Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-08-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Super-Tak 35mm f/3.5 - 1st & 2nd versions?

Hi All,

I have two Super-Tak 35/3.5 lenses, one is the first version (f/22), the other the second version (f/16 without the distance window) as described in the reviews: S-M-C/Super/Auto Takumar 35mm F3.5 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Wide-Angle Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

It seems that the formula is the same with only minor changes to the barrel, but I'm curious as to why the f/22 setting was removed (I know many of the Taks only go to f/16)?

I need to test them to see if I can see any differences, but all being equal, which one makes the most sense to keep - or doesn't it matter?

Any insights would be most welcome.

Jonh.

09-08-2019, 05:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm guessing no one will know. I'd take a stab that making it go to f22 increased cost in some way. Maybe just some little stupid thing, but somehow that was costing them money.
09-08-2019, 05:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest posting your question here: Takumar club - PentaxForums.com

FWIW, I own the f/16 version and love it.
09-09-2019, 01:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A consistent smallest aperture across the range makes it a lot easier to set the aperture ring without having to look at it, and in practical terms that's really helpful. Personally I want to be able to set my aperture by feel, and the quickest way to do that is to stop the lens all the way down then count clicks back to the aperture you want. For that reason, I'd much rather have the f/16 versions for all my Taks.

I don't know if that's the actual reason, but it's one that matters to me in terms of real-world use.

09-09-2019, 03:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
I'm guessing no one will know. I'd take a stab that making it go to f22 increased cost in some way. Maybe just some little stupid thing, but somehow that was costing them money.
It just seems strange to start off with f/22, then limit it to f/16 and then go back to f/22 for later lenses?

---------- Post added 09-09-19 at 11:19 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
I suggest posting your question here: Takumar club - PentaxForums.com

FWIW, I own the f/16 version and love it.
Thanks Paul, I'd be happy for a moderator to move it, but don't really want to duplicate the post.

---------- Post added 09-09-19 at 11:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
A consistent smallest aperture across the range makes it a lot easier to set the aperture ring without having to look at it, and in practical terms that's really helpful. Personally I want to be able to set my aperture by feel, and the quickest way to do that is to stop the lens all the way down then count clicks back to the aperture you want. For that reason, I'd much rather have the f/16 versions for all my Taks.

I don't know if that's the actual reason, but it's one that matters to me in terms of real-world use.
Thanks Dave, that makes complete sense, something to think about while deciding which one to keep.