Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 51 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2019, 06:15 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Post #11 has your answer. Ask yourself what you want to do, then ask what lens does that.
If you like wildlife, sports activities and things far away you want a long lens, 300-400mm or so, more or less
If you want to take portraits look for a 30, 40, 50mm
If you like landscapes and sunsets look for a 10-18mm lens

If you don't know what you want to do, get a wide range zoom and use it to make what you want. But don't focus* on the lenses, focus* on the shot

Good luck with whatever you decide. We have lots of experts here for about any question in photography.

*-not a pun

Jack

09-04-2019, 06:16 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Although, compared to most, I have a modest lens selection, I find I'll typically take two lenses on any one 'trip' rather than 3/4. Sometimes, in the case of the single-in challenges, it'll be one lens I take with me only, to force my hand with respect to framing, composition, finding interesting 'articles' and working within (or pushing) the limitations of that lens*.

If I'm going on a longer excursion, I'd be hard pressed to find a worse combination than the 18-135mm WR and 55-300mm PLM. Yes, there is some crossover, but these two lenses cover all perceivable focal range for me, and I don't have the luxury of a 16-50mm 2.8 or similar to cover the shorter end.

*or my limitations, with that lens.
09-04-2019, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #18
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My wife has allowed me to acquire a nice collection of lenses

( IMHO )

bought new on sale or experienced - mainly from the market place -Check my profile for the list

Her rule, I buy it, I carry it

I try to decide what I am going to "target " and choose accordingly

I tend to haul more than I actually use

I also try to use all of my lenses by switching out

I have given lenses away but never sold
09-04-2019, 06:39 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
My wife has allowed me to acquire a nice collection of lenses

( IMHO )

Her rule, I buy it, I carry it
My better half has allowed a similar rule for me. As long as I cover my 'half' of the bills (we split proportional to our wages) and I put some aside for 'just incase' (emergency vets/car/house bills and the like), anything left over I can use on myself, for whatever I please (hobby-wise, no prostitutes or drugs involved). It's a nice system and in 6 years of being with each other, and almost 3 of those years living together, it's worked well.

*I also have to do all the carrying... and, "well seeing as you've got a bag already, I'll put the dogs treats, dog ball, a bottle of water, my purse, a spare pair of shoes..."

09-04-2019, 07:30 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For most of the work I do (landscape, architectural), the DA 16-85 is perfect. I will often add the DA 10-17 FE just for fun. If I know I'll be inside or low light, I'll throw in the small DA 21 or DA 40XS which are faster.
I only bring something longer (DAL 55-300) if I intentionally plan on using it.

I do like to challenge myself with a single lens prime just to get to my eye to 'see' things at a particular focal length.
If I'm just going out for a walk and not sure of what I'll be doing, the DA 16-85 is great.
09-04-2019, 07:34 AM   #21
Pentaxian

For me, it depends upon what I'm doing and what my intentions might be. I mix and match lenses based on the situation and what I expect to be shooting. How far I'll be walking, how serious I am about making pics, and the company I'm with all play a factor in things.
09-04-2019, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

What goes in the bag depends on where I am going and what I anticipate finding there. What comes out of the bag depends on where I am standing, the nature of the subject, and the desired field of view (FOV). I seldom go out with more that three lenses total and rarely use more than two lenses per outing and often only one.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-04-2019 at 09:36 AM.
09-04-2019, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

It depends on what I'm going to shoot... you always have to pick up your camera gear when you have something in mind. Otherwise, you might get frustrated.

If I go out with my family, it's the DA 16-45 plus the Sigma 30 1.4 Art and Pentax-F 50 1.7 for portraits and for using when it gets darker.

If I go out shoot flowers, any manual focus lens that fancies my mood.

When I go shoot my kids sports, the SMC-A 70-210 f/4 will always go, usually the Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Di will come along. Then the Sigma 30 1.4 or DA 16-45 for group shots.

If there's a deer running around in the backyard, it's a tele lens.

And sometimes I'll make myself go out with a lens and then find something that will suit that lens, for example, with a macro lens, or with a lens that I use my reversal ring on for macro shots. The manual focus Craigs Optics (Cosina) 60-300mm f/4-5.6 is also a good choice for when I just want to go out and shoot whatever strikes my fancy, usually along with the Tokina 24 2.8 which can focus very close and seems geared towards those close shots, it's very sharp and renders so nicely for close ups.

A family of close friends asked me me to shoot a book for them now in the fall, so if that happens I'm sure the main lenses will be the Sigma 30 1.4 Art and Pentax-F 50 1.7, along with the Rikenon P 50 1.4 probably. I'm sure I'll bring the DA 16-45 along as the rich colors it renders really suit the trees in the fall.

My objective until the end of the year or early next year is to add the DA 70 Limited to my bag. Since I love to shoot portraits of people, that seems like a perfect choice for my style (the FA 77mm Limited being out of my financial reach).

