Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2019, 06:38 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The thin/late.

It’s the reason I don’t have the FA...

I really like it. If I only take one lens on a wander with my H1a, it’s usually that one or the 28. The 50mm f1.4 is third place...

-Eric

08-12-2019, 06:49 AM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
the S-T 105/2.8 is a gorgeous lens....
I know mate! Will go for the wide angle first and then I'll put my hands on it!

---------- Post added 08-12-19 at 06:54 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
If you go 28mm, you could have a dual genre lens on your hands...

Whilst I know you said you don't... you could have a crack at "street" photography, as IMHO it's the ideal focal length for such things.
Thanks mate! I wanted to get the 35 because of the purpose of having an all around lens to take everywhere and as a safe choice in case I could take one lens only. It's great for travel photography, but sometimes I feel it too narrow for landscapes. If the 28 performs great I think I'll go for it!
08-12-2019, 07:40 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivandimarco Quote
I know mate! Will go for the wide angle first and then I'll put my hands on it!

---------- Post added 08-12-19 at 06:54 AM ----------

Thanks mate! I wanted to get the 35 because of the purpose of having an all around lens to take everywhere and as a safe choice in case I could take one lens only. It's great for travel photography, but sometimes I feel it too narrow for landscapes. If the 28 performs great I think I'll go for it!
28 is much wider than 35 and less general purpose. I like the suggestion to get a 35 and 24, but spending other people's money is easy! Given the prices you may want to get both lenses (28 and 35 f3.5) and try them and then sell the one you don't want. The 24 looks more expensive than both the 35 and 28 together! I personally like both lenses and focal lengths myself.
08-12-2019, 07:59 AM   #19

Original Poster
The 24 might be a fascinating option for many photographers out there, but personally I don't like the focal length. Don't know why, but even when I was shooting digital with the 24-70 I never really use it at 24. I believe it's the way I approach the subject, trying not to go too wide. Let's say 28 is the widest I'll go in my landscape images! I appreciate the suggestion though!
For what I understood, both lenses are great. The 28 is often cheaper than the 35 online, so I believe I'll go for it!

08-12-2019, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 24 might be a fascinating option for many photographers out there, but personally I don't like the focal length. Don't know why, but even when I was shooting digital with the 24-70 I never really use it at 24. I believe it's the way I approach the subject, trying not to go too wide. Let's say 28 is the widest I'll go in my landscape images! I appreciate the suggestion though!
For what I understood, both lenses are great. The 28 is often cheaper than the 35 online, so I believe I'll go for it!
Seems like a plan. My dad also preferred 28 to 24. I'm the reverse, although 28 isn't disliked by me.
08-12-2019, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #21
Forum Member

Sounds like you've decided, but it may not be too late for me to add a short two cents. I have both the 28 and 35 (several versions of both) and have found the 35mm to be the better lens overall. Image quality is similar for both, but the 35 is SO much smaller and lighter. You did say you were going for a lightweight kit, right? There are very few circumstances where it will really matter between either lens in terms of field of view, but the 28 is a much larger/heavier lens.
08-12-2019, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Driftwood Quote
Sounds like you've decided, but it may not be too late for me to add a short two cents. I have both the 28 and 35 (several versions of both) and have found the 35mm to be the better lens overall. Image quality is similar for both, but the 35 is SO much smaller and lighter. You did say you were going for a lightweight kit, right? There are very few circumstances where it will really matter between either lens in terms of field of view, but the 28 is a much larger/heavier lens.
That's a great piece of advice! Thanks for it. I'll take the Spotmatic only when I'm not able to take the Pentax 6x7 with me and I'm trying to keep the weight as low as possible in these cases. The 55 isn't that big and if the 35 is even smaller I do really have a chance to take 2 lenses with me on a trip overseas or during long hikes!
Thanks again

08-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Be aware that there are several versions of the 28/3.5, two with 58mm filter threads and two with 49mm threads: S-M-C/Super Takumar 28mm F3.5 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Wide-Angle Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I have a Super-Takumar 58mm thread version, it suffers from some flare/blooming but I love the look it produces. I also have a 49mm version which is suffering from some haze/fungus (so I haven't used it). I also like the 35/3.5 (I have two copies), like others have suggested, you're probably going to end up with both at some point. With a Spotmatic F you'll get open-aperture metering if you go for the S-M-C version, if that's important.
08-12-2019, 10:07 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
Be aware that there are several versions of the 28/3.5, two with 58mm filter threads and two with 49mm threads: S-M-C/Super Takumar 28mm F3.5 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Wide-Angle Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I have a Super-Takumar 58mm thread version, it suffers from some flare/blooming but I love the look it produces. I also have a 49mm version which is suffering from some haze/fungus (so I haven't used it). I also like the 35/3.5 (I have two copies), like others have suggested, you're probably going to end up with both at some point. With a Spotmatic F you'll get open-aperture metering if you go for the S-M-C version, if that's important.
I see. Thanks, I didn't know the difference!
08-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The thin late 35mm f/2 is a better lens in my experience.
08-12-2019, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
The thin late 35mm f/2 is a better lens in my experience.
It’s a trade of speed for size... the f3.5 is about 40% lighter than the f2.0 as well as being shorter...

That I gave my f3.5 to my father and kept the f2.0 says something

-Eric