Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2019, 01:50 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
There is one guy in my photo meetup who has a Fuji (He's primarily a Nikon guy, almost everyone else has a Canon). He played with it a bit when he first got it, but now it stays in the bag. He preferred his Nikon 1...He didn't like the battery life with the Fuji...
Fuji battery life is indeed a downside, but I am surprised the AF was better for the Pentax, my Fuji autofocus is typically superb. That's with my K-5 though, maybe the KP will change my mind about Pentax AF.

10-11-2019, 03:05 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 6BQ5 Quote
There's a first time for everything.
Naw, there isn't.

QuoteQuote:
It can be set to focus on the closest object it finds.
And then after you set if, what if your subject is the second or third object from the camera?
You answered my question and it's what I though it would be.
10-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Naw, there isn't.

And then after you set if, what if your subject is the second or third object from the camera?
You answered my question and it's what I though it would be.
It's all in relation to the AF point and what is inside it.

If two subjects are in the selected AF area then my X-T3 will pick the closer of the two. So, as an extreme case, if I have the bleachers and a player in the AF area then my X-T3 will pick the player because I configured it that. It also means my AF area is huge and I ought to make it tighter. Still, I will never get the bleachers. Ever. Likewise, if I have two kids standing in the AF area and one is further back then my X-T3 will focus on the kid standing closer. I honestly haven't used the Auto setting enough to understand its general behavior. In my photography I nearly always, always, always want the closer subject to be in focus. Forget the subject in the back. It's their fault for being in the wrong spot, right?

Now lets bring this back to the XF 100-400 vs D-FA 150-450 comparison. Despite the substantially lower build quality, less effective/intelligent OIS, and poorer optical performance I would say the lens with the X-T3 is can be more effective than a Pentax equivalent system in the same situation. The situation is "on the fly" AF-C performance at close distances with the lens at wide open or near wide open so DoF isn't providing a helping hand. Again, I'm not saying it's impossible to deliver great images with the Pentax. There are lots of examples here in the forum of awesome action. But, you aren't going to get a continuous burst of sharp images from it.

I'm almost afraid to reference this but DPReview has a pretty good assessment of the AF-C performance.

Fujifilm X-T3 Review: Digital Photography Review

Using full Auto settings resulted in lots of borked up images but tweaking them into a customized AF-C produced excellent results. You can scan through the 16 frames showing the performance of the customized AF-C settings and see every one of them is generally sharp. I don't know which lens they were using for that test - probably a longer zoom like the XF 50 - 140. The test was performed in a dark alley so the results could look better in bright sunlight. Remember, the sensor in the X-T3 has 425 on-chip PDAF points that span the entire imaging area. The processor in the camera is not starved for data.

Ok, ok ... I mentioned DPReview and I feel it's like using a curse word because of how they smeared the K-1. How many times did they have to rewrite it to get the facts straight and how many times did they had to reshoot the studio comparison scene? Whatever could have gone wrong with review did go wrong. I think the original author of the K-1 review didn't know left from right. The currently published K-1 AF-C test shows quite a number of lost shots and I've experienced those situations. I've also been fortunate to experience better hit rates than what is shown there.
10-12-2019, 01:44 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If two subjects are in the selected AF area then my X-T3 will pick the closer of the two.
you

Pentax does the same, if the program mode is set to shallow DoF (e.g portrait). If the program mode is set to max DoF, the camera will interpret the scene and focus on the far ground. It's because the program mode is not only used in P mode, P mode is also used by the Pentax camera to know what to do when evaluating a scene, i.e the camera from AE find that the scene is a landscape, a portrait etc. . Scene analysis by AE sensor is how the Pentax camera selects the jpeg styles if you set Jpeg style to Auto, but it is also how the camera select what to focus on if the AF is set to Auto and based on the program mode that you have selected. P mode on Pentax cams is also used in M, Av. Tv and Sv modes for parameters left to Auto by the user.

10-12-2019, 01:47 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Typically, if the Pentax camera exposure mode is set to Av mode, AF auto, and camera program set to landscape, the camera will focus on the background even if there is a person face in the frame. It's just that users who forgot to change the program mode think that the Pentax camera AF focused at the far distance is not working, but it is actually working as it is programmed to work. Users need to know how exactly their camera settings work before assuming that the camera doesn't work.
10-12-2019, 08:10 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now lets bring this back to the XF 100-400 vs D-FA 150-450 comparison. Despite the substantially lower build quality, less effective/intelligent OIS, and poorer optical performance I would say the lens with the X-T3 is can be more effective than a Pentax equivalent system in the same situation.
For what you use it for yes. I'm not convinced it would add anything at all to my photography. Really, sports shots from 20 feet away? You have a camera for the job... it's just, not a lot of people do that with their cameras. To me, it's pretty much irrelevant information.

Plus you don't have the equipment you're criticizing. I'd need to see you test a K-P with a 150-450 against your Fuji, my K-3 is 6 years old, and I'm pretty sure i could match your results.

Nothing to see here.

Last edited by normhead; 10-12-2019 at 08:19 AM.