Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2019, 02:52 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Éire69 Quote
A little decentering can be annoying but this doesn't mean the lens cannot be used. But... if what I see from the pictures is a decentered group, then it's way worse than those decentered lenses I encountered and used. But this does mean that it probably can be easily realigned, because the group simply doesn't sit where it should.
So a manual repair could maybe be performed? Still not convinced I want to try that out

08-26-2019, 10:46 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by telum Quote
So a manual repair could maybe be performed? Still not convinced I want to try that out
That $80 will look mighty good in your hand versus an $80 pile of lens parts and lost pins and springs.....and lotsa cussin !
I still say...…..RUN !
08-27-2019, 07:43 PM   #18

Dunno... I checked mine and it doesn't appear to have anything weird wrt the internal groups like the one you showed. Afterwards I had a look at a review on ephotozine, where their sample in a frontal picture seems to have a decentered retaining ring just like the sample in question... Their test was good, though, so maybe what I saw was an optical effect due to the lens not exactly frontal to the observer?
Well, if you don't feel good at spending 80 bucks on a potentially defective lens, who am I to disagree?
The only way to see if the quality is good enough or not - for you - is to check the actual pictures taken...
BTW, the 12-24 is quite sharp all around but only when stopped down. and shows almost always an annoying amount of chromatic aberrations off center... (easily corrected, but they're there nonetheless).

G.
08-29-2019, 01:09 AM   #19

Original Poster
I asked for sample pictures more or less the same time I created the thread, but never received any. Not it is gone, so the decision was taken on my behalf, but might be for the best - will go hunting for a Sigma 10-20mm instead :-)

Thanks again for all the replies, much appreciated!

09-20-2019, 03:13 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I asked for sample pictures more or less the same time I created the thread, but never received any. Not it is gone, so the decision was taken on my behalf, but might be for the best - will go hunting for a Sigma 10-20mm instead :-)

Thanks again for all the replies, much appreciated!
If you can find the Sigma 10-20/3.5 it would be better.
03-18-2020, 05:04 AM   #21

Original Poster
I got my hands on a used sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 but from a shop and it has been great. Then suddenly I got the chance to buy a Pentax 17-70 and a Pentax 12-24 for just about USD 220 and I could not resist, they seemed more or less like new.

I will definitely sell the 17-70 again (I have a Sigma 17-70 which I am very happy with and I see no reason to replace that), but now I am in doubt with the UWA's. The Pentax would bring in more cash which could go to a new body at some point (K50 is great, but AI and ISO is a step behind the newer bodies), but it just feels better build and to be of a better quality and something that might grow more with a better house attached.

I have yet to compare the IQ but I expect them to be pretty similar with Sigma being wider but probably a tad behind in raw IQ.

Which would you sell of?
03-18-2020, 10:21 PM   #22
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
See what impulse does..... now you may or maynot decide to keep the new additions., . or the older to you ones.

Me i've never sold a lens ...... so I am of no help

Dave