Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2010, 11:40 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
<SNIP>
That would be cool. And telescopically folds up...

Now we're just getting silly.

Cameron
I vaguely remember at one point seeing a zoom with a hood that actually attempted to follow the field of view, but cannot remember whose - or maybe it was just one of those dreams ...

04-05-2012, 11:59 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just don't like the LOOK of the hood on the 50-135, it always looked too big to me. I know this is a bit silly perhaps as its all about FUNCTION not form, BUT I just realised that the hood has the same Pentax stock number as the hood for the Pentax 60-250 mm zoom!!

It IS too big, the Pentax bean counters have us all wandering around with a lens hood on our 50-135s that was designed for a 250mm!!

I am seriously thinking to cut mine back!

Graham.
04-06-2012, 12:07 AM   #18
Col
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grahamcoad Quote
I just don't like the LOOK of the hood on the 50-135, it always looked too big to me. I know this is a bit silly perhaps as its all about FUNCTION not form, BUT I just realised that the hood has the same Pentax stock number as the hood for the Pentax 60-250 mm zoom!!

It IS too big, the Pentax bean counters have us all wandering around with a lens hood on our 50-135s that was designed for a 250mm!!

I am seriously thinking to cut mine back!

Graham.
Oh man! The maximum depth of the hood is determined by the minimum focal length of a lens... and the deeper the better. So the 50-135 has limited the hood's length for the 60-250
04-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I realise that Col, BUT a hood is for two things, to reduce ambient light striking the lens surface, and to hopefully protect the lens from physical harm, dust rain...whatever. For me, and everyday use, I think a shortened lenshood will do the job effectively, be less visually imposing, less likely to 'catch' on things and so on.
I might try a cheap screw in for a while and do some comaparison shots.

04-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #20
Brooke Meyer

Had 50-135 about 3 years now, lots of use and travel, always use with hoods, not a problem. Stays reversed in bag for transport. Only use lens caps for storing in bag, never carry. Get to shoot, lens caps off, check for dust, mount lens hood & go. I did have to learn to mount properly, to fit the slot until it snaps in the detent. If not, it will fall off. User error. Embarrassed myself a few times.

Bumped around in crowds, occasionally set down when switching bodies, hoods offer a lot of protection. The deep 50-135 hood is great for snow & rain. Hood in 12-24 saved me when I was changing lens and it rolled off bench to concrete floor in arena. Hood absorbed shock, it has scratches, lens doesn't.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
04-07-2012, 07:08 AM   #21

Photos: Albums
I have the 50-135 and the 16-50. The two small plastic 'spring' retaining clips on the 50-135 hood are separated at one of their attachment points which gives them less strength to 'snap' into the detent when fully rotated on. It still holds well enough that I don't worry that it will fall off. The 16-50 hood clips are not cracked. I thought about trying to glue them but there really isn't enough surface area for that and the hood still works fine. I believe the clips break from pressure on the hood from the side when mounted backwards and placed in a bag, so I don't reverse mount the hoods anymore.

Canada_Rockies that's a great idea about the polarizer window cover. I'm going to do that, thanks.

Bill
04-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I rigged my polarizer window covers (?) using Cap Keepers. I cut off the loop part which is supposed to go around the lens barrel, stuck the button end (sticky) on the window cover, and used electrical tape to tape the string to the lens hood. Excluding the cost of the tape, about C$4 apiece.
You can also do this like me.
Drill two tiny holes and the window will never go away.

04-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
You can also do this like me.
Drill two tiny holes and the window will never go away.

That's a much better idea MegaPower! I have to renew my electrical tape from time to time as it dries out.
04-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #24

Photos: Albums
I forgot to mention, as I believe someone did above, that I actually like the broken clips on my 50-135 hood, as it requires much less torque to set it fully. It bothers me a little when putting on the 16-50 hood as I really have to give it a significant twist to get it to 'click'. I know it's not hurting anything, but it's still a bit uncomfortable.

Bill