Conclusion:
So, what it comes down to is this: you need to learn what kind of lenses are good for what purposes, and then when you go out and you have an idea of what you want to shoot that day, the choices basically make themselves obvious.
09-04-2019, 09:15 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm a bit different here. I'm semi-pro now, and one important reason I'm in Pentax is the combination of high quality and low prices (especially for used gear). Thus I don't have a strong impulse to unload things I've picked up. I picked them up for good reasons and did so with a mind to future proofing myself. For instance, I picked up an A series 50 f1.4 a couple of years ago, and have never shot it. But it's the sort of thing I don't use, but know I might need one of these days.. & etc. This is true for both my 645Z and K1mkII.

OTOH, I do now have some duplicate lenses that I got pretty cheap and/or to use with my Sony A7R. Now that I've built up my lens stable over time, I can let some of these other lenses go. So, this fall that's what I'll be doing.
09-04-2019, 09:30 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

I always have a pocket camera with me, but other equipment depends on where I 'intend' to go (travelling by public transport, my choices are often altered for me !) - Nature reserve usually 18-35, 35-70 and 70-300; Railway, 10-20, 18-35, 35-70 and 50-200; Architecturally interesting town or village, 10-20, 18-35, 35-70 and 105 macro; Seascapes (hopefully minus tourists), 10-20, 18-35, 35-70, and just for the hell of it, 500mm mirror lens. On many occasions, I have found myself taking pix of subjects which had not occurred to me when I set out. Tend not to photograph people, unless they are accompanied by photogenic animals, and even then I concentrate on the animal(s).
09-04-2019, 09:43 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of the important things I have learned when preparing for a general photo excursion: I don't always need to cover a full range of focal lengths. I find that I can make interesting pictures regardless of whatever lens I have with me.

For example, telephotos can make good landscape images or a single wide-angle or normal prime lens can serve well for cityscapes.

In an earlier time, when I was a poor student, I seemed to manage well enough for years with a 50/1.8 and a 135/3.5 on an Olympus OM-10.

- Craig
09-04-2019, 10:03 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Usually, after much deliberation, my decision comes down to this.
09-04-2019, 10:54 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
This is a multi faceted question. How do you decide what lens to use? For example, a walk in the park or a monthly challenge? Do you change lenses daily, weekly or monthly? How do you decide the rotation of your lenses? How long do you go without using one of your lens before deciding to sell it? Any and all input would be appreciated. Thx in advance.
Multi-faceted is a good description!

I have specific scenarios for which there's only one answer, be it the 150-500mm or the 90mm macro, very little else will do the specific job these lenses were bought for.

Beyond that ... any one of a hatful of reasons or excuses ... from the aesthetic "that'll look nice hung around my neck" to the spurious "haven't used this one in a while" and most options in between!

My "social event" lens, when I don't want to be hassled with extra gear and lens swapping, is almost always my 18-200.

I've only ever sold three or four lenses (of the dozens that I've bought over the years). Those were deemed to be "of no further use" ... the fact that they proved to be quite rare and desirable to collectors was a definite bonus and served to feed my lens acquisition syndrome for several months!
09-04-2019, 11:08 AM - 5 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

I've got a stable full of premium fast prime lenses.

Multiple times a week I go out on a little local photo safari. I'll grab one lens, and one lens only. Then I'll work that lens and come home and see what I've got.

I've found that I can make any lens work on any photo outing. If I've go a macro I'll be looking for potential macro compositions. If I've got a telephoto, I'll look for tele compostions. By having just one lens, I don't need to worry about getting dust inside the camera changing lenses in the field. Also traveling with one single lens lessens what I need to carry.

Using this simplified approach, I actually have found that I enjoy my photography more because I'm totally focused on just one focal length, and I never get confused second guessing my lens choice. Also, I'm quicker on the trigger, and I seem to get many more keepers than years ago when I used to carry zooms and/or multiple primes at all times.

SIMPLIFICATION IS BLISS

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 09-04-2019 at 11:16 AM.
09-04-2019, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
This is a multi faceted question. How do you decide what lens to use? For example, a walk in the park or a monthly challenge? Do you change lenses daily, weekly or monthly? How do you decide the rotation of your lenses? How long do you go without using one of your lens before deciding to sell it? Any and all input would be appreciated. Thx in advance.
One of two things dictate what lens I use:

a) the subject matter
or
b) the vision

With the subject matter, the focal length, prime vs. zoom, largest aperture, IQ, etc, is all chosen based on the needs to capture the image. How do you determine that? Education, experience, or trial and error. There is an opportunity to shoot a paradox between the foreground and background that require great depth of field, then a wide angle focal length would be my choice. I need to shoot a portrait with a little bit of flattering compression and bokeh background, then a short fast telephoto prime.

If there is no specific subject matter, then I may have a vision of what I want to make. For example with a macro, I can seek out the world of flowers, bugs, small details, that are common place but often overlooked in a familiar environment.
When I'm in this vision "mode", I ignore or try to not think about all my other lenses and other possibilities.