Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2008, 09:14 PM   #1

Pentax lens question

Hello everybody. Some help needed here. I ' thinking about getting tamron 28-75 mm and replace with it 18-55 mm kit lens. Makes sense? Will I see any difference in pictures quality, sharpness,colors ... Or another option -- maybe I should leave 18-55 mm and get something different like Pentax 55-300 mm or Tamron 18-250 mm so I'll have more field covered??? Thanks in advance.Maryo

10-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
Damn Brit

A lot of people love the Tamron 28-75 and you should see an improvement in your shots, that is assuming that you do everything right, it's usually the photographer who is the weak link in any set up.
The Da 55-300 is a great lens and if you bought that you would have 18mm right up to 300 mm with two lenses. That's pretty good coverage.
A lot will depend on what shots you want to take. I'm assuming that you are fairly new to DSLR's so my best suggestion would be to get the 55-300 and as you get more experienced, you can decide where you need a stronger lens. The 55-300 probably won't need replacing so it's worth getting because it is so good.
You probably want to get a prime lens in the 50mm range at some point. The Fa 50 1.4 is great value and quality at $200 or you can look around for one of the many used 50's out there that can be had really cheap, especially if you don't mind manual focus.
10-12-2008, 12:11 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maryo Quote
Hello everybody. Some help needed here. I ' thinking about getting tamron 28-75 mm and replace with it 18-55 mm kit lens. Makes sense? Will I see any difference in pictures quality, sharpness,colors
The biggest difference would simply be the focal lengths - you lose the wide angle, but gain some telephoto. Also, it's f/2.8 throughout, meaning its much more useful in low light.

QuoteQuote:
maybe I should leave 18-55 mm and get something different like Pentax 55-300 mm or Tamron 18-250 mm so I'll have more field covered???
True, but then you lose the f/2.8 option. On the other hand, nothing would stop you from getting something like that - perhaps a prime - later.

My suggestion - shooting with the 18-55 until you understand what exactly you need to supplement or replace it with. Only you will be able to decide whether you need more telephoto or wider apertures or could put up with losing the wide angle.
10-12-2008, 02:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by maryo Quote
Hello everybody. Some help needed here. I ' thinking about getting tamron 28-75 mm and replace with it 18-55 mm kit lens. Makes sense? Will I see any difference in pictures quality, sharpness,colors ... Or another option -- maybe I should leave 18-55 mm and get something different like Pentax 55-300 mm or Tamron 18-250 mm so I'll have more field covered??? Thanks in advance.Maryo
I'm sure the 28-75 is an improvement, but especially in the speed apartment, meaning you'll be able to take pictures with less light and more important for me: create images with a nice blurry background. So if these two are your main objectives then this lens is a nice choice. For low light a real flash is however also something you'll need eventually and getting a fast prime is also an interesting option.

Personally I'll suggest getting something other than a fast standard 28-75 zoom as your second investment in your system. A flash or a 70/90/100/105 macro or the 55-300 as you mention.

A macro is more universal as it sounds because it also a portrait lens with nice blurry backgrounds or a short tele.