Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2008, 06:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Setting focus for infinity question?

I have a prime lens that is a little off on the infinity focus, ie infinity is in focus before the lens hits the mechanical stop(which is better than the other way) however, I would like the lens to hit the stop and be in focus for infinity at the same time. If I wanted to adjust the lens, how distant an object would I need to focus on for an accurate setting for infinity?

I am shooting with a k100d super and 400mm prime.

Thanks
7.62lew

10-12-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
I have a prime lens that is a little off on the infinity focus, ie infinity is in focus before the lens hits the mechanical stop(which is better than the other way) however, I would like the lens to hit the stop and be in focus for infinity at the same time. If I wanted to adjust the lens, how distant an object would I need to focus on for an accurate setting for infinity?

Thanks
7.62lew
I think you will find that most, if not all, long focal length lenses allow for focusing past the infinity mark. I have read somewhere that the length of the barrel of the lens extends when the lens is hot, and infinity moves away from the camera a small but measurable amount. I also understand that reflex lenses (mirrors) are even more prone to the problem.
10-13-2008, 08:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Thanks
7.62lew
Your lens is the way it is supposed to be, for the reason Albert has given. You could probably misadjust the focusing ring to do what you want, but you would lose infinity focus when the lens is warm, and your focus distance marks would be tossed out of adjustment as well.
10-13-2008, 09:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I think you will find that most, if not all, long focal length lenses allow for focusing past the infinity mark. I have read somewhere that the length of the barrel of the lens extends when the lens is hot, and infinity moves away from the camera a small but measurable amount. I also understand that reflex lenses (mirrors) are even more prone to the problem.
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Your lens is the way it is supposed to be, for the reason Albert has given. You could probably misadjust the focusing ring to do what you want, but you would lose infinity focus when the lens is warm, and your focus distance marks would be tossed out of adjustment as well.
That makes sense. I guess the longer the lens the more "space" is given for expansion. After the lens is in focus at infinity the focus ring moves another .100" past infinity (and out of focus) on the sigma 400MM, while on the sigma 24mm it hits the stop and it is still in focus. Probably very little expansion on a 24mm, hence not the requirement for a large buffer.

Thanks, I will leave well enough alone.

7.62lew

10-13-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks
7.62lew
As said by the others, better not to mess with the infinity stop, but you can look
up the hyperfocal distance here:

Online Depth of Field Calculator
10-13-2008, 11:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
As said by the others, better not to mess with the infinity stop, but you can look
up the hyperfocal distance here:

Online Depth of Field Calculator

Thanks for the link!