Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2019, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #1

Stiff Focus on WR zoom

I have a Pentax DA 4.5 -6.3 55-300 ED PLM WR RE lens and the zoom on it is quite stiff certainly more so than any other lens I own and it gets noticeably worse in hot weather.

Its not causing a major problem at the minute so I'm wondering are they all like this, perhaps its the weather seals doing it, if their not then is there anything I can do to free it off a little.

If I point any of my other zooms from Sigma etc towards the ground they will extend themselves but the Pentax does not.

Any feedback gratefully received.

Regards Barry

08-28-2019, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigbaz Quote
. . . If I point any of my other zooms from Sigma etc towards the ground they will extend themselves but the Pentax does not. . . .
I haven't noticed a problem with my PLM but then it may be just a " feel " thing dependent on your particular taste

you could check the user reviews:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/hd-pentax-da-55-300mm-f45-63-ed-plm-wr-re.html

and send a pm to any one else who notes the same issue to get more information

if you like " lens creep "
QuoteQuote:
Zoom creep or lens creep is one of the most annoying shooting-related phenomena, occurring when the zoom lens barrel extends due to its own weight. Fortunately, there's a simple and basically free way to resolve it. This video from Dr. Jake Newman shows how to use a rubber band to prevent the zoom lens from creeping.
- How to prevent the lens creep with a simple rubber band - DIY Photography

no problem

a number of folks don't and this search might have some hints for them

lens creep - Google Search
08-28-2019, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #3

I have a Pentax DA 4.5 -6.3 55-300 ED PLM WR RE lens and the zoom on it is quite stiff certainly more so than any other lens I own
Can confirm this on my newly acquired, bought used PLM. Don't know how it will change in different temperatures so far, though.
If I point any of my other zooms from Sigma etc towards the ground they will extend themselves
That does happen especially on more experienced gear, but I'm happy that it does not happen with my PLM. It's not a feature intended by the designers that the lens extends itself when confronted with a little gravity...
08-28-2019, 06:34 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

My PLMís the same, as was the original 55-300 before it. Maybe itíll free up a little in use, although mine hasnít (yet).

08-28-2019, 06:55 AM   #5
Photo Forum Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My HD 55-300mm WR ED doesn't do that, in fact, it's never been a problem with zooming but it isn't automatic, you have to choose which focal length you want by turning the barrel and it isn't stiff.
08-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That's strange, because the focusing ring on this lens simply operates the camera's electronic focusing system. There is no mechanical connection to the glass AFAIK. Perhaps something is stuck inside.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-28-2019, 10:15 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Maybe a bit of confusion going on here. The OP's original thread title is 'stiff focus on WR zoom' implying the focus ring, and then goes on to talk about the zoom ring being stiff, so I'm assuming that the OP means the zoom ring, not the focus ring.

As Adam says, the focus ring is not tight as there's no physical connection to the lens mechanism - in fact, you have to be careful not to accidentally nudge it after it's focussed. The zoom ring however is stiffer than other Pentax zooms, maybe due to materials of construction.
08-28-2019, 11:48 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I haven't noticed a problem with my PLM but then it may be just a " feel " thing dependent on your particular taste
No itís more than that. Thanks for the reply though.

---------- Post added 08-28-19 at 11:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
Can confirm this on my newly acquired, bought used PLM. Don't know how it will change in different temperatures so far, though.
33 degrees C and it was stiff believe me. Nice to know itís not unique to me though.

---------- Post added 08-28-19 at 11:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
My PLMís the same, as was the original 55-300 before it. Maybe itíll free up a little in use, although mine hasnít (yet).
Well thatís three of us up to know and I doubt it will get any better.

08-29-2019, 12:24 AM - 1 Like   #9

HI Barry,
I am leaving in New caledonia so the weather is little bit hot sometime.
I bought last year the same lens, and I can confirm the same experience but it was not a problem for me same as Aslyfox and the lens was very good until that I found the last 2 mounth a small white spot in the lens , send it under garantee to Pentax France and back home just 2 week ago.they did a very good job and strangely I can notice now that the lens is less stiff than before.
08-29-2019, 02:07 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by oversea Quote
HI Barry,
I am leaving in New caledonia so the weather is little bit hot sometime.
I bought last year the same lens, and I can confirm the same experience but it was not a problem for me same as Aslyfox and the lens was very good until that I found the last 2 mounth a small white spot in the lens , send it under garantee to Pentax France and back home just 2 week ago.they did a very good job and strangely I can notice now that the lens is less stiff than before.
Itís was 33 degrees when I last used it and it was bad. I did consider wiping a little silicon furniture polish onto the lens barrel but decided I would probably do more harm than good and sadly the lens is no longer under warranty.

---------- Post added 08-29-19 at 02:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I doubt it, mine seems to be getting slowly worse and from what your saying it sounds like a build issue.
09-14-2019, 05:59 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery
I was about to ask the same question when I found this thread. If find the zoom on my 55-300 PLM to be rather stiff as well. Slightly stiffer than my 55-300 HD, and certainly stiffer than the zoom on my 18-135 (which I think is about perfect and far as smoothness and damping). Guess it is just the nature of the beast, still takes great photos!