Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2019, 06:36 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My top ten favorite lenses and the honorable mentions

I keep seeing Top Ten lists of all sorts of things, so I got to thinking about my lens collection and wondered what my Top Ten lenses would be. I puzzled over the question and switched lenses in and out. I use my P67 and P645 lenses on the K-1/3 and on the 645N/D/Z as well, so I just mixed the different format lenses on the same list. Most of my amateur photography involves flowers and landscape, and I have a bit of a bias toward macro and close-focussing lenses in general. I do not use AF very often, so it is easy for me to include non-AF lenses in my Top Ten. Almost all my lenses are prime, and I seldom use zoomers, so none of these are included in my Top Ten, although I am well aware that there are some truly excellent ones available. Nowadays I try not to buy any new lenses unless I think they have a fair chance of taking the place of a lens that is already in my Top Ten.

I look forward to comments and suggestions about these lists. Please feel free to tell me that I have included a bad lens (and why) . . . or tell me of something better that I should have put on the list from my Honorable Mention list or elsewhere.

Top Ten Favorite Lenses

Pentax-D FA 645 90mm f 2.8 (The lens that has everything so you can even take flower pictures in the rain.)
Carl Zeiss Planar 100mm f 2.0 macro T* (The lens that turns casual shots into art work.)
Pentax 67 75mm f 2.8 (Great lens and very good all around focal length.)
Pentax-FA 85mm f 1.4 (Good for taking pictures of people.)
Pentax-FA 77mm f 1.9 (My wife calls this one our magic lens.)
Pentax-FA 31mm f 1.8 (Lens I need to start using more than I do.)
Pentax-FA 645 35mm f 3.5 (Fantastic MFD and sharpness.)
Pentax 67 100mm f 3.5 macro 1:1 with extender (This one may be one of the world's most perfect lenses even when not using as macro.)
Pentax 67 105mm f 2.4 (Thousands of wedding photographers can't all be wrong!)
Pentax-FA 645 120mm f 4.0 (Nice macro to reach 1:1 without tubes or extenders.)

Honorable Mention

Pentax-D FA 645 55mm f 2.8 (I kept putting this one on the Top Ten list and then moving it out in favor of something else.)
Pentax-FA 43mm f 1.8 (Great normal lens, destined to live in the shade cast by the 31 and 77 limited.)
Pentax 67 55mm f 4.0 (This one should be in my top 10 because of image quality, sharpness, and close focus, but I cannot figure out which one I would remove to in order to include it.)
Pentax-D FA 50mm f 2.8 macro (My "reference" lens, the one I grab when sharpness and accurate documentation are needed.)
Mamiya C 645 80mm f 1.9 (The one for shooting in the dark, only wish it could fit on the Pentax 645 cameras.)
Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 180mm f 2.8 (Great image quality, gives impression of effortless naturalness, but heavy to carry around.)
Kiron 105mm f 2.8 1:1 macro
Canon-FD 55mm f 1.2 (converted to K mount)
Canon-FL 55mm f 1.2 (converted to K mount)
Tokina AT-X 90mm f 2.5 macro
Carl Zeiss Jena 80mm f 2.8
Crl Zeiss Jena 120mm f 2.8

Last edited by ivanvernon; 09-21-2019 at 06:38 AM. Reason: Typo
09-21-2019, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I must say that this is a very interesting Top 10 and as far as I can remember, this mix of 6x7, 645, and full frame lenses is unique. While I have (and use) all of those systems and have about half of your top ten, I would say that if I were to prepare a similar list, it would be quite different as I really prefer auto focus. Not really into preparing a similar list today but I like your thinking and choices.

Regardless, I commend you on the thought you put into this list.
09-21-2019, 10:37 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Pentax-FA 85mm f 1.4 (Good for taking pictures of people.)
Wholesome praise indeed !!! (sarcasm that is folks)

Pentax-FA 77mm f 1.9 (My wife calls this one our magic lens.)
You wife is correct

Pentax-FA 31mm f 1.8 (Lens I need to start using more than I do.)
You have clearly misread this lens from the start. It is simply THE BEST LENS EVER MADE
09-21-2019, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

My top ten list is just a list alternating between the DA15 and FA77.

