Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Days Ago   #1

Best LTD Prime Lens To Stitch

I was out shooting landscapes yesterday with an off brand camera (Canon 6D) and was thinking the the size of the Pentax cameras are awesome to carry around. So today I started looking at "PRIME" lens's to make a nice light travel/hiking bag. I have the *ist D, K20D & the K3II and a 70ltd (as well as many other lenses) I love the size & image quality of the 70ltd and that got me thinking "wouldn't it be nice to pick up a couple more ltd's for this bag. Boy it would be light!!!" After reviewing the 15ltd & 21ltd I'm very concerned with image quality primarily on the edges. The 35ltd has much better reviews on overall sharpness. My question to you is......If you had to pick a "PRIME" ltd lens to be used on a aps-c camera to be stitched, what would you pick????
PS: I regularly print 20x30. I do pixel peek so sharpness is very important to me
Lens speed is not an issue as I will be using a tripod and shooting at the lenses best f: for optical performance.
Looking toward to your thoughts
Photobill

6 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #2

35 is the sharpest of the DA Limited lenses in my experience. So if that focal length works for you I'd say go for it.

---------- Post added 08-12-2019 at 02:15 PM ----------

BTW here's a recent landscape I shot with the 35. The shot is somewhat cropped.

6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

If edge to edge sharpness is critical, then the DA35/2.8 would probably fit the bill. The only downside is the field of view may be a bit narrow for some landscapes,
but if you're stitching shots then perhaps not.

QuoteOriginally posted by Photobill Quote
off brand camera (Canon 6D)
That gave me a good laugh.
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You already received great advice and I understand that you like 35mm focal length.

I shoot APS-C cameras (K-7, K-01, K-3) and my best landscape lens is the DA15mm Ltd. However for stiching, I prefer to use a fast 50 mm (my favourite is the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4) I can very very strongly recommend it: superb IQ, sturdy, metallic, and the MF is perfect for great stiching.(I found that AF can sometimes change things slightly between shots, making the stiching difficult/tricky.)

My 5 cents, hoping that it may help.

6 Days Ago - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The general view so far is to go with the DA35/2.8 Ltd Macro, and I couldnít disagree with that, for APS-C. I even use mine on my K-1, in spite of its limitations (which I can mostly work around). Having the macro capability only adds to its virtues.

Iíve shown this shot a couple of times already, here, but even without stitching, itís a very capable landscape lens (seascape in this case):
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My prefrences for stitching are a good 50mm lens or the DA 35 Macro being my first choice.
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Excellent edge performance is a characteristic more common with macro lens designs, which I believe the DA 35mm f/2.8 Limited lens is. Also, 35mm is a "normal" focal length for APS-C which is more suitable for stitching than lenses having any wide angle FOV. Along with the superb Limited build quality, I think this lens would be a first-rate choice.

If needing a faster aperture, you might also consider the FA 35mm f/2 which has been shown having very fine edge performance and is originally designed for full-frame use as well. It is also now available in an updated form with the newer HD coatings for reduced flare for yet better contrast and more clarity.
6 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #8

My favorite lens for stitching is the DA 21. Here is a panorama using the DA 21 (non-HD) using my K-5. It has been scaled down for upload, but I think you can see the level of detail in the trees is pretty good in my opinion. I do overlap the images 25-30%--this one consists of 12 shots in portrait orientation.

Attached Images

6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That flat field of focus and edge to edge sharpness of the DA35 Macro will help your panos, Photobill, because the right of one image is superimposed with the left of another to get part of the picture that gets a lot of scrutiny, well within the frame.
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #10
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DA70 that you already have is my recommendation. Stitching at focal lengths between 50-100mm is usually my preference and for me this is where you capture lots of detail and stitch for the wide field of view. Shooting in portrait orientation and using software that can stitch multiple layers is important to make it work properly though. If that's a problem then the wider focal lengths might suit you if you prefer to stitch single layers only.

Tas
6 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The best stitches I have done have been with the FA31 and the DA*55. I imagine the DA35 would also fare well, as would the DA40, as they are in the same bracket of focal length, sharpness and distortion correction.
6 Days Ago   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
I prefer to use a fast 50 mm (my favourite is the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4) I can very very strongly recommend it: superb IQ, sturdy, metallic, and the MF is perfect
I think your dead on about the IQ with the Voigtlander I took a look at photos on flickr and at f4 & up WOW!!
Thanks for the advice.
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Best LTD Prime Lens To Stitch?
The DA 35 Macro ltd. I had it, the lens I liked the most, and the only reason I sold it is because it didn't cover the FF image circle.
6 Days Ago   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
The DA70 that you already have is my recommendation. Stitching at focal lengths between 50-100mm is usually my preference and for me this is where you capture lots of detail and stitch for the wide field of view. Shooting in portrait orientation and using software that can stitch multiple layers is important to make it work properly though. If that's a problem then the wider focal lengths might suit you if you prefer to stitch single layers only.
Tas
Thanks Tas
I had thought of going out with the 70ltd this weekend and playing around with it. Not shooting anything life shattering but a basic landscape and do a stitch, have it blown up to 20x30 & take a look. What software do you like for stitching?

---------- Post added 08-13-19 at 12:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The DA 35 Macro ltd. I had it, the lens I liked the most, and the only reason I sold it is because it didn't cover the FF image circle.
I would say after spending today researching the DA 35 Macro ltd has moved to the front of my list. I just love the size & feel of the ltd's (the 35 ltd is a little larger but I'm thinking it is because of being a macro)
Am I correct in my thinking the NON HD version has square blades (this is what I desire as I like star burst)
And no ltd is WR? If the latter is true COMMON PENTAX GIVE US ONE LTD TO SHOOT IN BAD WEATHER!!!!
Thanks everyone!!! And I'd still like to hear your thoughts on the subject.
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Am I correct in my thinking the NON HD version has square blades (this is what I desire as I like star burst)
I only had the HD version, and it was great, it had rounded blades, I would never have used it for star bursts with the 35 macro as I think star bursts worked better with the 21 ltd and 15 ltd.