Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2019, 09:15 AM   #1

Takumar SMC 55mm f2 - front lens element removal

Hi

I just bought a Takumar SMC 55mm f2 M42 lens, which I knew needed cleaning inside, but I was interested to do the job and am generally quite capable manually.

However - I'm not sure if this model I have to first unscrew the front face plate to access the screws beneath it, or whether I simply unscrew the lens barrel?

Both appear quite tight...

The lens is one of the later series ones (s/n 7048272), with the rubber grip, and it is the SMC model.

Is anyone able to kindly advise? Many thanks.

08-20-2019, 09:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I cannot help you with how it is done but this might be useful:
Pentax Lens Disassembly Database - PentaxForums.com
08-20-2019, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #3

The front face plate unscrews anti-clockwise. They make rubber tools to aid with this. They look like big stoppers design to fit in lens without damaging lens glass. If face plate is stuck due to corrosion or damage you may have to drill two small holes 180 deg apart and use a pointed spanner wrench

Here is link to tools:
Shop Camera Repair Tools at Micro-Tools | Micro-Tools
08-20-2019, 09:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The barrel unscrews on the much older Auto-Takumar 55mm lenses, but on yours, the engraved trim ring unscrews - the barrel won't. Two things you can try. Use an old tooth brush to clean the filter threads because dirt can jam them. And very carefully place drops of penetrating lubricant on the filter threads without getting any on the engraved surface. It should run down the threads. You'll have to clean the lube up later to make sure it doesn't work its way further into the lens, but drops are usually OK. You don't want it on the engraved surface because you want friction there. If the lens hasn't been dropped and the filter threads are still round, I keep trying until the trim ring budges. Drilling holes is drastic.

08-20-2019, 11:59 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The barrel unscrews on the much older Auto-Takumar 55mm lenses, but on yours, the engraved trim ring unscrews - the barrel won't. Two things you can try. Use an old tooth brush to clean the filter threads because dirt can jam them. And very carefully place drops of penetrating lubricant on the filter threads without getting any on the engraved surface. It should run down the threads. You'll have to clean the lube up later to make sure it doesn't work its way further into the lens, but drops are usually OK. You don't want it on the engraved surface because you want friction there. If the lens hasn't been dropped and the filter threads are still round, I keep trying until the trim ring budges. Drilling holes is drastic.
Hi - great, thanks for this, I now have the answer to my question!
08-20-2019, 11:59 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I cannot help you with how it is done but this might be useful:
Pentax Lens Disassembly Database - PentaxForums.com
Thanks for this
08-21-2019, 12:00 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jcfrisina Quote
The front face plate unscrews anti-clockwise. They make rubber tools to aid with this. They look like big stoppers design to fit in lens without damaging lens glass. If face plate is stuck due to corrosion or damage you may have to drill two small holes 180 deg apart and use a pointed spanner wrench

Here is link to tools:
Shop Camera Repair Tools at Micro-Tools | Micro-Tools
Thanks very much!
08-21-2019, 10:29 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

If the faceplate (trim ring) is well and truly stuck, only drill holes in it as a last resort.

When I can't get enough friction to unthread the ring with a rubber stopper of the appropriate size, I often try gluing a plastic cap or metal tube of the right diameter (I have a crappy set of basic Miranda extension tubes that fit nicely) to the trim ring.

A light bead of contact cement on the cap or tube will adhere nicely to the trim ring. Let it set for a few hours, and then gently try to unscrew it. Pressing hard usually only increases the friction. If it works, I often leave the tube or cap glued in place until after I reassemble the lens. Then I peel the cap or tube off, and remove the glue residue with a cotton swab soaked with lighter fluid. There's not only no trace of what was required, but the trim ring is even cleaner than when I started.

I had to do this on a 50mm 1.4 Takumar just last week. Worked a treat. On another lens, I had to use 5 minute epoxy, but it too is removable with lighter fluid when you're all done.

But, sometimes, yes, it is necessary to drill holes in really, really stuck rings - but only after you've tried the caps/cement trick.

Last edited by Ontarian50; 08-22-2019 at 08:45 AM.
08-21-2019, 07:32 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the glue idea. Heat will also make it easier to unstick glue, if you have a heat gun. A lot of glues are only good up to 150F.