09-21-2019, 11:35 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Response to pschlute

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Wholesome praise indeed !!! (sarcasm that is folks)

You wife is correct

You have clearly misread this lens from the start. It is simply THE BEST LENS EVER MADE
You are right about the FA 31. I am well aware that I have not used it as much as it deserves, and therefore do not appreciate it as much as it deserves. I resolve to do better!

My fulsome praise of the 85/1.4 was intended in a tongue-in-cheek manner. It excels in portraiture. My wife and family always used to ask me to take their pictures with the magic lens (77), now have begun asking for the big silver-colored one.

My wife calls the 77 our magic lens, which I appreciate as a tribute to my lens selecting/acquiring talent, but she has appropriated the lens and secreted it among her own camera collection so that I no longer see it or have the chance to use it. You believe the 31 is the best lens ever made, but she believes, I think, that the 77 is the best lens ever made.

Thank you for your perceptive comments!

---------- Post added 09-21-19 at 02:37 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
My top ten list is just a list alternating between the DA15 and FA77.
That works. My photography would no doubt improve if I would boil my lens collection down to two--but I am not quite sure which two!

---------- Post added 09-21-19 at 02:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I must say that this is a very interesting Top 10 and as far as I can remember, this mix of 6x7, 645, and full frame lenses is unique. While I have (and use) all of those systems and have about half of your top ten, I would say that if I were to prepare a similar list, it would be quite different as I really prefer auto focus. Not really into preparing a similar list today but I like your thinking and choices.

Regardless, I commend you on the thought you put into this list.
Thank you. I trust AF on some lenses more than others, and for certain tasks more than others. I do not trust it at all for portraiture, and despair of using AF to get the eyes in focus. I do not like AF for macro work, and always seem to get better results with manual focus. I have found AF more reliable in the newer 645 lenses, the 90mm and 55mm being the two that I have and have used. Also their AF is quieter and faster than for my other Pentax AF lenses. In looking over my Top Ten, I see that six are AF and 4 are MF, but of the second batch of 12 Honorable Mentions only 3 are AF. I think the list is interesting because of my tendency to mix and match lenses and formats. I like the medium format lenses on the K-1 because of all its features that are not available on other cameras, even the 645Z. Thank you for your comments.
09-21-2019, 12:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Funny this best lens list idea. I was wondering around yesterday thinking the same question. However, my conclusion was that it changes all the time. I started photography solely as a hobby, then sold my landscapes at exhibitions and shows. Now I work park-time doing commercial stuff. I've been critical of some lenses as they didn't fit with what I was doing, eg soft at the edges, flares, heavy, shutter vibrations et al. All my view were mostly rubbish ;-) A bad lens is probably just a misunderstood or inappropriately used lens.

Having said that, like the OP the FA 77 is a wonderful lens, which I don't use very often, but it is a joy to use - it throws up some lovely surprises. Oddly, its sibling the FA 31 has rarely worked for me.

I hated the D FA 24-70 since it appeared - it was rubbish (note past tense). Now, I am doing real estate work I use it constantly along with the IRIX 15mm, both these lenses are now wonderful ! So never listen to what I have to say on lenses - as if anyone would. Most (all) recent lenses are perfectly capable of producing stunning shots. It's what sits on the other side of our pentaprisms that likely to ruin things.

Interesting list, OP. Pointless me listing top ten as I'd have to edit it in the next few days. Less fickle folk will do way better ...

Last edited by BarryE; 09-21-2019 at 01:36 PM.
09-21-2019, 12:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Favourite lenses, I have a few and it changes ever so often.

Currently my top lenses are, in no particular order..as I'm not a math guy.

