Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
6 Days Ago - 3 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SMC-Pentax 400mm 5.6 ...E-Bay Score !

The other day I was roaming around on E-Bay and found a SMC-K 400mm 5.6 lens that nobody had bit on. Opening minimum bid was $49.95.....I bid $50 and WON it !
The seller had 5000+ sales , but didn't list it very good......my advantage …..Poor feller....lol
Just received it today and it was filthy from a severely deteriorated case.....foam dust everywhere including the rear element because it didn't have the rear cap on.
One hour later after a near full dissasembly it all cleaned up nicely and is good to go. The nice bonus is the internal baffle hasn't yet come unglued so its 100% original. I didn't have to Mod the rear baffle because of this , but may anyway as Im using it on Apsc.
SMC Pentax 5058763 Zoom lens Asahi Japan 1:5.6/400 400mm Case Caps | eBay

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 6 Days Ago at 03:36 PM.
6 Days Ago - 2 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
.I bid $50 and WON it !
Well done. I have the M version of this lens. Slapping the camera on it really means you are up for some serious photography.

I find it best to consign the old lens cases to the bin. The disintegrating foam is one thing, the fungus that may be lurking behind it is another.
6 Days Ago   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Well done. I have the M version of this lens. Slapping the camera on it really means you are up for some serious photography.

I find it best to consign the old lens cases to the bin. The disintegrating foam is one thing, the fungus that may be lurking behind it is another.
Its one of my favorites. Kinda by accident I got my first one in a trade for a $25 brass tumbler.
I was thinking of ditching the Case......its in bad shape. Reeks of old leather , deteriorated chemicals , and mildew.
Somehow I have now acquired 3 of these for about $100 total.
6 Days Ago - 3 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Reeks of old leather , deteriorated chemicals , and mildew
Yep chuck it. Get the lens a more modern home........

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
6 Days Ago   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Yep chuck it. Get the lens a more modern home........
Hmmmm…..I was just Glueing and cleaning.....Then You showed me this...… Nice !

Thinking....Thinking....Thinking...

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 6 Days Ago at 09:29 PM.
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The other day I was roaming around on E-Bay and found a SMC-K 400mm 5.6 lens that nobody had bit on. Opening minimum bid was $49.95.....I bid $50 and WON it !
The seller had 5000+ sales , but didn't list it very good......my advantage …..Poor feller....lol
Just received it today and it was filthy from a severely deteriorated case.....foam dust everywhere including the rear element because it didn't have the rear cap on.
One hour later after a near full dissasembly it all cleaned up nicely and is good to go. The nice bonus is the internal baffle hasn't yet come unglued so its 100% original. I didn't have to Mod the rear baffle because of this , but may anyway as Im using it on Apsc.
SMC Pentax 5058763 Zoom lens Asahi Japan 1:5.6/400 400mm Case Caps | eBay
Congratulations!
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Somehow I have now acquired 3 of these for about $100 total.
Hey, not fair. Leave some for the rest of us.
6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #8
AoCo
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I looked at that offer and actually thought about bidding but I already have one I bought here.

6 Days Ago - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I looked at that offer and actually thought about bidding but I already have one I bought here.
I have a nice one already too , and an Old Beat Dog of one that's so Ugly its embarassing.
I bid simply because I needed the tripod collar. Ended up being a nice lens after cleaning it up.
Made two tripod collars for my old ones , but now have the original !
Here is my two best now.
I feel very Blessed tonight.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo 

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 6 Days Ago at 10:14 PM.
5 Days Ago - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So I recently won a SMC-A 400mm f5.6 (and paid quite a bit more than $50...)

It was full of what was happily case foam, but seems to have good glass otherwise.

It does have a tripod ring that won’t tighten, though... is there a trick to it? Or is there a way to get it off for repair?

-Eric
5 Days Ago   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
So I recently won a SMC-A 400mm f5.6 (and paid quite a bit more than $50...)

It was full of what was happily case foam, but seems to have good glass otherwise.

It does have a tripod ring that won’t tighten, though... is there a trick to it? Or is there a way to get it off for repair?

-Eric
Thankfully these are very easy lenses to work on. Follow these instructions below to remove and clean the tripod Mount.....super easy.

First.....get some decent Philips screwdrivers from Harbor freight or elsewhere and remove the 5 screws holding the mount on and take it off.....yes....just wiggle it up and pull it right off.

Second......Remove the three longer screws holding whats left of the lower mount and pull it right off.....now there may/may not be some very thin shims stuck to the back of this , or somewhere between this part and the barrel.....pull those off too.

Third.....Now you can loosen the tripod collar/ mount and pull it off. Mine was stuck like superglue and needed a couple light whacks with a rubber mallet , then it came off and I could clean all the crud binding it up.

This allows you easier access also to clean the rear element , just be careful of the thin baffle (if its even still there) or you could break it loose and then be forced to pull it out with needle-nose pliers and mount it at the rear of the lens (If you don't have the rear rectangular Baffle) or just toss it.....there is NO re-gluing it in place......its Impossible due to the internal geometry of the lens.

When you re-assemble it its also super easy...…..align the red dot on the lower part of the mount with the center scale of the lens, Then when You install the last 5 screws the mount only goes on one way because there is a little tab that its fits around. Once You do it you will like working on this lens.
Also the cleaning of the front element (rear side) is super easy......just unscrew the large front barrel from the rest of the lens.....now you have access to 2 more elements.

When you say yours wont tighten ? Is it stripped and just turns and turns ? Does the knob bottom out and its still loose ? Make sure there is a nice thick washer between the threaded knob and the actual Mount....if its missing it might not tighten enough.

Hope this Helps....feel free to PM me if you run into issues

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 5 Days Ago at 10:18 PM.
5 Days Ago   #12
Pentaxian

I have the A version, bought new in 1987. I had to trade in a Hasselblad 500C with 120mm lens to make up the funds. No regrets. It turned out to be a lot more useful than the Hasselblad.
5 Days Ago   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I have the A version, bought new in 1987. I had to trade in a Hasselblad 500C with 120mm lens to make up the funds. No regrets. It turned out to be a lot more useful than the Hasselblad.
Yes the A version is on my Radar for purchase. I plan on doing some extensive testing and then decide what too sell and what to keep.
3 Days Ago - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hows this for a new Case !

I decided to get a proper Home for these two.
Harbor Freight had a special for Inside Track Club members with an additional 20% off of sale price for one day at my local store.
I got this Apache hard case for $22....!
Also machined a rear Baffle (Round Disc) that is easily removeable for Apsc.or M43. Through some experimentation this has helped significantly with errant light entering the smaller sensor size and lessens PF and washed out colors when shooting in bright daylight/backlit scenes.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G3  Photo