Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2019, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #121
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
Good example of knowing you gear and getting the most out of it... now let me ask you - is it the same in camera set up in the K-3 as in the K-5 (or anyother body you have, I think I remember those two off the top of my head)?
thank you

I have both my K-5 IIs and K-3 bodies set up the same (as much as possible, there are some differences between the two)...

09-03-2019, 12:52 AM   #122

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
...it's true - I did try it for awhile (early on) and found the workflow was netting me the same results as properly setting up the jpg engine in the camera body... so I cut out the RAW routine and haven't looked back...

May I ask what software you use to process your JPEGs?

I find post-processing to be very unintuitive to me, regardless of which software/steps I use, I seem to never get it right and that makes it very frustrating for me. I believe I've only worked on RAWs so far, but I may have done a few JPEGs (sometimes I don't pay attention to what I'm doing, especially when frustrated/annoyed).

TIA
09-03-2019, 02:43 AM - 2 Likes   #123
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I started off only shooting jpeg. But, for the last few years I've used Lightroom and shot RAW. It is a little more work, but the results are worth it, I think.

Here's a shot from my supercheap Cosina 24mm f1:2.8 Macro. Smooth focus ring, clear glass. Capable of sharp focus and getting up close to any subject. What's not to love! Was sold in the 1980's under many brands: Cosina, Miranda, Vivitar, Exacta and, some say, Carl Zeiss Jena.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
09-03-2019, 02:53 AM   #124
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Achromatter Quote
May I ask what software you use to process your JPEGs?

I find post-processing to be very unintuitive to me, regardless of which software/steps I use, I seem to never get it right and that makes it very frustrating for me. I believe I've only worked on RAWs so far, but I may have done a few JPEGs (sometimes I don't pay attention to what I'm doing, especially when frustrated/annoyed).

TIA

I have been using Skylum's Luminar since it was released (about 3 years ago?), currently using the Flex version since it's the same app, but without the library/cataloging function....

I have several presets that I've built within Luminar that pretty much do everything that I want for any shot I've taken - it's a rare shot that I don't post-process....

09-03-2019, 03:48 AM - 4 Likes   #125
Veteran Member

IDK, I like my M42 glass.The cost is right and for posting to the internet the glass more than holds it's own. Sure, there's much better glass to be had, but come on...you can grab an M42 for 50.00 USD and produce very decent images.I do not shoot jpeg only RAW. I'm happy with the results. For the most part I know exactly what I will get when I press the trigger. I have my camera set in full manual so I tend to use what knowledge I know and never rely on the camera to do it for me.

Fujinon EBC glass

100mm Soligor

Last edited by kevinWE; 09-05-2019 at 01:34 PM.
09-03-2019, 05:30 AM - 3 Likes   #126
Pentaxian

"Why persist in using legacy manual lenses?" Well, for me the first answer is "money". I simply can't afford to replace everything. I'd like to eventually, but for the time being I'm simply using what I've got. And what I've got far exceeds my abilities as a photographer so I don't feel like there's any rush. Honestly, my camera bodies restrict me a lot more than my lenses.
09-03-2019, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lakeshore Quote
Why persist in using legacy manual lenses?
1. Because they are there.
2. Because they are cheaper than equivalent AF lenses, although that's debatable with A* telephotos.
3. I don't. (Every now and then as hobbyist I'll use them for a few shots, but usually not when it matters for a specific image that will be the product of precise accurate capture on the fly.)

09-03-2019, 03:57 PM - 5 Likes   #128

I was just about ready to ask Pepperberry if I could come sit at his feet and learn. But then it hit me, he's been doing this way longer than I have. The jpeg revelation helped me because I shoot in jpeg (it's good enough for now while I'm still learning) so it's nice to know raw isn't 100% necessary. But then I see his pics and think why [swearing] can't I do that?!
09-03-2019, 04:30 PM - 2 Likes   #129
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why persist in using legacy manual lenses? Here's an example from a $60 lens, original and crop with minimum pp. Although I shoot in both raw and jpeg, this is from the jpeg file. Shot with a M 35-70mm f2.8-3.5 on a K-5iis. Furthermore, I don't consider myself to be a very good photographer.