- Pentax DF A 100mm Macro F 2.8 WR
-Pentax 28-105
-Pentax 12-24
-Ricoh GR ll fixed 28 mm F 2.8
-Leitz Elmar F 3.5 50mm collapsible
-Pentax 18-135
-Pentax 40mm Ltd. F 2.8
-Pentax A 35-105 Macro Zoom
-Mamiya TLR Medium Format 80mm F 2.8 'normal'
-Mamiya TLR Medium Format 180mm Super Telephoto
-Pentax 90 mm leaf shutter 6X7 lens

Now that's a bit more than 10, by my somewhat suspect count.

09-21-2019, 12:39 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ok, thought about it some more and I'll take a stab at my top ten (covering the same 6x7, 645, and full frame systems).

No particular order
Pentax 6x7 105 great all around lens (my real choice here is the 67 LS 165mm lens but it's really specialized).
Pentax 67 55 as a very nice wide angle lens.
Pentax DA 645 28-45 zoom expensive but amazing for landscapes on the 645z
Pentax FA 645 120 macro just darn amazing lens
Pentax DFA* 70-200 zoom, razor sharp brilliant lens
Pentax DFA 100 WR macro, just the best 35mm macro I've ever used
Venus Laowa 12mm f2.8 prime - crazy wide lens very sharp as well
Pentax DFA 15-30 zoom very very very useful lens for landscape work
Pentax DA 10-17 fisheye (and also it's predecessor the FA 17-28 fisheye), this lens changed my vision and really showed me what photography can do.
Pentax 85mm f1.4 the best portrait lens ever I believe.

Well yes, their are more too and I'm not discounting the FA 31, 45, and 77 or other limited lens and some others as well but I'll go with the above list for now.
09-21-2019, 01:45 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Ok, thought about it some more and I'll take a stab at my top ten (covering the same 6x7, 645, and full frame systems).

No particular order
Pentax 6x7 105 great all around lens (my real choice here is the 67 LS 165mm lens but it's really specialized).
Pentax 67 55 as a very nice wide angle lens.
Pentax DA 645 28-45 zoom expensive but amazing for landscapes on the 645z
Pentax FA 645 120 macro just darn amazing lens
Pentax DFA* 70-200 zoom, razor sharp brilliant lens
Pentax DFA 100 WR macro, just the best 35mm macro I've ever used
Venus Laowa 12mm f2.8 prime - crazy wide lens very sharp as well
Pentax DFA 15-30 zoom very very very useful lens for landscape work
Pentax DA 10-17 fisheye (and also it's predecessor the FA 17-28 fisheye), this lens changed my vision and really showed me what photography can do.
Pentax 85mm f1.4 the best portrait lens ever I believe.

Well yes, their are more too and I'm not discounting the FA 31, 45, and 77 or other limited lens and some others as well but I'll go with the above list for now.
I see that we share the 67 55 and 105 as well as the 645 120 and the K 85/1.4. I cannot quarrel with the 10-17 fisheye as I like it very much too, but somehow do not think of it except when I am thinking whimsically. I am wishing, however, that I had the HD with the removable hood to allow circular formatting on full frame. I have been aware of the D FA 100 WR macro, suspect that if I owned it, it would appear somewhere in one of my favorites lists given my attraction for macro lenses. Fairly early on, however, I was captured or captivated by the Kiron 105 and AT-X 90 macros, and have not been able to justify anything else in full frame format. Thanks for an interesting response.
09-21-2019, 01:53 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Favourite lenses, I have a few and it changes ever so often.

Currently my top lenses are, in no particular order..as I'm not a math guy.

- Pentax DF A 100mm Macro F 2.8 WR
-Pentax 28-105
-Pentax 12-24
-Ricoh GR ll fixed 28 mm F 2.8
-Leitz Elmar F 3.5 50mm collapsible
-Pentax 18-135
-Pentax 40mm Ltd. F 2.8
-Pentax A 35-105 Macro Zoom
-Mamiya TLR Medium Format 80mm F 2.8 'normal'
-Mamiya TLR Medium Format 180mm Super Telephoto
-Pentax 90 mm leaf shutter 6X7 lens

Now that's a bit more than 10, by my somewhat suspect count.
Great listing and several lenses that I did not know about. We do not share any lenses in common, though I have and like the 67-90/2.8, just not the LS version. Here are couple of photos of kids having fun in our garden pond just yesterday, taken with the 645Z and the 67/90/2.8.

