Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2019, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

The best one is "light haze (does not affect shots!) "
Roberts camera does this too and it pisses me off. A lens riddled with fungus is not GOOD CONDITION. The worst part is they still try to sell these lenses at near market value, hoping people won't look

Scummy and dishonest practices. I give crap to KEH but they've never been this off base with their ratings.

---------- Post added 08-25-19 at 01:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
I noticed Good ones seem to run in spurts on Ebay. Looking at a couple that are in need of cleaning/service right here in the USA.
I have looked at 6 from Japan and although rated as EXC+ or better , every one was NOT EXC + in my book.
Luckily these are quite easy to work on and clean, but I want nothing to do with Fungus unless its less than $200 shipped and that's still a BIG maybe.
EXC + (with dents)...EXC+ (with Fungus)...EXC+ (With Broken Internals)…….lol.
Maybe Japan sells us the Leftovers ?
Im inclined to make an offer on this one , but the last image looks like possible fungus on the lower right side ? I cant really tell ? Reflection ? Im very tempted anyway.
Possibly but to me it more looks like a reflection. However impossible to tell without another angle.

08-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
The best one is "light haze (does not affect shots!) "
Roberts camera does this too and it pisses me off. A lens riddled with fungus is not GOOD CONDITION. The worst part is they still try to sell these lenses at near market value, hoping people won't look
For example...

This 59A has internal haze
Tamron 59A 28-70mm F3.5-4.5 Macro Adaptall Lens 28-70/3.5-4.5 (Used - Very Good Condition)

This 159A does not.
Tamron 59A 28-70mm F3.5-4.5 Macro Adaptall Lens 28-70/3.5-4.5 (Used - Very Good Condition)

Same price...

The one lens I've bought from Used Photo Pro was described as "light internal dust" and was exactly as described.

Last edited by boriscleto; 08-25-2019 at 11:15 AM.
08-27-2019, 08:47 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Nikon Photomic "heads" show the set shutter speed (F) or shutter speed and aperture (F2) in the viewfinder,
so even if the exposure meter is non-functional IMO they're a better option than a plain prism - which shows neither.
True they are larger and not as cool looking, but they're available at a fraction of the cost.
I think it's a collector thing, more than outright usability. A dead meter prism is a blight on an otherwise working camera. And parts haven't been available for a long time. There were rumours (or just hopes) in the late '90s that some shop in China or India might consider tooling up to make replacements to keep Nikon Photomics going, but digital came along too quickly and ruined that party.

While a dead meter prism still has its shutter and aperture displays (depending on the model) it's still a shadow of its former self. Putting a prism on that never had a meter is technically less useful (no displays, just a focusing screen inside) but it is neat, tidy, and functions as fully as it was intended. To the collector/user, unbroken beats broken any day.

And then again, you've got a good excuse to dig out that hand-held meter and take incident readings of everything - which beats built-in meters most days of the week.
08-28-2019, 02:07 AM   #34

Photos: Gallery
My experience of buying gear from Japan. A Mamiya RB67 ProSD was described as very good I think. On arrival and testing I considered it mint, Looked new.
A second one bought a few years later ( the first stolen) is also mint condition. Accessory backs purchased as described. Much better experience than some purchases from Aus and US.

08-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, I don't go by the descriptive rating, Excellent seems to cover a pretty wide range. But my experience is that the sellers with higher numbers of transactions do pretty well in taking good pics, and in the detailed descriptions of dust, fungus, haze, scratches on body, etc. If I pay close attention to those, my experience has been pretty good.
08-30-2019, 11:51 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Veteran Member

Lezot claims they can fix photomic prisms if your interested. I was in Japan in April and shopping around and foj d the prices very steep and mostly very overpriced. Some truly shabby cameras being sold at very steep pricing.

Fungus is, I am told a problem in Japan due to the high humidity.

Most eBay sellers in my view dont have the faintest idea what they are selling, most of them wouldnt know fungus if it was the size of the Blob and eating the wife and kids.
They probably just see the phrase ‘clear of haze and fungus, iris snappy’ and cut and paste it. The ones that annoy me are the ones who say ‘cant test it cos I dont have a battery and dont know anything about cameras’ then you look at their past listings and see they have been selling nothing but cameras. Strange that.....you’d imagine somone who has sold 500 cameras might have learned something or might be in possession of a battery.
09-08-2019, 09:01 PM   #37
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Corollaries being:
  • Never buy from a seller that responds to a question by appealing to their feedback score
  • Never buy a lens from a seller that uses the phrase, "does not affect image quality"
  • Never buy from a seller that claims ignorance regarding a specialty item, especially if being offered with a "no returns" policy

Steve
Spot on Steve---I look out for any of those statements when I buy--or rather DON'T buy!!

09-11-2019, 08:07 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Then upon further reading the description closely I find FUNGUS listed in the description ?
How can a seller rate a lens as EXC+++++ with ANY Fungus at all present ?
I've bought a lot of Pentax lenses/accessories from Japan and I generally find the condition listed in the auction title is the cosmetic condition of the lens.
There will usually be an "optics" section and that's where fungus/dust/haze and so on will be listed.

As previously mentioned you need to read the whole listing. I've been very pleased with most of my purchases from Japan, as long as they are not sent via surface mail that can take over two months, just to cross the pacific ocean to the west cost of Canada! I always opt for EMS shipping.

Phil.