Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
08-13-2019, 02:08 AM - 1 Like   #16
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Photobill Quote
Thanks Tas
I had thought of going out with the 70ltd this weekend and playing around with it. Not shooting anything life shattering but a basic landscape and do a stitch, have it blown up to 20x30 & take a look. What software do you like for stitching?

---------- Post added 08-13-19 at 12:45 AM ----------

I would say after spending today researching the DA 35 Macro ltd has moved to the front of my list. I just love the size & feel of the ltd's (the 35 ltd is a little larger but I'm thinking it is because of being a macro)
Am I correct in my thinking the NON HD version has square blades (this is what I desire as I like star burst)
And no ltd is WR? If the latter is true COMMON PENTAX GIVE US ONE LTD TO SHOOT IN BAD WEATHER!!!!
Thanks everyone!!! And I'd still like to hear your thoughts on the subject.
I don't know what a basic landscape is, probably because I'm a big fan of telephoto landscapes: Post your Telephoto Landscapes! - PentaxForums.com

Software can be a loaded question, I'd recommend you check out this part of the forum: Digital Processing, Software, and Printing - PentaxForums.com as there's plenty of discussion on the topic there.

What do I use? I use On1 PhotoRAW, it does basic stitching but it's not really what that program is about. I bought a Gigapan years ago and still use that software as it does multi-layers pretty good. It's getting long in the tooth now and if I get back into panos more regularly then I will look at PTGUI as it's been one of the best out there for years. It's not free, so it's one for the future for me.

I've used Adobe in the past, I didn't opt into CC so I no longer use that. I've used Hugin previously, it's freeware and like the Gimp punches above it's weight especially considering it's free to download.

There's several other options that I've not tried however one you might see reference to is Kolor / Autopano Pro, AutoPano Giga. These are no longer available but some 'reviews' still recommend them for some reason.

Good luck with the panos mate.

Tas

08-13-2019, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The FA31 for stitching. Nicer images than the 35 macro. Better colors, sharper.
08-13-2019, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Tas
I had thought of going out with the 70ltd this weekend and playing around with it. Not shooting anything life shattering but a basic landscape and do a stitch, have it blown up to 20x30 & take a look. What software do you like for stitching?

---------- Post added 08-13-19 at 12:45 AM ----------

I would say after spending today researching the DA 35 Macro ltd has moved to the front of my list. I just love the size & feel of the ltd's (the 35 ltd is a little larger but I'm thinking it is because of being a macro)
Am I correct in my thinking the NON HD version has square blades (this is what I desire as I like star burst)
And no ltd is WR? If the latter is true COMMON PENTAX GIVE US ONE LTD TO SHOOT IN BAD WEATHER!!!!
Thanks everyone!!! And I'd still like to hear your thoughts on the subject.

The DA 20-40 is the only limited that is WR and it has silent focusing. But from what I recall the 40mm end edge performance suffers from some field curvature.
08-13-2019, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would agree about using a macro such as the DA35. On a K1 you might also consider an old 50mm f2.8A. As others have noted: macros generally have excellent IQ with minimal edge falloff and distortion, properties valuable when stitching. Autofocus should probably be turned off when taking multiple images for a stitch, and you should probably use manual exposure as well so there is no variation frame-to-frame. BEWARE OF POLARIZING FILTERS. Better not to use them for collecting images for a stitch as their effect can be dramatically different as you rotate the camera, producing a very unnatural-looking sky in the stitch that will be impossible to correct in PP.

08-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
The FA31 for stitching. Nicer images than the 35 macro. Better colors, sharper.
How's the distortion with the FA31?

---------- Post added 08-13-19 at 10:10 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I would agree about using a macro such as the DA35. On a K1 you might also consider an old 50mm f2.8A. As others have noted: macros generally have excellent IQ with minimal edge falloff and distortion, properties valuable when stitching. Autofocus should probably be turned off when taking multiple images for a stitch, and you should probably use manual exposure as well so there is no variation frame-to-frame. BEWARE OF POLARIZING FILTERS. Better not to use them for collecting images for a stitch as their effect can be dramatically different as you rotate the camera, producing a very unnatural-looking sky in the stitch that will be impossible to correct in PP.
Yes when shooting on a tripod I'm always FULL manual!!! (No AWB as well) I have found it keeps frame to frame consistent. I have not done any focus stacking but plan on working on that very soon. If the sky is included I NEVER use a CP. (I learned that years ago) but I have had great results with it when there is water involved reflection/glare off of lakes, puddles wet trees etc.

---------- Post added 08-13-19 at 10:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The DA 20-40 is the only limited that is WR and it has silent focusing. But from what I recall the 40mm end edge performance suffers from some field curvature.
Thanks great to know about WR on the 20-40 might need rent that one to test. I love my Sigma 18-35 Art but hate using it when there is moisture in the air (rain/mist) and it doesn't fit the bill for a light weight camera bag. How is the DA 20-40ltd for up close macro shooting?
Thanks for your input!!!
08-13-2019, 04:14 PM - 5 Likes   #21
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
First choice would be a macro lens. Here's the DFA 100 WR

And here's the FA 50 f2.8 macro (please overlook the visible joins!)

The humble DA 35 f2.4 is a good budget option because of its corner-to-corner resolution.

The FA 77 Ltd is good too. Somehow it retains some of the 3D pop.
08-13-2019, 05:02 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How's the distortion with the FA31?
Extremely low. Negligible. Exceptionally so for a full frame wide angle lens, and even less of an issue on a crop camera.