---------- Post added 09-21-19 at 04:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Funny this best lens list idea. I was wondering around yesterday thinking the same question. However, my conclusion was that it changes all the time. I started photography solely as a hobby, then sold my landscapes at exhibitions and shows. Now I work park-time doing commercial stuff. I've been critical of some lenses as they didn't fit with what I was doing, eg soft at the edges, flares, heavy, shutter vibrations et al. All my view were mostly rubbish ;-) A bad lens is probably just a misunderstood or inappropriately used lens.

Having said that, like the OP the FA 77 is a wonderful lens, which I don't use very often, but it is a joy to use - it throws up some lovely surprises. Oddly, its sibling the FA 31 has rarely worked for me.

I hated the D FA 24-70 since it appeared - it was rubbish (note past tense). Now, I am doing real estate work I use it constantly along with the IRIX 15mm, both these lenses are now wonderful ! So never listen to what I have to say on lenses - as if anyone would. Most (all) recent lenses are perfectly capable of producing stunning shots. It's what sits on the other side of our pentaprisms that likely to ruin things.

Interesting list, OP. Pointless me listing top ten as I'd have to edit it in the next few days. Less fickle folk will do way better ...
Good point that the Top Ten list changes and evolves constantly. That is my experience too as I learn more about certain lenses, move on to a different type of photography, etc. I am heavy in flowers and medium distance landscape, but deficient in long distance landscape and portraiture, and I have several lenses that could be ranked higher if I did more of that type of photography. Thanks for your interesting observations.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
09-21-2019, 03:22 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My top ten favorite lenses and the honorable mentions
Cool list! Mine (below) has a few in common with yours. Here they are in no particular order:
  1. Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.0 | C (will likely wear out before I tire of it...Flickr Explore likes it too)
  2. KMZ Helios-44M 58/2.0 (an amazing number of my personal favs have been taken with this one...colors + bokeh + 3D)
  3. Lester A. Dine 105/2.8 Dental Macro (amazing macro lens...teeth never had it so good)
  4. Pentax-FA 77/1.8 Limited (does not get used enough, but when it escapes the bag, the results are impressive...gets competition from the Helios-44M, however)
  5. Sigma 50/2.8 EX DG Macro (workhorse macro...very decent bokeh)
  6. Pentax-A 70-210/4.0 (was an impulse purchase and now is always in the bag
  7. LZOS MC Jupiter-9 85/2.0 (...currently on injured reserve due to munged diaphragm...not for sale...ever...bokeh monster)
  8. KMZ MC Zenitar 16/2.8 Fisheye (...consistently punches well above its weight...also on injured reserve waiting for internal oil removal...)
  9. Pentax-FA 35/2.0 (...workhorse fast prime on APS-C and so very useful on 35mm film too...simply delivers)
  10. LZOS Jupiter-12 35/2.8 (...simply works for 35mm rangefinder usage LTM and Contax/Kiev)

Honorable mention (the first three accompanied me over thousands of miles of trail over several decades):
  1. Tamron 28/2.5 (02B) (literally thousands of slides taken with this one)
  2. Tamron 70-150/3.5 (20A) (...faithful friend and reliable too...)
  3. Pentax-M 50/1.7 (as with the Tamron 28mm above, thousands of slides...)
  4. Tamron 70-210/3.5 (19AH) (...dense and very much needing a tripod foot, but brilliant when it hits stride)
  5. Zuiko 35/2.8 (...permanently attached to Olympus XA)
  6. Pentax-DA 18-55/3.5-5.6 (v1) (...old friend, but not up to the challenge of being mated to the K-3...)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-21-2019 at 04:09 PM.
09-21-2019, 03:58 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Cool list! Mine (below) has a few in common with yours. Here they are in no particular order:
  1. Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.0 | C (will likely wear out before I tire of it...Flickr Explore likes it too)
  2. KMZ Helios-44M 58/2.0 (an amazing number of my personal favs have been taken with this one...colors + bokeh + 3D)
  3. Lester A. Dine 105/2.8 Dental Macro (amazing macro lens...teeth never had it so good)
  4. Pentax-FA 77/1.8 Limited (does not get used enough, but when it escapes the bag, the results are impressive...gets competition from the Helios-44M, however)
  7. LZOS MC Jupiter-9 85/2.0 (...currently on injured reserve due to munged diaphragm...not for sale...ever...bokeh monster)
  8. KMZ MC Zenitar 16/2.8 Fisheye (...consistently punches well above its weight...also on injured reserve waiting for internal oil removal...)
  9. Pentax-FA 35/2.0 (...workhorse fast prime on APS-C and so very useful on 35mm film too...simply delivers)
  10. LZOS Jupiter-12 35/2.8 (...simply works for 35mm rangefinder usage LTM and Contax/Kiev)

