Pentaxian

Gorgeous color -Talk about pentax coating

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/w-7GAab5UaehAE8ej76mmw

Google translate

Google Translate

08-21-2019, 11:32 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't see images together with text after translation. Reading the text, yes every lens maker has its own set of coating recipes. I don't find the Pentax SMC and HD anything special, but the aerobright coated lenses provide that unique, inexplicable image rendering that we appreciate or not. And, after all the criticism about the redo of the FA 35 and DA 10-17, I find that images taken with the new HD versions and posted here, are indeed very good. Especially with the HD DA 10-17, the results are impressive.
08-22-2019, 08:50 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Is this like gold-plated cables for audiophiles?
08-22-2019, 09:17 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The poetry of Google Translate...

QuoteQuote:
Behind its colorful colors, there is a significant existence, and there are doubts about whether it can still be eaten.
QuoteQuote:
Many fat friends say that SMC is old.
QuoteQuote:
Here is a joke, in the coating technology, the simple process and method are packaged by Pentax, each can only bypass the Pentax patent development, Nikon, Sony, Zeiss, Panasonic patents are used in a thankless method, Sony was assisted by Zeiss, and similar to T*XP, these have their own nanotechnology, only Canon was blocked by Pentax.

08-22-2019, 10:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Is this like gold-plated cables for audiophiles?
Nope.
08-22-2019, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Nope.
Best audiophile cables: Facts and fictions explained - SoundGuys
08-22-2019, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Coatings do make a difference with regard to colors and flare resistance. There is a difference even between lenses -- FA limiteds give very different colors than more modern lenses that have HD or Aero Bright coatings.
08-22-2019, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Unlike snake-oil audio cables, HD coatings do make a tangible - albeit generally small - difference.

08-22-2019, 11:44 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Unlike snake-oil audio cables, HD coatings do make a tangible - albeit generally small - difference.
The light transmission graphs in the OP's link (which had captions in English earlier, now Chinese) appear to show an improvement in the 0.1-1% range, the example fisheye images show marginal improvement in lens flare and CA from direct sun.

The lowest common denominator of course is the device(s) the capture is viewed on, not the taking lens with whatever coating.
08-22-2019, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
The light transmission graphs in the OP's link (which had captions in English earlier, now Chinese) appear to show an improvement in the 0.1-1% range, the example fisheye images show marginal improvement in lens flare and CA from direct sun.
I have the 15 Ltd and 21 Ltd in both SMC and HD variants. I agree that the differences are very small, with one exception - with my SMC 21, I can provoke the infamous "green blob" pretty much at will when shooting into the sun. Of course I can often make a minor adjustment to avoid or minimize it. But with the HD version I have yet to get blobbed.

WRT the 10-17FE images provided in the OP's link, I prefer the greater lens flare of the SMC variant. It's a personal aesthetic preference.
08-22-2019, 01:36 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The big thing with the HD 10-17 is that it now has a removable hood making it more usable on full frame than in the past where you had to manually cut off the built in hood. The photos of it I've seen with the K-1 are pretty impressive, even if there is minimal difference from the HD coatings.
08-22-2019, 01:38 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I think it's more of a testament to how good the SMC coatings are than it being "snakeoil". Anyone who has used older legacy coatings know they don't stack up.
08-22-2019, 03:10 PM   #13
Ooh! Shiney! Me Want!
Loyal Site Supporter

Anything to denigrate Pentax.
08-22-2019, 03:23 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Idiosyncratic language, with a hint of Tourette’s Syndrome, but some good information in there, though not necessarily new.
08-23-2019, 03:22 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Googles chinese to english translation tool needs a bit of work, I'm guessing. Speaking of H, Dennis Taylor, "This finding scared his seeds." (I'm guessing the melon seeds mentioned in the next sentence were those scared). Speaking of SMC "As soon as SMC is launched, all kinds of bulls are good and the reflectivity of 0.2% is there! 99.8% of the light transmittance is wood!"

"A coated cow is now a cow, what do you look at?"

"The figure of the devil in this Canon is not for Canon, but the manufacturers here are all - spicy chicken!" (I love spicy chicken).

Interesting comment that he makes is that many lens makers put coatings only a couple of the outer lens elements, whereas Pentax tends to apply them to all of their lens elements.