Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2019, 10:56 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
35 = 21

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
Lately I've been considering a 30-35mm prime lens acquisition. I would use it on my K-5IIs or occasionally K10D. No plans on going FF in the future. I love my M50mm/f1.7, but want a high quality 'normal' prime lens for APS-C. I just read an interesting article about micro-contrast and 3D 'pop':
https://yannickkhong.com/blog/2016/2/8/micro-contrast-the-biggest-optical-luxury-of-the-world

His basic premise is that the more highly corrected a lens is for CA control, the more elements it will have which is great for sharpness/CA but kills 3D 'pop'. My best 3D lens is my F 100mm/f2.8 Macro. It just has 'magic' compared to my other lenses: I'm guessing good micro-contrast is the source.

So my question to y'all is this, in the 30-35mm range, what lenses would you recommend that have decent sharpness (say 8.5 and up), very good micro-contrast, and don't cost a fortune. I'm willing to trade so-so CA control for better micro-contrast if they are indeed mutually incompatible. I don't care if the lens is all manual, although auto-something would be preferable. IQ trumps convenience. It's age/era is not important if I can find a good copy. It doesn't have to be Pentax, although that too would be preferable.
APSC the 21 Limited is actually about 32.5 or something. It is truly a magnificent lens for travel and for pretty much EVERYTHING. Check out my review here:

Pentax DA 21mm f/3.2 AL Limited samples - Page 17 - PentaxForums.com

and...

The lens that suprised you the most. - Page 7 - PentaxForums.com

Wonderful little thing. Discreet but a STELLAR performer.

Cheers,
Cameron

08-28-2019, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
I also have a Tak 35/2.3. I love it - my favorite 35mm lens. Also my only one, so I am no position to make recommendations, hehehe.

To get results like that above, one must work at it. I have found that the angle of the light is important.
What the 35 f2.3 does with highlights is nothing short of spectacular. It is a bit of a change of pace from basically any other lens.

Stopped down it's a pretty sharp and unsuspecting 35 though, almost completely devoid of CA from my tests.
08-28-2019, 11:09 AM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by the scout Quote
I have been looking for a smc K 30 mm f2.8 for a while, certainly an excellent lens, but still a bit expensive used.
I would agree. I have this lens, and like it a lot -- I find its images to be sharp yet holding a certain mellowness and delicate rendering. Of course, it is manual focus and manual aperture, but it works well in 'green button' stop-down metering or in Live View mode.

I've heard it said that the K 30/2.8 is the 'poor man's FA 31 Limited'... or maybe the FA 31 is the rich man's K 30/2.8.

Like some other folks here, another one of my favourite lenses in this range is the HD Pentax-DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited. It always produces wonderful images.

- Craig
08-28-2019, 11:17 AM   #49
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . The FA 31mm Limited is at the 'fortune' threshold in my world. , , ,
you could invest in a single lottery ticket and hope for the best

08-28-2019, 11:49 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
APSC the 21 Limited is actually about 32.5 or something.
In my original post I mentioned I wanted a 'normal' focal length lens for APS-C. On full frame normal FoV is 50mm. For APS-C, 50mm divided by 1.5 crop factor = 33.33mm. That's why I was interested in the 30-35mm range.

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
you could invest in a single lottery ticket and hope for the best
My wife's boss does when the jackpot gets up to $100 million. He has said many times that he and his brother will take 25% each, and the other 50% will be split among the employees. Still waiting....
08-28-2019, 12:00 PM   #51
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

In my original post I mentioned I wanted a 'normal' focal length lens for APS-C. On full frame normal FoV is 50mm. For APS-C, 50mm divided by 1.5 crop factor = 33.33mm. That's why I was interested in the 30-35mm range.. . . .
this has a chart to show the equivalent fields of view:

Crop Factor Explained
08-28-2019, 12:36 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
While money is indeed a factor with any purchase, I can vouch that the FA31 is worth the money.
If you can't afford it, you can't afford it, but I used it as my normal and regular lens on the K-3 II, so the amount of use I got out of it more than made up for the price. And I now use it quite a bit on my K-1.

08-28-2019, 12:42 PM   #53
Pentaxian

this has a chart to show the equivalent fields of view:

Crop Factor Explained
I'm sure he knows this concept pretty well. The original post explained exactly what he wanted and took the crop factor into consideration.
08-28-2019, 01:03 PM   #54
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I'm sure he knows this concept pretty well. The original post explained exactly what he wanted and took the crop factor into consideration.
no doubt

but it may be something that other readers of the thread might want to know

and if the OP objects to my post, I can easily remove it once he request
08-28-2019, 01:42 PM - 2 Likes   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
if the OP objects to my post, I can easily remove it once he request
No objection. I'm familiar with the concept but others might not be.

After re-reading Cicala's acutance blog, I realized some of my comments on Khong's blog were probably wrong or misleading. Apologies. I should have followed Paul Harvey's advice. I also realized that I had been pronouncing acutance wrong. I had read it as ak-chew-ance, when it is written ak-yoo-tance.

Thanks for all your comments and advice PF dudes and dudettes.
08-28-2019, 02:26 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How does the 35 Macro compare to the Sigma Art in terms of sharpness, for those of you that have had both?
08-28-2019, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #57
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
How does the 35 Macro compare to the Sigma Art in terms of sharpness, for those of you that have had both?
The 35 Limited is much sharper at 6" focal distance, while the Sigma is much sharper at f/1.4

Seriously though, they are both extremely sharp - but also extremely different. For a start, I would suggest you really need to use the Sigma on a full frame body to do it justice, and to justify the weight. That of course makes it a completely different field of view.
08-28-2019, 03:20 PM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The 35 Limited is much sharper at 6" focal distance, while the Sigma is much sharper at f/1.4

Seriously though, they are both extremely sharp - but also extremely different. For a start, I would suggest you really need to use the Sigma on a full frame body to do it justice, and to justify the weight. That of course makes it a completely different field of view.
I think you're talking about the full-frame 35mm f/1.4 Art... the one that was brought up in the thread (since the OP states he's sticking to APS-C) is the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art - about half the size and weight of the full frame lens, but still far from a DA Limited in size or weight

I can only compare mine to the DA 35 2.4... so not really what the question is, but they are both sharp and render well. My DA 35 2.4 seems to have some issues now (too many knocks through the years? Hybrid aspherical plastic section losening up a bit?) but it was always pin sharp until recently. So is the DA 35 1.4 in the in-focus area, from about f/1.8 in my copy at least.
08-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think you're talking about the full-frame 35mm f/1.4 Art... the one that was brought up in the thread (since the OP states he's sticking to APS-C) is the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art - about half the size and weight of the full frame lens, but still far from a DA Limited in size or weight
Ah. My bad. In that case, I would say that on reputation, the DA 35 Limited is a *much* sharper lens.
08-28-2019, 07:21 PM - 1 Like   #60

Photos: Albums
A SIgma 30 will often be found on my K3 or Kp . I really like the combination of the Kp with the Sigma 30