Honorable mention (the first three accompanied me over thousands of miles of trail over several decades):
  4. Tamron 70-210/3.5 (19AH) (...dense and very much needing a tripod foot, but brilliant when it hits stride)

Steve
Interesting exercise isn't it. I have the Kiron version of the Lester Dine, and the MC Helios-44K-4 58mm f 2.0 like your KMZ Helios. I like both of these very much. While this is a very interesting exercise, we all know that it is not what you got but you do with what you got, so think I will go outside and try out my Helios before dark.
09-21-2019, 04:33 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Helios 58mm f 2.0.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

6. Pentax-DA 18-55/3.5-5.6 (v1) (...old friend, but not up to the challenge of being mated to the K-3...)

Steve
Since you so wisely mentioned the Helios 58/2 among your top favorites, I was inspired to do penance for not mentioning that lens in my Top Ten, so have gathered some flowers from our garden with this old line Soviet fellow traveler! K-1 and Helios 44K-4 58mm f 2.0.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
09-21-2019, 04:42 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll play, but do my ranking a bit differently with my personal top three in three categories, and in the order of what my interests today are (used to be wildlife and portraits were rare). BTW I nearly always carry two cameras as well.

Portrait
1. DA*55
2. DA*50-135
3. FA77

Hiking/Wildlife:
1. DFA 100WR
2. DA*200 (Pentax 1.7 TC in the bag)
3. HD DA15

Street:/walkaround
1. FA31
2. Sigma 17-50
3. HD DA15

Special mention for my top three lenses most likely to deliver an amazing shot no matter the subject, my most dependable image-wise:
1. DFA 100
2. DA*200
3. DA*55

I've own other lenses and others have been re-homed. TBH I don't think there's any other lenses I desire and I really couldn't be happier with the ones I have which my wife appreciates. Now she can get new furniture. Better be quick tho, new Pentax camera next year

Pentax FTW

---------- Post added 09-21-19 at 08:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Funny this best lens list idea. I was wondering around yesterday thinking the same question. However, my conclusion was that it changes all the time...
Spot on. Had I been asked three years ago I would have had a different list since wildlife and landscape was my primary interest, really my only one. Last year I added in a lot of street and special event. This year I've been far more interested in portraiture.

Heck maybe the stars next year?

Last edited by gatorguy; 09-22-2019 at 02:42 PM.
09-21-2019, 08:04 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I see that we share the 67 55 and 105 as well as the 645 120 and the K 85/1.4. I cannot quarrel with the 10-17 fisheye as I like it very much too, but somehow do not think of it except when I am thinking whimsically. I am wishing, however, that I had the HD with the removable hood to allow circular formatting on full frame. I have been aware of the D FA 100 WR macro, suspect that if I owned it, it would appear somewhere in one of my favorites lists given my attraction for macro lenses. Fairly early on, however, I was captured or captivated by the Kiron 105 and AT-X 90 macros, and have not been able to justify anything else in full frame format. Thanks for an interesting response.
Actually, I meant the FA*85 f1.4 not the K 85 however, there is a link and connection between the lenses. The DFA 100 WR is a wonderful lens but...I always wanted the now mythical Voighlander 125 macro as my macro holy grail.

Thanks to you for an interesting thread!