion for the Tamron is Pentax F 70-210mm f4.0-5.6
I second this... My pa has one, not a bad lens for the coin. Seriously punches well above it’s weight.

08-17-2019, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

The main advantage of the 35-70 in my eyes is the extremely fast and accurate autofocus. Which kinda messes with my mind since it isn't exactly a bright aperture lens.

Simply a great walkaround lens you don't have to worry about too much.