Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2019, 03:25 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Three cameras

Itís about the lenses, itís about the form factor, itís about the usability.

Call it what you will, streamlining or downsizing, but a few months ago I decided to rationalise my camera collection from a random assortment of makes to just one brand and I did this by standardising on Ricoh/Pentax in the shape of a GRIII, KP and K1-II. In each case the lenses determined the camera choice; not the file type or resolution. To illustrate this point; the 15-30 was a focal length zoom I wanted but it would look ridiculous and would be unwieldy on a KP and the same for the 50/1.4.

So the choice came to this:

The GRIII when you really cannot carry anything bigger
The KP with 33 and 77mm as a general carry around
The K1-II with a 50mm/1.4 and a 15-30 zoom, for portraits and landscapes.

Iíve used each of these fairly extensively on a recent trip for work (and a little play) to Singapore and New Zealand.

For my purposes, the resultant file type and resolution from each camera is more than good enough and below are some examples.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
RICOH GR III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
RICOH GR III  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
RICOH GR III  Photo 
08-15-2019, 03:27 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer / mod
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vdubois Quote

33mm???
08-15-2019, 04:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
33mm???
The Exif states Smc PENTAX-FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited
08-15-2019, 04:15 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

It’s about the lenses, it’s about the form factor, it’s about the usability. . . .To illustrate this point; the 15-30 was a focal length zoom I wanted but it would look ridiculous and would be unwieldy on a KP and the same for the 50/1.4. . . .
ok, I can buy this: " unwieldy "

but am confused on this: " look ridiculous "

but opinions vary

08-15-2019, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

So the choice came to this:

The GRIII makes a lot of sense (especially looking at the very good examples you've included).
I'm not sure I understand why you need/want the KP. To me using the 31 and 77 limited with the K1 would be the way to go. I mean, these lenses were designed for FF.
But of course you should select what makes sense for you ... not for me
08-15-2019, 04:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
33mm???
Sorry, fat fingers, 31mm

---------- Post added 08-15-19 at 04:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
ok, I can buy this: " unwieldy "

but am confused on this: " look ridiculous "

but opinions vary
Poor word, but a lens this size overpowers the KP and the balance just doesn't feel right

---------- Post added 08-15-19 at 04:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by volley Quote
The GRIII makes a lot of sense (especially looking at the very good examples you've included).
I'm not sure I understand why you need/want the KP. To me using the 31 and 77 limited with the K1 would be the way to go. I mean, these lenses were designed for FF.
But of course you should select what makes sense for you ... not for me
I bought the KP first with the 31 and 77. This makes for a lovely small discreet package so has become the system I use most. The K1 came later, specifically to match the 50/1.4 and 15-30, both big and heavy lenses
08-15-2019, 04:27 AM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . Poor word, but a lens this size overpowers the KP and the balance just doesn't feel right . . .
no problem

judging on my experience personal choices and differing opinions are always welcomed here at the forums
08-15-2019, 05:09 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the 15-30 was a focal length zoom I wanted but it would look ridiculous and would be unwieldy on a KP
Agreed. As with the D-FA* 70-200/2.8 (and anything larger), this is one of those cases where you mount the camera to the lens, not the other way around.

I'd put the *istDS on the 70-200 for fits of giggles, but it can't drive the AF.

08-15-2019, 06:35 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Agreed. As with the D-FA* 70-200/2.8 (and anything larger), this is one of those cases where you mount the camera to the lens, not the other way around.

I'd put the *istDS on the 70-200 for fits of giggles, but it can't drive the AF.
you want laughs

line up the Pentax-DA 40mm XS next to the D FA 150-450mm

Diam x Length 62.9 x 9.2 mm (2.5 x 0.36 in.)
Weight 52 g (1.8 oz.)

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/smc-pentax-da-40mm-f2.8-xs.html#ixzz5wg19wZ6s

Diam x Length 95 x 241.5 mm (3.7 x 9.5 in.)

Weight 2000 g (70.5 oz.)
w/ Hood: +130g
w/ Tripod Foot: +195g

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/hd-pentax-d-fa-150-450mm-f45-56-ed-...#ixzz5wg1QW8SB
08-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Call it what you will, streamlining or downsizing, but a few months ago I decided to rationalise my camera collection from a random assortment of makes to just one brand and I did this by standardising on Ricoh/Pentax in the shape of a GRIII, KP and K1-II.
For my purposes, the resultant file type and resolution from each camera is more than good enough and below are some examples.
Vincent,
In the third posted attachment, the metadata says it was shot with your KP at 31mm prime, but your crop and the border suggests it was shot in film with a 6x7. The color palette is also more film like. Was this digital or film, and if it was film, why the faux framing aesthetic?

I like a lot of your color and monochrome image choices and how you cropped and framed them....especially the square B&W of the men playing the board game. But that one simulated analog image raises a flag for me. It's as if each image holds up on its own, but that one needed the fake border to give it value. What were your thoughts?
08-15-2019, 11:37 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello Alex

There's a few reasons.

Generally I like borders around my images. I used to do this in Photoshop but then I discovered NIK from DXO and that is easier so I round trip from LR to NIK producing a TIF file which then returns automatically to LR. NIK allows for several film emulations and I've been experimenting a bit. They also allow a choice of borders and I'm still experimenting with those as well.

For B&W I use a Fuji Acros 100 simulation because it is a film I know well and used a lot during the film era.

Digital has made all our lives easy but I'd still use film if I had time and hadn't become so lazy. For some years I scanned negative and positive film but found it a right royal pain. Scanning is a black art as far as I'm concerned and I never mastered it.

So to cut a long story short, I hanker nostalgically for the film era but have been seduced by the ease of digital and hence the reason for using the film emulations.

All best and thanks for liking some of my pictures.

Vincent