QuoteQuote:
Thanks great to know about WR on the 20-40 might need rent that one to test. I love my Sigma 18-35 Art but hate using it when there is moisture in the air (rain/mist) and it doesn't fit the bill for a light weight camera bag. How is the DA 20-40ltd for up close macro shooting?
Thanks for your input!!!
If you want to get really close you need the 35. If you want a WR macro there's the DFA100.
If you want a weather resistant lens for stitching, I go back to my earlier recommendation of the DA* 55/1.4 - its resolving power is outstanding, colours and micro-contrast are exceptional and distortion is (again) a non-issue.

DA* 55 panorama. Follow the link to Flickr and download the full size file if you're interested.

08-13-2019, 07:00 PM - 3 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Extremely low. Negligible. Exceptionally so for a full frame wide angle lens, and even less of an issue on a crop camera.

If you want to get really close you need the 35. If you want a WR macro there's the DFA100.
If you want a weather resistant lens for stitching, I go back to my earlier recommendation of the DA* 55/1.4 - its resolving power is outstanding, colours and micro-contrast are exceptional and distortion is (again) a non-issue.

DA* 55 panorama. Follow the link to Flickr and download the full size file if you're interested.

As always, Dr. Hancock nails it. I'm not an enormous fan of stitching 55mm shots on crop sensor, but i've stitched the 43 and liked it. If I'm going to stitch, I prefer to start a bit wider and use fewer frames.

As far as distortion, I think that's not much of an issue. I always use the lightroom profile to fix distortion ahead of time, and it always works pretty well. I actually stitch the 16-50, 18-135 and 16-85 all fairly frequently and they turn out fine. Don't over think it; stitch what you have!

Here is some of my stitch work. Full res files on my flickr

The "lowly" 18-135 (works pretty well!)

16-85 @35

16-50

DA15 Ltd

FA31

The old DA40 Ltd. stitches well:

And my largest, favorite stitch of all time, with the FA43; the original is almost 39,000 pixels wide.

08-13-2019, 11:25 PM - 1 Like   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
First choice would be a macro lens. Here's the DFA 100 WR

And here's the FA 50 f2.8 macro (please overlook the visible joins!)

The humble DA 35 f2.4 is a good budget option because of its corner-to-corner resolution.

The FA 77 Ltd is good too. Somehow it retains some of the 3D pop.
WOW thanks Des!!
Absolutely love your pan with the FA 77ltd would be nice to compare it with the 70ltd side by side

---------- Post added 08-13-19 at 11:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The DA* 55 does check a lot of boxes Distortion, IQ, WS and throw in f:1.4
I would think it makes a great portrait lens as well.

---------- Post added 08-14-19 at 12:09 AM ----------

I'm not an enormous fan of stitching 55mm shots on crop sensor
I am also concerned with the larger volume of photos that would need to be stitched with use of a 55mm lens

and my largest, favorite stitch of all time, with the FA43; the original is almost 39,000 pixels wide.
AWESOME was this shot with an aps-c body. By using the FA43 and using more frames the resolution is outstanding. This technique would result in an image approaching a medium format photo👌
08-14-2019, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Honestly a few considerations are missed in the lens recommendations here albeit all of them are still valid and usable. Even a cell phone camera does stitch a pano. So I will provide my 2 cents here.
If you are planning to stitch why complain about the number of shots (4 vs 16.). The reason I say this is to go telephoto (A DA70 or a even a DA 135) and take more shots to do the landscape (16 vs 4). Tele photos will give you a more square/flatter image than a wider angle would. Also each frame will have more detail since you get closer to the subject matter. Of course you need more frames but then your stitching any way.

My 35 macro recommendation would be for subjects that could use macro capabilities for the sake of resolution. (Think a beer bottle picture stitched vertically with landscape frames).

In my opinion the no of frames should not be a limiting or a deciding factor as in you should not use a wide angle because you could do the stitch with less frames. Wide angle has its own set of inherent issues which do not work in stitching at times (The corners look stretched out and when stitched it does not look very natural).

A 35 for a table top subject for high resolution and a 70 or 100 of a 50-135 for landscape stitch would help capture much more resolution per frame.
08-14-2019, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Best LTD Prime Lens To Stitch

For APS-C, I would think the 35/2.8 LTD would be the way to go, if you want higher resolution, the the DA* 50/1.4 or the70/2.4 LTD would be my choice.
08-14-2019, 09:03 PM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
If you are planning to stitch why complain about the number of shots (4 vs 16.).
Thanks for your insight!!
The resolution would be out of this world with a 20 image piano!! I would be worried about the inherent file size problem. I am a little from the old school and spend my photography money on glass and updating my camera every few years. I do not have the newest & fastest computer on the market. I would be afraid of the processing time. Not that I would do them all the time but it would be a concern. I would also be worried of the time it takes to capture 20 photos over 6/7 photos. As I'm sure everyone that shoots pano's and includes the sky knows, things happen fast with clouds & colors. How many times have you shot a sunset (with no intention of stitching) and had one photo that was night and day above all others even though they were all shot moments apart.
Not that these two concerns would be a deal breaker but things that I would think about.

---------- Post added 08-14-19 at 09:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by shardulm Quote
Wide angle has its own set of inherent issues which do not work in stitching at times (The corners look stretched out and when stitched it does not look very natural).
I COULD NOT AGREE MORE!!!! This would be my #1or 2 concerns. (IQ would be the other) Yes software can do some correction but I think you should not always count on it!!

---------- Post added 08-14-19 at 09:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Best LTD Prime Lens To Stitch
If you want higher resolution, the the DA* 50/1.4 or the70/2.4 LTD would be my choice.
👍👌
I'm going to go out with my 70/2.4 ltd this weekend and do some testing. (IQ and file size for landscape pano's)
I will also be taking a SMC Pentax 55mm F1.8 for comparison.

Last edited by Photobill; 08-14-2019 at 09:25 PM.