Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2008, 12:57 PM   #1

Need lens help

I have a K10D with a Pentax 10-17 and the Tamron 28-75. Not quite sure what would be the next logical choice in a lens. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I bought the camera right before I had my son and my father had some old Pentax lenses that I wanted to use, since he shot photos of me as a baby with the same lenses. I have a total of just over a grand into this, the camera new was 600 and the two lenses together I paid 475 with all papers, boxes and bags. I like good stuff, I just don't pay retail, and kids are not cheap. Thanks.

10-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What subjects do you find wanting to take most of? Or put another way, what focal lengths do you find wanting to use more of? Once you have an idea of this, the choice is more focused, excuse the pun.

e.g. if you find yourself wanting to take closeups of things, you'll need a macro lens - best value there is probably a 100/2.8 macro, or perhaps a 50/2.8 macro; or if you want to catch your kids in their element from some distance, you'll need a telephoto - lots of choices there, but the very good ones are expensive.

See how you go with what range you would like to have first, and it'll be much easier then to answer the question.
10-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Next logical choice would be something longer than 75mm

I recommend the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8. That along with the Tamron 28-75mm would make a great portrait/people/events kit.
10-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Go Long!

I agree your next logical selection would be a longer zoom.

I have the 28-75 F2.8 and beyond that I have a sigma APO 70-200 F2.8 EX plus 1.4x and 2X TCs.

I would recommend looking at both the sigma and tamron offerings with 70-200 F2.8.

I can't recommend either as my lens is a much older version. I simply don't know how the new lenses perform, but the origonal lens I own is excellent.

10-14-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
Damn Brit

You don't mention which lenses your father has. Can't you borrow them and work out what you need by using them. I'm assuming some of your father's lenses are screwmount so an adapter might be the best choice as a next buy. Once you have that, you can buy the old, good glass at low prices compared to some more modern lenses.
10-15-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I also might have imagined a rectillinear wide angle handy; first candidates in my mind would be the DA 16-45 f/4 or the DA 21 Limited f/3.2.
10-15-2008, 07:59 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pdxbmw Quote
I have a K10D with a Pentax 10-17 and the Tamron 28-75. Not quite sure what would be the next logical choice in a lens. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I bought the camera right before I had my son and my father had some old Pentax lenses that I wanted to use, since he shot photos of me as a baby with the same lenses. I have a total of just over a grand into this, the camera new was 600 and the two lenses together I paid 475 with all papers, boxes and bags. I like good stuff, I just don't pay retail, and kids are not cheap. Thanks.
Here are a few questions you need to ask yourself to answer your question:
  • Are you satisfied with the images from the 10-17, or would like to add a rectilinear view (no fisheye distortion)?
  • You have a large gap between 17mm and 28mm - do you ever notice the missing focal lengths?
  • When you have the 28-75 on the camera, what are the focal lengths you use most, and where do you run out of range - long or short?
  • Have you found situations where the 75mm is just not long enough?
Perhaps a questionnaire such as this with your own personal additions will help you decide on your next lens choice.