Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2019, 02:33 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tamron 17-50 a bit yellow?

I have a Tamron 17-50 that is sharp, in fact very very sharp, made in Japan version. The lens is also very light and compact. But I have still been frustrating with it due to 2 problems:

- For some reasons, its focal length reporting is messed up, for example photos taken at 50mm have 32mm in EXIFT, or photos taken at 17mm have 42mm written in it. Not really affects the usage, but quite annoying from Lightroom organization standpoint, and I also understand that it impacts sensor stabilization too, since the camera doesn't know the real focal length being used.

- I prefer the look of the 20-40 or 21mm to it, even if in fact both of them are less sharp than the Tamron. Having some free time this week to do a comparison, I realize that images from the Tamron are always warmer, like there is a very light yellow filter putting on it, or like the white balance on Lightroom is always shifted a bit to the right side by default.

Is there away to configure the camera so that it compensates for this yellow cast when I use the Tamron? I don't want to spend time adjusting the images in post-processing. For the focal length problem I already asked before and looks like there is no solution, so well I'm gonna live with it.

Thanks

08-16-2019, 05:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I had a “wrong FL reported” issue and it needed to be repaired. If still under warranty, send it back. If not, you can ask a local shop to into it or send it back to Tamron for a paid repair. If you decide to not repair the lens, deactivate IBIS since the wrong reading will mess with it and make long exposure blurrier.
08-16-2019, 05:20 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
I have a Tamron 17-50 that is sharp, in fact very very sharp, made in Japan version. The lens is also very light and compact. But I have still been frustrating with it due to 2 problems:

- For some reasons, its focal length reporting is messed up, for example photos taken at 50mm have 32mm in EXIFT, or photos taken at 17mm have 42mm written in it. Not really affects the usage, but quite annoying from Lightroom organization standpoint, and I also understand that it impacts sensor stabilization too, since the camera doesn't know the real focal length being used.

- I prefer the look of the 20-40 or 21mm to it, even if in fact both of them are less sharp than the Tamron. Having some free time this week to do a comparison, I realize that images from the Tamron are always warmer, like there is a very light yellow filter putting on it, or like the white balance on Lightroom is always shifted a bit to the right side by default.

Is there away to configure the camera so that it compensates for this yellow cast when I use the Tamron? I don't want to spend time adjusting the images in post-processing. For the focal length problem I already asked before and looks like there is no solution, so well I'm gonna live with it.

Thanks
If mine was a little yellow instead of having AF issues (needing various corrections at various focal lengths) I'd be thrilled. Mine seems to be accurate on focal lengths except it says 17.01mm on the wide side vs. 17.00. It is a very sharp lens when you can focus it. I agree that gross reporting errors like 17 vs. 40mm would be frustrating due to stabilization issues.
08-16-2019, 05:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
If mine was a little yellow instead of having AF issues (needing various corrections at various focal lengths) I'd be thrilled. Mine seems to be accurate on focal lengths except it says 17.01mm on the wide side vs. 17.00. It is a very sharp lens when you can focus it. I agree that gross reporting errors like 17 vs. 40mm would be frustrating due to stabilization issues.
Mine has the same focusing problem, it's very annoying.