09-03-2019, 04:45 PM - 3 Likes   #130
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RookieGuy Quote
I was just about ready to ask Pepperberry if I could come sit at his feet and learn. But then it hit me, he's been doing this way longer than I have. The jpeg revelation helped me because I shoot in jpeg (it's good enough for now while I'm still learning) so it's nice to know raw isn't 100% necessary. But then I see his pics and think why [swearing] can't I do that?!

thank you - I really do not deserve this level of attention....

I just know what works for me and I've been practicing a lot...
09-03-2019, 08:53 PM - 10 Likes   #131
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of the big benefits of shooting old glass is you're free... free from self-important online reviews, free from some mathematics-based ideal of perfection, free from nerd-raging AF battles where the loser is cast down into the ninth circle of Hell... you're free to accept and embrace imperfection in your gear and in yourself, and focus on the subject and the moment.

09-03-2019, 11:09 PM - 8 Likes   #132
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Modern lenses don't really offer anything I want or need in this point of my hobby. I like the challenge of doing it all manually. I know who to blame, if I don't get results I want. Back then when I was shooting full auto jpeg's with modern zoom I only shot when I had something interesting to shoot. Since I moved to old manual primes I have started to enjoy photography a lot more and also realized I need to practise to learn to use my gear properly. And I have learned so much. Lately I have kept on shooting daily just for the joy of using my gear.

Somewhere along I turned to be a control freak. I don't want to let go of M mode anymore even when I shoot the little AF gear I have. I know what kind of exposure I want for PP and easiest way to get it is to set it all manually. And for manual focus manual lenses are much more enjoyable.

I don't even have the best available vintage lenses. I have the cheapest and yet they are good enough to provide beautiful pictures.

35€ M135/3.5:

50€ M50/1.7:

140€ M50/4:

340€ M*300/4:

80€ M35/2.8:
09-03-2019, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #133

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
I have been using Skylum's Luminar since it was released (about 3 years ago?), currently using the Flex version since it's the same app, but without the library/cataloging function....

I have several presets that I've built within Luminar that pretty much do everything that I want for any shot I've taken - it's a rare shot that I don't post-process....

Thanks
09-04-2019, 12:56 AM - 6 Likes   #134
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I genuinely find shooting with manual lenses and fully manual exposure quicker and easier in most cases. Most of my photos are zone focused, and I prefer to just choose my exposure by eye or with an incident meter and then leave it there until the light changes. Which means that I'll often use exactly the same exposure for hours at a time, just using reciprocal aperture/shutter combinations based on the same exposure value.

I really do personally find autofocus and autoexposure more complicated and more difficult. The automated approach forces me to constantly monitor the decisions the camera is making so that I can over-ride it when I need to. And it seems to need over-riding for just about every shot. I end up feeling like the gear is fighting me and getting in the way, and I get no pleasure from shooting at all.

No doubt if I was into sports or wildlife photography I'd feel very differently and I'd want the latest, fastest autofocus every time. And I'm certainly not trying to convince people who prefer automation that they are wrong and I'm right. There isn't any wrong or right, and we're each free to do things in the way that gives us the most personal enjoyment.
09-04-2019, 01:29 AM - 2 Likes   #135
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I genuinely find shooting with manual lenses and fully manual exposure quicker and easier in most cases. Most of my photos are zone focused, and I prefer to just choose my exposure by eye or with an incident meter and then leave it there until the light changes. Which means that I'll often use exactly the same exposure for hours at a time, just using reciprocal aperture/shutter combinations based on the same exposure value.

I really do personally find autofocus and autoexposure more complicated and more difficult. The automated approach forces me to constantly monitor the decisions the camera is making so that I can over-ride it when I need to. And it seems to need over-riding for just about every shot. I end up feeling like the gear is fighting me and getting in the way, and I get no pleasure from shooting at all.
I do the same and feel the same. Just couldn't put it so well in my post. I underexpose on purpose to save highlights, so due to ISO invariance it doesn't matter if I pull up 0,4 or 1 eV in post.

Probably would feel different, if my salary would depend on getting a shot from game winning goal, but for my use I find manual good enough for sports. Even pros used to do it manually back in the days, so why couldn't I
Thought there are always miss focused shots in the mix, I get enough to choose from. You need to spread and pray anyway as there are lot of moving things in the shot that need to be right in the shot. Like with horses both rider and horse position and expression need to be right.