Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-24-2019, 03:16 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would look on the Market Place for a K1 and 3 FA limited lenses. That makes a wonderful kit.

08-24-2019, 04:43 PM   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
So you did kind of validate my theory (Sigma 30 + KP vs F 50 + K1) I might exaggerate the cost a bit since I never do a proper search (the K1 is still more a wishlist than a plan for now), but I think I did see an used K1 on ebay last month for 750 euros.
If the weight of the Sigma 30/1.4 Art bothers you, I'm not sure that going full frame would be the right choice.

I shoot mainly APS-C Pentax (and Samsung-rebranded) cameras with mostly APS-C and a few full-frame lenses. I also shoot a full frame Hasselblad HV which is basically a Sony A99. The HV is more-or-less comparable in size and weight to the K-1, and the range of lenses I use with it are generally comparable with those that most folks use on any full frame DSLR camera - from small and lightweight older fast 50s, to big and heavy f/2.8 zooms. I love to shoot my HV, and really enjoy the full frame experience in certain use cases, but I rarely use that setup for longer shoots or days out unless I know the lenses I'll be using will be the smaller, lighter ones.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, by all means get the K-1 and suitable lenses if and when you want a full frame camera for the benefits of that format, but understand that the system - whilst offering some advantages over APS-C - will be bigger and heavier... not always, but generally speaking. Larger format means larger sensor and image circle requirements, which translates to larger camera and glass respectively... as a general rule...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-24-2019 at 05:24 PM.
08-24-2019, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are we talking weight or balance, here? On a K-1, the D FA*50/1.4 makes for a heavy(ish) combination but it feels balanced, and if you’re not carrying too much more, the weight can be OK. I must admit to some trepidation when I ordered the 50, but my experience with it and the K-1 has been all good.

Not having owned the Sigma 30, I couldn’t say one way or the other, in that regard. However, in moving to the K-1, I’ve re-appraised my approach to carrying lenses some extent, looking to make use of the minimum, rather than trying to cover all possible situations, simply because the camera’s that good (I owned a K-3, previously, among antecedents).
08-24-2019, 05:38 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If you hesitate to take a lens or camera out because of its weight and size, then they are not good enough. Let it go would make the most logical sense to me.
I made a similar decision with a lens I really like but it is just too heavy for me.