Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA★50-135mm F2.8 ED lens hood querry

Read somewhere that the DA★50-135mm's hood can get broken pretty easily, and having used the lens for a week or so I can see how. It seems to only gingerly reverse on the lens for storage, and often doesn't stay attached this way.

Anyone decided to get an different hood for this lens? I'm concerned if I don't store the OEM one now it'll break, hold on ...

... damnit, actually it's broken already (got the camera out to look).

Any ideas?

10-13-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by a a i b Quote
Read somewhere that the DA★50-135mm's hood can get broken pretty easily, and having used the lens for a week or so I can see how. It seems to only gingerly reverse on the lens for storage, and often doesn't stay attached this way.

Anyone decided to get an different hood for this lens? I'm concerned if I don't store the OEM one now it'll break, hold on ...

Any ideas?
i also have a problem with the hood
with hood on, its impossible to get the lens cap on and off as i have large hands, yet users say i am loosing a lot of quality for not using it, the construction of it is very poor for the caliber of that lens, so i have no choice but to continously take it off and on, so as to get the lens cap off and on and its only a matter of time before it breaks, so most of the time, its left back in my cupboard.

Dave
10-13-2008, 01:11 PM   #3

Other than having just lost the removable polariser tab on holiday in Ireland through my own carelessness I don't have any issues, having used the lens for a year now, including down in the antarctic where it got bounced about quite a bit. I can just about remove the lens cap wearing undergloves (mine came with a centre-pinch cap, and I do have quite small hands, despite being 6ft and 14 stone), but that's the nature of telephoto hoods - they are deep...
10-13-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

how do you compare it to the hood of the 16-50? the 16-50 hood seems okay to me.

10-13-2008, 10:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Maybe you got bum copies of the hood? I just got my 50-135 last week and have had no issues with difficulty getting it on/off or with durability. On the other hand, the 18-250 hood gives me fits trying to get it on properly in the storage position.
10-13-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Maybe you got bum copies of the hood? I just got my 50-135 last week and have had no issues with difficulty getting it on/off or with durability. On the other hand, the 18-250 hood gives me fits trying to get it on properly in the storage position.
what i ment by design, is that if you check the price you paid for that lens, and take a close look at the mounting area of the hood, one should have expected pentax to put a little more meat in that area.

Dave
10-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

hmmmm, I actually prefered the 50-135mm hood to the hoods of my two Canon Ls (70-200mm f/4 IS and 100-400). The 50-135's hood mounts much more easily and seems more rugged (the Canon hoods are a little flimsy and the bayonet mount is tricky)

You want a BAD hood, check out the hood for the EF 85mm f/1.8. It CLIPS on and spins freely while it's mounted. So if you pick up the lens by the reversed hood, the lens goes plop on the floor
10-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #8
Pentaxian

My DA 16-45mm hood snapped with 48 hours of buying the lens.
Was in my bag all snug and safe (so I thought) and when I took it out the hood was completely broken.

10-14-2008, 02:39 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hmmm - I have no problem with the hood. It did take some getting used to taking it off and putting it on.
10-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Sounds like it almost makes a guy appreciate the hoods on the FA LTD's that are so often dissed...
10-14-2008, 05:02 PM   #11

Wow, I actually think the 50-135 hood is the best of any I have. It is thick, feels solid, strong and goes on and off the lens easily. No problems with the lens cap either, middle pinch version.

Other lens caps hoods especially the 18-250 Tamron is a massive pain to get on, not to mention it feels flimsy. But in the end as long as it produces a good quality image it's all im interested in.
10-14-2008, 09:09 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Keep those darned filter window covers ...

QuoteOriginally posted by Talisker Quote
Other than having just lost the removable polariser tab on holiday in Ireland through my own carelessness I don't have any issues,<snip>
I rigged my polarizer window covers (?) using Cap Keepers. I cut off the loop part which is supposed to go around the lens barrel, stuck the button end (sticky) on the window cover, and used electrical tape to tape the string to the lens hood. Excluding the cost of the tape, about C$4 apiece.
12-31-2010, 06:06 AM   #13

I'm about to buy a 50-135mm second hand without the lens hood. Does anybody know if the lens hood of Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 with same filter size (67mm) fitsto this lens or not?
12-31-2010, 09:41 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

The lens hood, even if it fits, may not be the best fit optically. The 50-135 hood will be tighter around the image area, and thus more effective against flare intruding from the sides. The Pentax hood seems to fit very, very tightly around the 50mm APS-C field of view based on my copy. If you can find a 50mm APS hood or a hood to fit a 75mm lens on film, it would be a better choice, even though it may not be a "petal" hood. The "petal" hoods are fitted very closely around the field of view of the zoom at its widest setting which is why the cutouts are necessary. Now if someone can create an exotic hood that moves in and out to compensate at all fields of view ...
12-31-2010, 10:16 AM   #15
Pentaxian

It does truly suck really bad...

QuoteOriginally posted by a a i b Quote

Any ideas?
Complain en masse till they upgrade it - it's TERRIBLE. When I look at the hoods for my FA* 85, it's GORGEOUS compared to that POS - lined with felt so there are NO reflections, beautiful accurate bayonette mount, clicks securely in place. They didn't even bother to sand the edges down on the new one, so the one I tried in the store you could actually get a nasty scrape from or even cut yourself in the wrong situation. Come on, Pentax, spend five or ten bucks and give us a decent hood, even if it's an option. That one must've cost you all of 20.

Dreadful thing, and embarrassing on a lens in that price range.

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The lens hood, even if it fits, may not be the best fit optically. The 50-135 hood will be tighter around the image area, and thus more effective against flare intruding from the sides. The Pentax hood seems to fit very, very tightly around the 50mm APS-C field of view based on my copy. If you can find a 50mm APS hood or a hood to fit a 75mm lens on film, it would be a better choice, even though it may not be a "petal" hood. The "petal" hoods are fitted very closely around the field of view of the zoom at its widest setting which is why the cutouts are necessary. Now if someone can create an exotic hood that moves in and out to compensate at all fields of view ...
That would be cool. And telescopically folds up...

Now we're just getting silly.

Cameron