Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2019, 01:15 AM - 2 Likes   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
35mm f2.8 Macro Limited - full stop

if you are looking for the best for APS-C in the 35mm range, this is it.... HD or SMC doesn't matter, the optics are the same and are deadly....

my album:

HD DA 35mm f2.8 Macro Limited | Flickr
What he said.

The DA 35mm limited is a superb lens and capable of 3D pop and extreme sharpness in the same photo, which is rare indeed.

Here I've selected a few images from it which I feel demonstrate 3D pop. The first two were taken wide open, the last at f/4.

Shrine
by Jonathan MacDonald, on Flickr

Hakone

IMGP9384a

I used to own the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 but sold it as it wasn't sharp until f/2.8 and for that I have the limited.

The only lens I've used which comes close (very close, in fact) to the DA limited with the same field of view is the Fujinon 35mm f/1.4, but that's a different mount of course.

Last edited by Jonathan Mac; 08-29-2019 at 01:23 AM.
08-29-2019, 04:30 AM   #62

Photos: Gallery
No bash for the DA 35 mm f2.4 !

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Some folks seem ambivalent about the DA35/2.4, but I really like it, and I can get everything I want out of raw files from it.
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I can only compare mine to the DA 35 2.4... so not really what the question is, but they are both sharp and render well
+1 and no fear for the plastic mount, it is a strong one.

On Dxomark, the 35mm f2.4 is 11pts overall sharpness, the 35mm f2.8 macro is 13pts on the K3.

At f/8 f/11, the 2.4 seems slightly better

At f2.8, the 2.4 is a bit sharpless but more homogeneous, the 2.8 macro is sharper in the center

2.8 is macro and very well built, it has the limited feeling too

2.4 is really really cheap for its quality, maybe unbeatable.

I'd really enjoy to own the limited but until now, my personal choice has usually been to fix a price limit, and take the best advantage of the cheap but still very good Pentax photo system side.

Final choice is a personal one, there will be no mistake
08-29-2019, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #63
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Ah. My bad. In that case, I would say that on reputation, the DA 35 Limited is a *much* sharper lens.
Well, again I have to say this not having the DA 35 Limited, but I don't think that is exactly true in regards to the Art series... the older versions of the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, yes, they had serious issues with sharpness in the corners. The Art version covers a much larger image circle (it actually covers the full frame with some severe loss of sharpness and also vignetting at the extreme corners). The corners on APS-C are very sharp from at least f/2.8 in my copy. This is the Sigma 30 1.4 Art on a Foveon sensor:

Source: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM Art lens - Photo Review

Notice: both center and corners actually peak at f/2.5 and after that, diffraction! Photoreview.com.au said "Resolution remained high at all aperture settings, although some edge and corner softening was evident at the widest lens apertures. However, when stopped down to f/2.5, both centre and edge resolution were excellent."

There is a similar result chart from its sibling, the Sigma DC 30mm f/1.4 C on the Sony E mount:

Source: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC DN C Lens Review | ePHOTOzine

The E-mount lens has a tweaked optical formula, still based on the same number of elements as the Art, and they are arranged a bit differently (9 elements in 7 groups instead of the Art's 9 elements in 8 groups). The E mount lens was also downgraded to a "C" (Contemporary) lens instead of receiving the Art designation, but the results are very similar as you can see. If anything, the E-mount C version is a bit sharper wide open, probably the optical tweak was to reduce the field curvature (which actually adds character to the Art series images, IMHO... I've talked about that in a previous post so I digress...)

So no, I wouldn't say this Sigma lens is "much" less sharp than the Pentax 35mm DA Limited (which by the way, tested a bit less sharp than the DA 35 2.4 at f8 in some sites, but we all know the DA Limited has superior contrast and color, and image isn't made from sharpness alone...)
08-29-2019, 11:04 AM - 4 Likes   #64
Pentaxian

The subject being not costing " a fortune" but having fine sharpness and resolution- the bargain basement lens is of course, the DA 35mm f/2.4 which is hard to beat for quality vs. low cost.

Then there's the classic FA 35mm f/2 which I have had for may years. Now a new version of that lens has appeared with HD coatings. This seems worth the extra money to me. Most would consider the price of this lens a modest cost for such a fine performer. A pretty fast f/2 aperture that can provide very good results even wide open. Excellent sharpness, resolution, and bokeh in a very compact design at a moderate cost. And if ever wanting to shoot some film, or if deciding to acquire a Pentax FF DSLR, this lens stands ready and fully capable, providing a moderate wide angle FOV.

08-29-2019, 03:10 PM - 1 Like   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I really don't see much of a dilemma here, the chances are high that Pentax FA31 will deliver exactly what you seek.

Pentax K5IIs - SMCP-FA31mm f/1.8 ASPH Limited [cropped]

Pentax K7 - Pentax SMCP-FA31mm f/1.8 ASPH Limited

Pentax K5IIs - SMCP-FA31mm f/1.8 ASPH Limited
Absolutely beautiful.