Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
02-07-2020, 08:56 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Especially if you will be using it with big heavy lenses, rent it with the optional battery grip if at all possible.
I will second this! I love my KP and it was fine with the Sigma 150-500, (barring my lack of skills,) but I don't know how it would play with your Bigma. It is a great wildlife camera though, and for low light, should be a lot better than the K-3. (I know it is better than my K-5IIs.

Last edited by SSGGeezer; 02-08-2020 at 05:46 AM.
02-10-2020, 03:28 PM   #32
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Sandy, I've also seen the comments about smaller battery and smaller buffer on the KP, so I'm shying away from it now. It seems less desirable than my K3. I've seen a used K3 body on B&H which is in good condition; also a used K3 with the DA 18-135 lens accompanying it. I wasn't initially thinking of owning two camera bodies again, but renting a second body only for big trips instead. But getting a second K3 now while one is available and continuing to have two identical bodies is appealing to me. In future, my choices would probably just be to upgrade everything.

It seems more and more places are moving away from Pentax... [cameralensrentals is no longer stocking Pentax; Sigma is no longer supporting Pentax K] Are we Pentax users slowly becoming dinosaurish??? Sad if that is the case.

I'm thinking now: Two K3 bodies, plus: (1) my50-500 lens, (2) my70-200 f2.8 lens, (3) my18-250 OR purchased/rented 18-135 lens, and (4) hopefully renting or buying used the Pentax 18-35 F1.8 DG HSM Art lens I rented in 2018. I also already own a Sigma 18-50 F2.8 DC EX Macro lens, but I would rather take the F1.8 if I can still find it, since it allows a whole lot more light than the 2.8.

I've done a lot of back and forth-ing in my brain with all this, but it has really helped to have input from all of you so that I focus on the important features, as well as finding out information I didn't know. Still mulling over two of the lenses.
02-10-2020, 03:40 PM   #33
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

depending on your ability to carry stuff

I would recommend two camera bodies

this is what I took this Summer to Tanzania

QuoteQuote:
3 cameras: K 3 II, K 3, and the Canon Powershot aka last choice but better than phone camera ( Samsung S 10 + )

lenses to take ( and why ) [ Maximum 9 ]

Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 DC HSM ( extreme wide angle, landscape, night sky )
HD Pentax-DA 16 - 85mm F3.5-5.6 ( wide angle, very short tele WR )
HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR ( good lens rental try out )
SMC Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited ( " lens cap " and very good lens as well)
SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8 ( low light, portrait )
SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro ( macro, short telephoto )
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE ( light weight, telephoto )
HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5 - 5.6 ED DC AW ( telephoto )
HD Pentax -DA AF rear converter 1.4 AW, ( added magnification but loss of F Stop )
Read more at: safari photography techiques sought - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com
02-10-2020, 05:21 PM   #34
Forum Member

Original Poster
ALWAYS two camera bodies. I have had one camera totally die on a previous trip. Taking no chances with that!

So, aslyfox, did you have to rent another seat on the tiny airplane for all that equipment, or did you mostly drive once you got there? LOL. On the small planes in which we will fly from camp to camp our weight limit (supposedly including cameras) is 35 lbs per person for Kenya and 44 lbs in Botswana. My camera bag alone last time weighed 25! But I just keep it on my shoulder and act like it weighs nothing, and so far nobody has asked about it. I often worry that someone is going to weigh my camera bag and I'll have to leave my clothes behind and hang onto the cameras and lenses. I can always live with soap suds in the camp wash basin, I guess, but so far so good.

I committed and made up my mind just now and bought one camera and rented one lens. Rented from lensrentals.com the Sigma 18-35 F1.8 lens for our trip plus three days before and after. Also bought a used K3 camera body from B&H. I will be taking all the lenses mentioned just above in response #32, with the proviso that I still haven't entirely decided between my own 18-250 or the perhaps better quality 18-135. I'll also be purchasing the Moman mini tripod (since in one private vehicle in Kenya I will be able to lie down in the floor and shoot at close to ground level and that sounds like the perfect support).

In addition to my serious cameras, I also always have on hand a Lumix ZS-50, which is actually a pretty good little point and shoot, and just for fun this time I bought a very very cheap-o camcorder with IR night vision. I want to see what happens with almost no light at all, so the camcorder is entirely just to play with, and not expecting a lot from it. The rented F1.8 lens on my K3 should be good at night with the spotlight from the vehicle. It performed well on our trip in 2018.

So, I guess that's it for this time -- except of course buying tons of camera cards. Thanks again to everyone for their input.

02-10-2020, 05:56 PM   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mary Lippold Quote
. . .

So, aslyfox, did you have to rent another seat on the tiny airplane for all that equipment, or did you mostly drive once you got there? LOL. On the small planes in which we will fly from camp to camp our weight limit (supposedly including cameras) is 35 lbs per person for Kenya and 44 lbs in Botswana. My camera bag alone last time weighed 25! But I just keep it on my shoulder and act like it weighs nothing, and so far nobody has asked about it. . . .

. . .
had no problem with weight

had a private vehicle, the two of us and the guide in the Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti

flew from there to Selous Game Reserve and never asked about the weight
02-10-2020, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
aslyfox: that's great. I've never had a problem with camera bag weight, but did have my regular duffle weighed once in Maun, Botswana. We had a private guide/vehicle in 2002 at Ngorongoro also. It was wonderful!

By the way, to all: Sorry for all my flip flopping ideas and questions. I guess I ended up mostly where I started out, using my own lenses. But the short journey to get there was important to me. So I thank you all for your input in helping me get there. At one point I even considered changing over to Canon. But that idea has gone away and I'm still going to enjoy my Pentax/Sigma equipment. It has served me well. Attached (hopefully - see IMGP3784 below?) is one example from Zambia 2018 which is one of my favorites from that trip.
Attached Images

02-11-2020, 04:49 AM   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mary Lippold Quote
aslyfox: that's great. I've never had a problem with camera bag weight, but did have my regular duffle weighed once in Maun, Botswana. We had a private guide/vehicle in 2002 at Ngorongoro also. It was wonderful!

By the way, to all: Sorry for all my flip flopping ideas and questions. I guess I ended up mostly where I started out, using my own lenses. But the short journey to get there was important to me. So I thank you all for your input in helping me get there. At one point I even considered changing over to Canon. But that idea has gone away and I'm still going to enjoy my Pentax/Sigma equipment. It has served me well. Attached (hopefully - see IMGP3784 below?) is one example from Zambia 2018 which is one of my favorites from that trip.
very nice

have fun,

be sure to look all around

and listen to the guide

02-11-2020, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #38
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yep; lots and lots of fun. We have been blessed to go on six photo safaris, starting in 1996. We always listen to the guide, and have also enjoyed getting to know them a little and learning of their lives and families. I've also tried to be very conscious of taking pix of everything all around me, whether it's just a tree against the beautiful sky, a flower, a small animal, or something unexpected. I never know which trip will be my last. The various countries we have visited in Africa have been one of the highlights of my life, and I just can't get over how wondrous it all is (leaving aside some of the more important problems with the people trying to eke out their existence, the poaching, etc.). It is a wonderful experience for me, and my husband and I have agreed that we will continue as long as money allows and we can still climb into the Land Rover.