Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2019, 03:57 AM - 16 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In Praise of the 43mm F1.9 Ltd

I bought a used (LN-) 43mm Limited lens from KEH a few months ago but didn't actually get my hands on it until late July. I'm gobsmacked. There were no indications that the lens had ever been touched by human hands, let alone used, so huge praise for KEH. It is an absolutely lovely lens and it seems like a match made in heaven for my K-1 Mark II. The focal length is very convenient and, while I'll admit that the bokeh is a little busy at times, I love this lens and, for me, it is already a no-brainer for my "desert-island" lens. Here are a few photos from my first couple of weeks with it. These photos were all taken in Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado USA, which is a stunning location. The structures were built by native peoples approximately 800 years ago and many of them are in remarkable condition. The structures, in their day, were plastered and colored and I imagine they were even more stunning then than they are now.

08-16-2019, 04:43 AM   #2
PJ1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shots. I have some great memories of our visit to Mesa Verde back in the days of film.
08-16-2019, 06:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
I bought a used (LN-) 43mm Limited lens from KEH a few months ago but didn't actually get my hands on it until late July. I'm gobsmacked. There were no indications that the lens had ever been touched by human hands, let alone used, so huge praise for KEH. It is an absolutely lovely lens and it seems like a match made in heaven for my K-1 Mark II. The focal length is very convenient and, while I'll admit that the bokeh is a little busy at times, I love this lens and, for me, it is already a no-brainer for my "desert-island" lens. Here are a few photos from my first couple of weeks with it. These photos were all taken in Mesa Verde National Park in Colorado USA, which is a stunning location. The structures were built by native peoples approximately 800 years ago and many of them are in remarkable condition. The structures, in their day, were plastered and colored and I imagine they were even more stunning then than they are now.

Nice pictures and making me envious. I have the 31mm. Is there enough difference to justify the 43 as well?

Surely there must be
08-16-2019, 01:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

the 43 is great. works good for stitching panoramas and reversed aswell

---------- Post added 08-16-19 at 01:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vdubois Quote
Nice pictures and making me envious. I have the 31mm. Is there enough difference to justify the 43 as well?

Surely there must be
yes and no. i find i usually got out with either the 31 and 77 or just the 43. but i think they are different enough to justify all three, and each focal feels just right.

08-16-2019, 02:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice photos and I'm also a fan of the FA43.
As background over the last year I had the opportunity to buy a FA 31 and FA 77 at pretty good prices. Have been loving them too. And then I saw a FA43 at a good price and as an after though bought it. Part of the appeal of these limiteds for me is their small size (which in turn means they go with me whenever I am carrying the K-1) - not to mention they are pleasure to use!

I have been quite surprised by how much I am using the FA43. For me I think its the combination of a focal length (which turned out to be pretty general purpose for a lot of what I do), unobtrusive size and pretty good colours and rendering. So while I think the IQ and rendering is somewhat better on the 31 and 77 (in their own ways), I have been using the FA43 more.
08-16-2019, 04:48 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Very nice results, and it makes me continue with my temptation to also acquire a K-1 II. I've had mine so long, when I got it I was still exclusively shooting 35mm film. The FF perspective is still my favorite use for this lens. My two favorite walk-around primes for 35mm film bodies were this one (true perspective and like a semi-wide compared to a 50mm), and the FA 35mm f/2, both being very versatile. And yes, there is plenty of difference there for including the FA 31mm f/1.8 as well.
08-16-2019, 05:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Surely there must be

I don't have the 31 (yet!) but I'm sure it's worth owning the 43 too!
08-16-2019, 10:17 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Surely there must be
Owning both the 40mm xs (and previously the 43) and a few random 35s I can say that a 40-43 is far closer to a 50 in rendering than a 31-35. Yes there is enough of a difference to justify both.

08-17-2019, 06:31 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Of course you need both! They made them different for a reason.
08-17-2019, 08:50 AM   #10

Really nice photos. I like the busyness of the background on photos 1, feels like it adds to the mood.
Not so much on photo 3 though.

Last edited by Dericali; 08-17-2019 at 02:28 PM.
08-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I had to fine tune the autofocus by +10 on my 43, maybe now, I can enjoy using it.
08-17-2019, 10:51 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Of course you need both! They made them different for a reason.
Haha, you're no help at all
08-17-2019, 11:19 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I love 43, I like 31, use 77 occasionally....